[COMPLETE] Flowers of Freethought (First Series) by G.W. Foote - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Flowers of Freethought (First Series) by George William Foote (1850 - 1915).

This project is now complete! All recordings can be downloaded from the catalog page here:
https://librivox.org/flowers-of-freethought-first-series-by-george-william-foote/

A collection of 51 short essays by George William Foote, who founded the magazine "The Freethinker", which is still published. These essays, previously published in "The Freethinker" over more than 10 years, detail his views on religion and Christianity. Foote writes about diverse topics like specific stories from the Bible, the devil, blasphemy and heretics, miracles, the weather, and the view of Christianity on women. What unites these essays is his conviction that atheism is the logical and natural position with respect to religion and gods. ( Availle)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/30202
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================
    Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Philosophy/Atheism & Agnosticism; *Non-fiction/Essays & Short Works
    Keywords that describe the book: religion, Christianity, collection, essays, atheism, apologetics, freethought
    ============================================
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of Flowers of Freethought (First Series). This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Flowers of Freethought by George William Foote. Section [number]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Flowers of Freethought (First Series) by George William Foote. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    flowersfreethought1_##_foote_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. flowersfreethought1_01_foote_128kb.mp3)

Please ignore ID3 tags - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Availle
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
TalkingTony

Post by TalkingTony »

Hey, can I volunteer for section 1? Foote's activism was important to me, I'd love to read his works for this project!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Of course you can, have fun! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
EltonTheSnowman

Post by EltonTheSnowman »

Hi, I'd like to claim sections 6 and 7. :)
Matea Bracic

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

All yours, thank you! :D

Let's move over to the "Short Works" forum too.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
AnaNaumoska

Post by AnaNaumoska »

:clap:

I'd like 50, please!
Ana :mrgreen:

salus populi suprema lex
AnaNaumoska

Post by AnaNaumoska »

Or actually, if you're in need of a DPL, I'd love to! :lol:

salus populi suprema lex
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

May I read section 25?
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Scarbo is in for 25, and Ana for 50. Thank you!

And Ana, thank you for taking on the responsibility of DPL - have fun! :D
I see you're new to PLing, which means two things:

1. You need a new password for the Magic Window (which will work for all your DPL/BC projects and the uploader). Just click on the "BC Admin" link underneath the MW and follow the instructions.

2. Have a quick look at our instructions for DPLs here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Guide_for_Proof-listeners
It's not difficult, you can take the test at the bottom if you like.

Thanks for listening. :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
AnaNaumoska

Post by AnaNaumoska »

Awesome! Thank you😊

salus populi suprema lex
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Ava,

May I please have 21 - Huxley's Mistake? Thanks
Jo
NoelVox

Post by NoelVox »

Hi Ava,

Could I please have Section 40 - Walt Whitman.

Thanks!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks for claiming jo! I wonder what Darwin's Bulldog got wrong... :D

Hi NoelVox, welcome to LV and to this project!
I see that you have got an OK on your test, so you're ready to go, so section 40 is all yours.
What I would need to fully sign you up is a catalog name. This can be your forum name, your real name, anything really. If you are planning on saying a name in your recording, this would be a wise decision for your catalog name so that your fans can find you. Just let me know.

Have fun on here! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
NoelVox

Post by NoelVox »

Hello -

I've uploaded Section 40 here: https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/flowersfreethought1_40_foote_128kb.mp3

Length: 8min 5s

Enjoyed reading this and it looks like a great book! Look forward to any feedback.

Thanks
NoelVox

Post by NoelVox »

Hi Ava-

If all is well with the previous file, I would also like to take Section 38, Victor Hugo.

Thanks!