1 min test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
smkalfur

Post by smkalfur » July 14th, 2020, 10:12 pm

Hello! This is my one minute test. I used Audacity on a Chromebook using a USB microphone.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_smkalfur.mp3

Thanks!

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » July 15th, 2020, 9:23 am

Hi, and a big welcome to LibriVox! :)

You have a lovely voice that I hope to hear in future recordings! :wink: But before you get started in the official projects, there are a few things to correct here.

*First of all, at the bottom left corner in Audacity there's a box labeled Project Rate (Hz). This needs to be set to 44100.

*Your volume is quite low yet (78.3 dB), while our range is 86-92 dB with a target of 89 dB. However in this file you will not be able to amplify enough without first de-amplifying or compressing the spike at ~28 seconds. Rather than making all the adjustments on this file, I would suggest re-recording and try to get the volume close to the correct level from the start. Mic placement may be one of your biggest areas to experiment- distance from mouth, and angling to avoid your breath hitting it too directly.

*Background hum is something else you'll want to watch out for, especially if you needed to amplify as it also amplifies noise. On this file it's noticeable but not extreme.

*And lastly, when you go to export the mp3, there's one setting to adjust before hitting save. In the bottom section, for Channel Mode you will need to select 'Force export to mono'. It looks like you've got the rest of those settings already in line. :thumbs:

Go ahead and experiment with the info I've given, then record and reload a new test with a slightly different file name. Post the link in this same thread, and we'll go from there. This might look like quite a bit to change, but most of this will stay set for you in the future and save you lots of time. :)

Again, welcome to LV! I'll be eager to see you ready to roll! :9:
~Rosebud

smkalfur

Post by smkalfur » July 15th, 2020, 11:20 am

Here is my new test! I had trouble figuring everything out but I think I got everything.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test2_smkalfur_.mp3

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » July 15th, 2020, 12:41 pm

Yay! Those tricky technical settings are all correct now! :clap:

And your volume has come up drastically as well. :) It is actually at the upper end of our range now (91.3 dB), but OK. Here's a link to the wiki page that talks about Checker, the handy tool that checks volume, settings, etc. https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker

The main thing I'd suggest working on yet is the plosives, or getting to where there's less air hitting the mic. You might need to almost 'talk past' your mic... Many people use pop filters, but it's also possible to avoid most of this by moving the mic a little farther away from the mouth or a bit to the side. I don't know what you've already done or what will work best for you. I really hate asking you to re-record, but I think that in the long run the efforts put in now will be worth it.

Keep up the good work! You'll get there soon! :thumbs:

Thanks,
~Rosebud

smkalfur

Post by smkalfur » July 17th, 2020, 1:02 pm

Thank you so much for all the feedback! I think I fixed the breath problem. Let me know!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test3_smkalfur.mp3

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » July 17th, 2020, 10:14 pm

Oh wow! It sounds so much better!

Only issue now is that the volume is at 84.4 dB, so if you'd amplify it 5 dB it'd be about perfect. Could you please amplify this file (without re-recording) and upload? I'm pretty sure that'll be all that needs done, but we'd better make sure. :)

Thanks,
~Rosebud

smkalfur

Post by smkalfur » July 18th, 2020, 7:42 am

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » July 18th, 2020, 3:39 pm

Great! You can head over to the Readers Wanted forums and claim a section or two that look interesting. Have fun! :D
Kathrine

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » July 18th, 2020, 9:01 pm

Just wanted to pop in and add my congrats! It really does sound great now! :9: And a big welcome to the LV community- I'm sure you'll enjoy it a lot!! :D
~Rosebud