COMPLETE[PLAY]Alias Miss Sherlock by Tubbs - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Having just moved to the South two years ago, I though I learned in my "How to Talk Southern" class that the plural form was "ye'all".

(The singular "y'all" was already in my vocabulary, but as a type of sailboat.)

Thanks, Todd
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

benderca wrote: July 6th, 2020, 4:51 am Sorry... but on another note, I wouldn't even want to know what y'all think of my many attempts to do a British accent here on Librivox, especially since I've never been to the UK... :help:
Your attempted British accent cannot possibly as bad as Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins ("Cor Blimey Mary Poppins") that was the WOAT 😺
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
benderca

Post by benderca »

alanmapstone wrote: July 6th, 2020, 5:53 am
benderca wrote: July 6th, 2020, 4:51 am Sorry... but on another note, I wouldn't even want to know what y'all think of my many attempts to do a British accent here on Librivox, especially since I've never been to the UK... :help:
Your attempted British accent cannot possibly as bad as Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins ("Cor Blimey Mary Poppins") that was the WOAT 😺
Ha! And definitely not as bad as Kevin Costner's attempted generic British accent in Robin Hood. Apparently he and his director had a difference of opinion -- his director begging him to drop the accent, which he did throughout most of the film (after the dialect coach was fired for doing such a poor job :lol: ). Ay me...
JgreenVO

Post by JgreenVO »

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
skypigeon

Post by skypigeon »

alanmapstone wrote: July 6th, 2020, 5:53 am
I've been told that, when an American attempts to sound "natural" in Britain and in turn is called "another Dick Van Dyke," that is NOT a compliment :D :D :D
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

American attempts at the Australian accent are generally informed by either the Artful Dodger or the Monty Python Bruces, both of which are rather wide of the mark.

Michael Caine’s version, the one you hear at the end of “Dirty Rotten Scoundrels“, is really quite good, though it wouldn’t fool an Australian. He himself had a Cockney accent originally, so he knows the Australian one is related but different. Caine’s is informed more by attitude, which is a substantial part of any attempt at an Aussie accent ... listen to Spenser Jermyn or Bill Power for a little while if you wonder what I mean by this. I’d love to see more people attempting an Australian accent in Australian LV works.

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

ToddHW wrote: July 6th, 2020, 5:12 am Having just moved to the South two years ago, I though I learned in my "How to Talk Southern" class that the plural form was "ye'all".

(The singular "y'all" was already in my vocabulary, but as a type of sailboat.)

Thanks, Todd
Oh, confusion. Alan - in Sweet Lavender, p13, Dr Delaney says "that ye'll put a stop to the lessons" when talking to just one person.

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ah, well, that contraction expands to "ye will," not "ye all". Context makes all the difference. :wink:
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

mightyfelix wrote: July 6th, 2020, 11:57 am Ah, well, that contraction expands to "ye will," not "ye all". Context makes all the difference. :wink:
Can’t help but think this is why all the early Jimmy Stewart cowboy movie dialogue seems to consist solely of “Yup” and “Nope”. :wink:
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Don't forget "Gittalongthere" and "Bang" - by gun

Thanks, Todd
benderca

Post by benderca »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: July 6th, 2020, 11:17 am American attempts at the Australian accent are generally informed by either the Artful Dodger or the Monty Python Bruces, both of which are rather wide of the mark.
So my first 'stralian lessons I learned as a student traveling the world consisted of the phrases, "g'day, mate" and "pack a sack lunch and a water bag, mate, it's gunna be a long haul," phrases I still use today when opportunity arises...
benderca

Post by benderca »

Mrs. Brewster, Act 4:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/aliasmisssherlock_mrsbrewster_4_128kb.mp3

I have to say, I was a little disappointed that Mrs. Brewster wasn't able to redeem herself in the end... :evil:
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
benderca

Post by benderca »

ToddHW wrote: July 8th, 2020, 6:36 am Thank you.

Todd
You're very welcome. And here's Mrs. Brewster, Act 2:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/aliasmisssherlock_mrsbrewster_2_128kb.mp3