[COMPLETE] Dialogo dei massimi sistemi by Galilei - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

Michael,
I will listen, probably tomorrow, to your sample and give you my frank opinion and suggestions. Of course I'll try to keep in mind the LVX indications on this matter, that is not so important to give too much attention to the accent, as to verify mainly that the reading is understandable enough (Monika please correct me, in case, on these indications).
Anyway, Michael, thanks since now for your efforts.
Pier
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

Michael: jolly good! :clap:
I liked your reading in your test and did not notice any principal remark to be made: The text is clear to understand (even without looking at the text!) and there is not any important mistake in pronunciation or discrepancy from the text.
Of course I can feel that your accent is not of a mother Italian speaker, but this is not disturbing at all to my ear, on the contrary it is giving the sympathetic atmosphere of “internationality” I was speaking about in a previous post.
In other words, this portion could be PL O.K as it is.
Just two minor remarks in the way I and Emanuela (as from a mutual agreement between us, as native Italian speakers) indicate one to the other, for love of a full ”historical” adherence to the original text. But this attention is absolutely not required by LVX rules, as far as the reading is clear to understand and the meaning of the text is not altered.
So please consider the following remarks just as a suggestion, to consider if you like to revise them or not:
- At 1:52 m pag. 265 14th line, “ de gli ossi mobile “ I can not hear well “de gli” but rather “ de li”
- At 3:52 m pag 265 8 line before end of page: written“ dependenti”, read “dipendenti”. (The meaning is unchanged).
Please let me know if you like me to note such small details in the future, being “pernickety” or not.
But, in any case, I will indicate in future readings parts which have to be revised (not such cases in this sample).
Conclusion:Hurrah! We really found a new reader for our project! :thumbs:
Good reading!
Pier
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Thanks for the close listen Pier! I'm happy to hear that. :9:

Sure, since it looks like word-perfect PL notes may be manageable in size even for my reading, I'd like to know about such minor discrepancies, and if I decide to leave some of them unchanged, I'll let you know which ones. It will be a fun challenge, which should sharpen my ear to the details of the language.

Michael
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

You all are so cool! :thumbs:
Eysiss

Post by Eysiss »

The little snail is catching up!

Here my suggestions for Section 27:

13:29 p.207, 18 lines from top: "sono la quantita'" instead of "sono le quantita'"
20:32 p.209, 18 lines from top: "il voler trattare'" instead of "il voler trattar'"

And here a couple of things that I like you to hear and see if you prefer to change (but that are no mistake):
23:04 p.210, 10 lines from top: is a question , but I cannot hear the question mark at the end of the sentence. If you hear without the text it seems a proposition to me.
28:01 p.211, line before the last: there is a little latin here. It seems to me that you've read "ignotum per ignotius" but I would rather have read "ignotum per ignozius" (since there is the common rule of ti-->zi)
but since you are waaaay better then me in latin, perhaps I'm wrong.

Emanuela
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
Eysiss

Post by Eysiss »

Now I just need to find a way to squeeze time and record my section... :shock:
Emanuela
:wink:
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

Emanuela, the snail is really accelerating! :thumbs:
Thanks for your remarks. I'll check better tomorrow, but I think you are right also in the last two remarks. In fact I remember I too had some doubts on both points re-listening to my record, even if I did not correct them on the moment.
Pier
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

Emanuela, here is the revised sec. 27
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/dialogomassimisistemi_27_galilei_128kb.mp3
(28:25 m)
I have changed in correspondence to all your remarks since I fully share them.
I’m looking forward to listening to your last section!
Pier
Eysiss

Post by Eysiss »

And also section 27 is Pl OK!
Thank you Pier!! :clap:

Emanuela
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

Thanks Emanuela, and this makes 80 % of completed sections ( actually our friend Galileo, as a scientist, could point out that we are only at 79,66%, but the MW approximates the figure to the unit! :wink: )
Pier
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Wow! :9:

I'll check the MW for the times tomorrow, too tired, but I wanted to leave a thank you :)
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

moniaqua wrote: July 9th, 2020, 10:40 am Wow! :9:

I'll check the MW for the times tomorrow, too tired, but I wanted to leave a thank you :)
:thumbs:
Pier
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

I uploaded sec.28:
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/dialogomassimisistemi_28_galilei_128kb.mp3
(34:10 m)
I assign myself now section 29 “Giornata seconda parte quindicesima”
Pier
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

One remark concerning sec. 28. At pag.214, 23 lines before the end of the page there is the latin sentence: “Sphaera aenea non tangit in puncto”.
I had some doubts about :hmm: how to read the diphthong “ae”. As “e” following the “ecclesiastical” pronunciation, or “ae” following the “classic” one. Considering Galileo time, I went for the ecclesiastical one, that I imagine was the one used by Galileo.
Any comment on the matter of course is welcome.
Pier
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

I agree that ecclesiastical pronunciation makes sense for this text, but the word aeneus is a special case, because the second letter is long. It's sometimes spelled "aëneus" or "aheneus", so a and e would be read as two separate vowels.

Michael