COMPLETE: Two Years in Oregon by Wallis Nash -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Two Years in Oregon by Wallis Nash (1837 - 1926).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found in the LibriVox catalog.

https://librivox.org/two-years-in-oregon-by-wallis-nash/

Wallis Nash was a British lawyer who visited Oregon and later emigrated with his family. His account covers a great breadth of description of the state of Oregon from natural history to business and climate, from the coast through the great Willamette Valley to the reaches of central and eastern Oregon. It is not travelogue but a comprehensive description in the most positive light to encourage others to follow his example to settle in the state of Oregon, so full of promise. ( Larry Wilson)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/35288
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Travel & Geography

Keywords that describe the book: exploration, Pacific, agriculture, Natural History, emigration, willamette, cascades, portland, homesteading

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] [part number] of Two Years in Oregon. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Two Years in Oregon, by Wallis Nash. [Chapter Title and part number]"

NOTE: Please do NOT read that summaries at the beginning of the chapters.
      END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Chapter [number][part number]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Two Years in Oregon, by Wallis Nash. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      twoyearsinoregon_##_nash_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. twoyearsinoregon_01_nash_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags ID3 tags will be added automatically during cataloging.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo/color]
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

Larry, I would like to PL this if you need me?
Cheryls
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I can MC for you, Larry. MW will be along shortly. I entered Cheryls as DPL.
Jo
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

cherylstewart wrote: July 15th, 2020, 12:17 pm Larry, I would like to PL this if you need me?
Cheryls
Oh, thank you so much, Cheryl!
This makes me so happy. :9:

I'm thinking of putting together a pronunciation guide for some of the more unusual Oregon place names. Like Yaquina and Siletz -- or even Oregon. At least I didn't see reference to one of my favorite little coastal towns, Yachats.
~ Larry
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

I was just looking at Yachats on the map and thinking of going there, so cool and fresh. Right now - 110 degrees here in Tucson today.

I have really been wanting some one to read some Oregon history for LV. Thanks

Yes, I think a pronouncing gazetteer would be a good idea. Oregon = orygun, etc :lol:
Cheryl
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Whew! 110 - too much for me. Enjoying milder weather here in New Hampshire.

Yachats was a much smaller village when we vacationed there yearly when I was young boy. California seems to have discovered it :roll:
But, it is just around the cape from our favorite campground and Devil's Churn. That's Cape Perpetua, the highest point on the Oregon coast with one of the greatest views!

I'll see what I can do about a pronunciation guide. Just about finished with an Oregon project, so thought we could do another. In the Oregon Country viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80325

Too late tonight to work on the MW, but will have it up tomorrow.
Of course, if you want to read anything, I'll be glad to PL for you. :wink:
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: July 15th, 2020, 1:53 pm I can MC for you, Larry. MW will be along shortly. I entered Cheryls as DPL.
Thank you for picking this up, Jo!
The MW is populated and we are ready for readers.

I'll work on getting a pronunciation guide recorded, but we can take claims now.
~ Larry
imfrom51

Post by imfrom51 »

Hello. I'll take chapter 1. :-) Thanks
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

imfrom51 wrote: July 21st, 2020, 1:32 am Hello. I'll take chapter 1. :-) Thanks
Great!
I haven't got my pronunciation guide done yet, so just ask if you have any questions, or check them on one of the pronunciation sites.
Welcome to ORYGUN!
~ Larry
imfrom51

Post by imfrom51 »

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/twoyearsinoregon_01_nash_128kb.mp3

Time 18:03

No worries on the pronunciation, i did check online regarding 2 of the names. However, if they need changing, let me know.

Thanks
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

Section 1 PL notes: Wonderful start to this project. :clap: Your place names sound good to me. I understand that Larry doesn't want to include the summary of what is covered in the upcoming chapter. So could you please remove that part. Larry, if I misunderstand lets us know.
Cheryls
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Larry,

I am glad to hear that we have someone who is familiar with Oregon names! I was raised in Beaverton and know that the names could be confusing to some. I will be back to claim some sections when I get caught up. :shock:

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
imfrom51

Post by imfrom51 »

cherylstewart wrote: July 24th, 2020, 9:17 pm Section 1 PL notes: Wonderful start to this project. :clap: Your place names sound good to me. I understand that Larry doesn't want to include the summary of what is covered in the upcoming chapter. So could you please remove that part. Larry, if I misunderstand lets us know.
Cheryls
No Problems. All done.

Time 17:26

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/twoyearsinoregon_01_nash_128kb.mp3
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

Section 1 PL OK
Thank you, Nice job. FYI, the system for the status in the magic window is that you set it to "ready for spot check", then I set it to PL OK, after I have checked the new file. Cheryl
Barefootmark

Post by Barefootmark »

Good afternoon- I would like to take chapters 2 and 3, for starters. i'll see how long it takes, but I should be able to push through them pretty quick. My name for this recording is Landon Mathew.
Any questions, you can email me directly at (email address removed by admin)

Thanks,

Mark