[COMPLETE] Martin Chuzzlewit by Charles Dickens-icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Martin Chuzzlewit by Charles Dickens (1812 - 1870). Translated by Brad Filippone ( - 0)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/martin-chuzzlewit-version-3-by-charles-dickens/
Dickens portrayal of selfishness, in this case in the Chuzzlewit family. Old Martin has a great fortune, and everyone wants in on it, especially distant cousin Seth Pecksniff. Meanwhile, his grandson, young Martin, has fallen in love with his grandfather's ward Mary and is disinherited, sending young Martin on an adventure in America from which he will return a changed man. Will he win Mary? Also featuring the dastardly villain Jonas Chuzzlewit, young Martin's cousin, and the hilarious nurse/midwife Sarah Gamp, who is usually found in a state of intoxication. ( Brad J Filippone)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/968
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
    [*] Project Code: s6eGrbGy

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Charles Dickens) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Dickens

[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Chuzzlewit
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 54
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
    [*]Original publication date (if known): 1842-44
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Hamlet Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================ [/size]

Genres for the project: Literary Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of Martin Chuzzlewit. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Martin Chuzzlewit, by Charles Dickens. Translated by Brad Filippone ( - 0) [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of Martin Chuzzlewit by Charles Dickens. Translated by Brad Filippone ( - 0) This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Martin Chuzzlewit, by Charles Dickens. Translated by Brad Filippone ( - 0)"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename martinchuzzlewit_##_dickens_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. martinchuzzlewit_01_dickens_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Charles Dickens
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: Martin Chuzzlewit

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: icequeen
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

I request my usual MC "Icequeen" and my usual PL "Fiddlesticks," please :D

Brad "Hamlet" Filippone
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

And I am checking in as DPL :D
~Tiffany
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

I'm actually thinking hard about what voice to use for Sarah Gamp--and she doesn't even appear until chapter 19.
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

Haha, she is a character! I am sure you will find the perfect tone for her :lol:
~Tiffany
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

The MW is ready for you! As soon as I know you have seen what I have done, then we can move on to Going Solo!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

I see it. And I see I keep making the same mistake when I prepare the form. There are actually fifty-FOUR chapters besides the "Section 0" Preface. I do that every time, don't I? lol

Thank you. :)

Brad
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

That's OK, we all do that! You now have 56 total sections, including the 00 section. I think that's it, if not, then we can add or take away!

And, off we go to going Solo!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Thank you. There are just 54 chapters, so now there is one too many. But I notice one chapter is rather long, who knows? I might just need that extra section. :)

Brad
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Hamlet wrote: June 20th, 2020, 6:12 pm Thank you. There are just 54 chapters, so now there is one too many. But I notice one chapter is rather long, who knows? I might just need that extra section. :)

Brad

OK, I think I will leave there, just in case! (It has been a long day, my math is suffering for it!)
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

I got off to a fast start, but I'll probably slow down a little now. Preface and first four chapters are read and uploaded.

I may as well bring up here something that I mentioned near the end of the American Notes thread. There is a Postscript common to both books which came from a speech he made on the occasion of his second trip to America in 1868. For some reason, the Project Gutenberg file puts the Postscript at the beginning of their Martin Chuzzlewit text instead of at the end. He states that in all future editions of the books he wants the postscript included, as it is his fresh view of America (young Martin, of course, travels to America in the middle chapters and encounters many of the things which Dickens did when he was there, hence it's inclusion in that book).
I have already recorded this at the end of the very last section of American Notes. I am wondering if it is necessary to read it again when I eventually get to the final chapter of Martin Chuzzlewit, or could I simply cut and paste the recording I included in American Notes? Or for that matter, is it necessary to include it at all?

Brad
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

It is up to you if you want to include the postscript, since it is in American Notes, do you really need to read it here too? Only you can answer that question. If you don't feel that it really needs to be here too, then feel free to leave it off. As far as reusing what you have already read for another project, the answer is that you need to record it again for this project. At some point, very early in LibriVox history, it was decided, in order to prevent readers from inflating their section counts by recording one text then putting it in 5 different projects, to require readers to give a new recording for the same text to be included in each project. I hope that makes sense!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

sections 0-3 are PL OK!
~Tiffany
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

The next three chapters are ready for PL.

Since you're already familiar with the book, you know the major characters. I always struggle in my mind to know what voices to use. Most of the major characters have now been introduced. Do they sound as you imagine them?
Of course, I'm still a long way from Sarah Gamp's first appearance. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do for her lol.

Brad
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

4, 5, and 6 are PL OK!

Ya, I really think they are all sounding great! Personally I always imagine Tigg as having a much more rough, gravelly voice, but that is just me, and I imagine could be hard to keep up for very long!
~Tiffany