"After the dazzle of day is gone,
Only the dark, dark night shows to my eyes the stars;
After the clangor of organ majestic, or chorus, or perfect band,
Silent, athwart my soul, moves the symphony true."
Walt Whitman
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

reecedawg wrote: June 25th, 2020, 12:37 amHere's Cheviot, with as much smarm and melodrama as I could muster...
haha I loved the sobbing outburst all through the acts. :mrgreen: You are definitely up for melodrama :thumbs: Cheviot is such a fickle lover, constantly hopping from one tree to the next (to stay in the picture of the play). Somehow they all deserve each other, everybody is so money-focused in this play. :|

Excellent job, and this was a long role :shock: well done, Matt. Acts 1 and 2 are straight PL ok, but I found one tiny error in Act 3:

> at 13:24: (p. 82) "he's got his arm around her waist at this moment" – you say "her arm" which sounds weird in context

Thanks !

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Missing a Cheviot line in Act 2: (page 66) Oh, my solicitor, no doubt. Show him up.

Separate file please.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Drafts prepared of Acts 1 and 2. Not ready for PL yet.

Thanks, Todd
reecedawg

Post by reecedawg »

Thank you for catching those.

Here is the missing line from Act II (0:10)
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/engaged_cheviot_missingline_128k.mp3

And the corrected Act III (19:04)
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/engaged_cheviot_3_128kb.mp3

If anything else pops up that needs fixing, let me know. :-)
"After the dazzle of day is gone,
Only the dark, dark night shows to my eyes the stars;
After the clangor of organ majestic, or chorus, or perfect band,
Silent, athwart my soul, moves the symphony true."
Walt Whitman
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

reecedawg wrote: June 25th, 2020, 9:39 pmThank you for catching those.
Here is the missing line from Act II (0:10)
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/engaged_cheviot_missingline_128k.mp3
And the corrected Act III (19:04)
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/engaged_cheviot_3_128kb.mp3
thank you, Matt, both PL ok now. Sorry for missing that line :oops:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Act 3 now also assembled. (Had to add a line by Angus I forgot about.)

So one more role and we be alls done yup.

Thanks, Todd
emminz

Post by emminz »

Sorry for the wait! We got hit by prolonged storms and the pitterpatter and howling kept coming through. Here are the last parts, Belinda Treherne:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/engaged_belindatreherne_1_128kb.mp3 (6:00)
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/engaged_belindatreherne_2_128kb.mp3 (6:30)
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/engaged_belindatreherne_3_128kb.mp3 (7:25)

This is my first time acting a dialogue part for a dramatic reading, so I'm a bit unsure about how I did. Mostly I'm concerned about the sound levels and acting. Am I too loud at times and too quiet at other times? Am I over-acting? I'll gladly redo if it's sub-par.
- Emmi
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I am delighted to have these since they are the last files. But note that your claim was good for 2 months so you had plenty of time remaining (and I have lottsa other plays keeping me busy!).

Sonia will PL soon.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

emminz wrote: July 8th, 2020, 10:59 amThis is my first time acting a dialogue part for a dramatic reading, so I'm a bit unsure about how I did. Mostly I'm concerned about the sound levels and acting. Am I too loud at times and too quiet at other times? Am I over-acting? I'll gladly redo if it's sub-par.
it is definitely NOT sub-par ! Quite the contrary. Emmi, this is absolutely a great character development. You play Belinda very accurately I think, a bit of a mercenary money-grabbing woman in search of a rich husband :lol: I love the arrogance you put on when you speak to Symperson in Act 2. :thumbs:

The volume is perfect too, you did not raise the voice excessively, even if you speak louder, this is perfect. And you cannot really "over-act" in these plays, especially not in such a comedy. Hamming it up is part of the fun. :lol:

All in all, a very good performance. If this is your first drama role, you have quite a talent for it. And I hope you liked it too, so I can hear you soon in another play. ;) plenty to choose from still and I also predict that Todd will launch the next Gilbert comedy soon. :mrgreen:

All acts PL ok, that means they are ready to be assembled. :9: Looking forward to hearing all in context.

Only one comment concerning the spaces in between quotes. You missed it at one spot in Act 1: at 0:43: (p. 44) between "carry with me to the tomb" and "Belvawney": these are two separate quotes but are nearly glued to each other. This is very difficult to fiddle with to cut out. I think Todd can manage for once, so no need to reupload just for that, and all the other parts you have nicely separated, so I'm sure this was only an oversight.

Thank you, it was quite entertaining !!

Sonia
emminz

Post by emminz »

Kitty wrote: July 9th, 2020, 1:07 am it is definitely NOT sub-par ! ...
Thank you for all the encouragement! Very reassuring to hear. I'm glad it was alright; I had a lot of fun with the part. Always thought I was born an awful actor, but Belinda was very easy to play - maybe that's a worrying sign. I look forward to picking up another role. You and Todd are both wonderful to work with, so this nook of Librivox feels like a safe haven.

Regarding the missing pause, I had truncated off silences to make it faster to listen through, and added pauses after deeming it decent. Of course one slipped by.. :roll: If Todd has a hard time, I can edit it in and reupload too, it's no problem.
- Emmi
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

All assembled. Now, one more pass to groom....

Belinda's file volume and gaps were great.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Act 1 ready for final PL. Ye all soond grawt!

Thankye, Tood
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Act 2 also ready. The complications mount up!

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

And - Act 3. What a performance!

Thank you all, and especially DPL Sonia for keeping all our rolled-r's under control.

Todd