What made you choose your nickname?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
EltonTheSnowman

Post by EltonTheSnowman »

My nickname is the name of the main character in a comedy audio series called “The Last Hurrah”. Elton was voiced by the late and great Rik Mayall (for those of you who haven’t heard of him, he was a brilliant British comedian and actor; do check out his work on YouTube). The plot revolves around Elton, who is the last remaining snowman on Earth and he’s telling his very exciting life story to a young journalist. It’s belly-achingly funny, but a fair warning to those that want to listen to it: plenty of explicit language and rude stories included.
A second series (or season) was planned but, sadly, due to Rik’s untimely death in 2014, it was never made. The remaining five scripts were published in a book alongside the six original ones, so I naturally had to buy it. I decided to record the unrecorded scripts for my own amusement (and to entertain some of my close friends). I realized that I was having a lot of fun recording and I started getting interested in doing voice overs and voice acting. Not long afterwards I stumbled upon Librivox on a Reddit thread and voilà! Since Elton the snowman was responsible for my interest in recording and ultimately registering to Librivox, it was only appropriate to choose his name as my nickname (and to honor the memory of Rik Mayall as well).
Matea Bracic

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

EltonTheSnowman wrote: June 18th, 2020, 1:57 am Elton was voiced by the late and great Rik Mayall (for those of you who haven’t heard of him, he was a brilliant British comedian and actor; do check out his work on YouTube)
An utter, utter, utter, utter brilliant comedian, surely? :wink:

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
EltonTheSnowman

Post by EltonTheSnowman »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: June 19th, 2020, 1:27 am
EltonTheSnowman wrote: June 18th, 2020, 1:57 am Elton was voiced by the late and great Rik Mayall (for those of you who haven’t heard of him, he was a brilliant British comedian and actor; do check out his work on YouTube)
An utter, utter, utter, utter brilliant comedian, surely? :wink:

Cheers,
Chris
Yes, that’s exactly what I meant. An utter, utter, utter, utter basta... Er, legend. :wink:
Matea Bracic

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
CSCO

Post by CSCO »

Hi, all.

As you know, I came from the 1021st Century. I was a guardian of time in the future. My office was at Kasumigaseki (霞ヶ関). I belonged to Chronicle Savers Central Office and my identification tag read CSCO10104887. The most left digit represents permission. I could use both a timeboat and a handy gravity cannon. The next three digits are county code. The 010 means Japan. The last half of the digits are in hexadecimal. The 4887 illustrates that the organization hired me as the 72135th eye since it was established. (Now, I've been transported to today to serve a life sentence. I see my day in a dream sometimes.)
!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!
No way. He stole away a pretty thing, you know.
That's your heart.
!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

Well, I read lots of books(hence the ‘bookworm’) in a wide field of subjects(all kinds, so 360 degrees of literary interest). A bit of a stretch, but oh well. At first I thought it was too generic, but my opinion differs now. :wink:
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

My own forum-name is from the final verse of the Henry Lawson poem "In The Days When The World Was Wide", and refers to the Australian city of Sydney's origin in 1788 as a prison colony for transported convicts from Britain.

"The world shall yet be a wider world — for the tokens are manifest;
East and North shall the wrongs be hurled that followed us South and West.
The march of Freedom is North by the Dawn! Follow, whate’er betide!
Sons of the Exiles, march! March on! March till the world grows wide!"

https://www.telelib.com/authors/L/LawsonHenry/verse/world_wide/worldwide.html

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
DeBug

Post by DeBug »

Growing up in a large family it was common for our parents to call us by our nicknames. Mine was "Bug" and sometimes "The Bug" or "Bugless" (a play on Douglas) even into adulthood. One of my co-workers misunderstood my mom calling me "The Bug" one day when I had her on speaker during a phone call. He thought she said debug as in software debugging. The misunderstood name stuck which was fine by me. Even my parents picked up my new moniker. My parents have passed on but my sister to this day still calls me "Doug DeBug."
I’m here for the blanket fort.
CC is very welcome. Please do make suggestions or recommend exercises to help me improve. Thank you!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

DeBug wrote: July 6th, 2020, 11:30 am Growing up in a large family it was common for our parents to call us by our nicknames. Mine was "Bug" and sometimes "The Bug" or "Bugless" (a play on Douglas) even into adulthood. One of my co-workers misunderstood my mom calling me "The Bug" one day when I had her on speaker during a phone call. He thought she said debug as in software debugging. The misunderstood name stuck which was fine by me. Even my parents picked up my new moniker. My parents have passed on but my sister to this day still calls me "Doug DeBug."
What a great story! Family nicknames are always so funny, aren't they, although they seem totally normal inside the family. My mom's nickname for me is Furry. (Devorah>Devorie>Devurrie>DeFurry>Furry) She called me this one day when my husband was around, and he was confused when I answered. "Devorah, she was talking to the dog!" :lol:
DeBug

Post by DeBug »

mightyfelix wrote: July 6th, 2020, 12:06 pm What a great story! Family nicknames are always so funny, aren't they, although they seem totally normal inside the family. My mom's nickname for me is Furry. (Devorah>Devorie>Devurrie>DeFurry>Furry) She called me this one day when my husband was around, and he was confused when I answered. "Devorah, she was talking to the dog!" :lol:
Ha. "DeFurry" is great DeSomething nickname! I can see how that can be a funny bit when doggo is around :)

I called my daughter "Nana-Poo" since she was a toddler. One day during her college years, she asked very politely if I would call her by her real name, Cynthia. I gleefully said of course! But in truth, I was heartbroken. After that, phone conversations were awkward as I would pause to carefully say her real name. This would usually be followed by an awkward pause. Finally, after about a week, she sent me a text and asked that I switch back to Nana-Poo. I was relieved. I don't use it around her friends of course.

Is it me or do you think family nicknames are less popular today?
I’m here for the blanket fort.
CC is very welcome. Please do make suggestions or recommend exercises to help me improve. Thank you!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

DeBug wrote: July 6th, 2020, 3:31 pm Is it me or do you think family nicknames are less popular today?
:hmm: I don't know how you would really know. Like you said about your daughter, I think most people don't use these kinds of names where others can hear. (My husband didn't count, of course. By that time, he was already stuck with us!)
LydiaCW

Post by LydiaCW »

I chose just to go with my real first name, and my last two initials. Lydia doesn't tend to be a common name anyway, so if I can get people to get it right and not call me Olivia or Linda I'm going to go for it!
Lydia

Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomine tuo da glorium!
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

Not something that would typically come up in conversation around here given the time period we cover - but I'm a big ol' video game nerd. Always have been. Primarily "retro" stuff - the 8-bit & 16-bit consoles are my absolute favourite. NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, etc.

I avoided modern consoles for a long time - not on principle or anything, I just didn't have enough interest to justify the cost. The Nintendo GameCube I've had since 2002 is quite modern enough for me, thank you very much.

Somewhere around 2015, due to various life reasons, my partner at the time had to move some possessions to my apartment - including their PlayStation 4. Not only had I never used a PS4 in my life, I had barely even used the earlier PlayStation models. I owned a PS2 for awhile, but mostly just used it as a DVD player.

So, having skipped a few generations of consoles entirely, and having had very little exposure to Sony's systems in the first place, diving into PS4 gaming was a like entering whole new world. So many things that most gamers took for granted seemed earth-shattering to me, and "Ooo, that's nifty!" quickly became a common refrain and a running joke.

When it came time for me to set up my own profile on the system, it seemed like an obvious choice for a username. I've been using some variation of it for most of my online accounts ever since.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

Readers Wanted: Seen on the Stage, by Clayton Hamilton
Kristine1990

Post by Kristine1990 »

My forum name is my first name and my birth year. What can I say? I came up with it fast. :lol:
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Kristine1990 wrote: September 18th, 2020, 7:48 pm My forum name is my first name and my birth year. What can I say? I came up with it fast. :lol:
That's what I usually end up doing. I've never been good at coming up with creative usernames.
Last edited by Piotrek81 on September 18th, 2020, 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Kristine1990

Post by Kristine1990 »

I never was either, Piotrek81. Every time I go for a nickname, someone either already has it, or it's one I didn't remember I had used lol.