LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Kalamareader wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 1:23 pm Todd,

This will be my first 'Dramatic' contribution, so I thought I would jump in with both feet!! :lol:

I would like to claim Officer Higgins, if I might.

Wayne
Whoops, looks like Todd missed this one. :hmm: No wonder he needed a woman to help him solve this murder mystery! :lol:

So I'll welcome you to this project in his stead. Dramatic readings are lots of fun! Some words of wisdom regarding this kind of project:
ToddHW wrote: July 1st, 2020, 6:51 am Here are a few special "rules" which differ slightly from the other LV projects:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file, which would be something like: "Boy, read by [your reader name]" using the words in the MW

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. It may not be necessary to read the whole play, especially here for a small role, but it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role. ;)

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting

4) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 3-5 seconds. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [sits down]), also leave 5 seconds of pause there, because our editor (me) later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his (my) master file and it's helpful if he (I) has enough space to fiddle with

That should be all, now have fun acting out!

Any questions, just post them here.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Actually, the "Thank You" posting at the top of this page was to Officer Higgins. However I forgot to enter his claim! I think I got lost while looking for the instructions that you posted here for me....

Thank you; it is a good thing you all are here to help me.

Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

It is a team effort. :wink:
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Aaron Flint act 1

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/aliasmisssherlock_aaronflint_1.mp3

This guy is a fun character to read :D
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Todd,

Here is my first attempt at Dramatic Reading at LV:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/aliasmisssherlock_officerhiggins_03_128kb.mp3

Time 0:24 :)

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Kalamareader wrote: July 4th, 2020, 10:24 am Todd,

Here is my first attempt at Dramatic Reading at LV:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/aliasmisssherlock_officerhiggins_03_128kb.mp3

Time 0:24 :)

Wayne
Aww, poor Higgins! Speaks up one time and immediately gets sat on by his superior! :lol: It's a shame you didn't have more to do here, but maybe you preferred your first role to be a small one. Still, you executed it very well! Immediately PL ok!
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

:9:
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

alanmapstone wrote: July 4th, 2020, 8:23 am Aaron Flint act 1

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/aliasmisssherlock_aaronflint_1.mp3

This guy is a fun character to read :D
Well done, Alan, I don't think I've heard you take on this kind of persona before. If it was fun to read, it was just as much fun to listen to. I only have one note, and it might be a bit nitpicky, I don't know. You can probably consider it OPTIONAL.

2:08 Text is: "If I'll wipe 'em, then'll you go 'n' take a walk?" I hear: "If I'll wipe 'em, then'll ya'll go 'n' take a walk?" And of course, as we all know, ya'll is plural. :wink: He only wants to walk with her, though, not her and some others, so I think this could be misleading.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

mightyfelix wrote: July 4th, 2020, 12:59 pm
I only have one note, and it might be a bit nitpicky, I don't know. You can probably consider it OPTIONAL.
2:08 Text is: "If I'll wipe 'em, then'll you go 'n' take a walk?" I hear: "If I'll wipe 'em, then'll ya'll go 'n' take a walk?" And of course, as we all know, ya'll is plural. :wink: He only wants to walk with her, though, not her and some others, so I think this could be misleading.
Hi Deborah
Thanks for the PL and the compliment.
My memory from my time working in the US is that some people use "y'all" as an all embracing address both singular or plural, but perhaps that is more true of Southerners or African-Americans than a northeasterner like Aaron.
I will rerecord the line, if I can patch it in properly, but I would prefer it to stay as it is if that is permitted.
Alan
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

:hmm: I've lived in Texas my whole life and haven't heard that usage. But, I said it was optional, and so if you don't want to redo it, then I'll mark it PL ok. :)
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

mightyfelix wrote: July 5th, 2020, 6:50 am :hmm: I've lived in Texas my whole life and haven't heard that usage. But, I said it was optional, and so if you don't want to redo it, then I'll mark it PL ok. :)
Thank you. I am sure you know more about American usage than I do 😺
Alan
benderca

Post by benderca »

alanmapstone wrote: July 5th, 2020, 8:28 pm
mightyfelix wrote: July 5th, 2020, 6:50 am :hmm: I've lived in Texas my whole life and haven't heard that usage. But, I said it was optional, and so if you don't want to redo it, then I'll mark it PL ok. :)
Thank you. I am sure you know more about American usage than I do 😺
This conversation is making me laugh. :lol:

I wouldn't let Alan use a non-scripted "ain't" for a highly educated turn-of-the-century Canadian. We are really cramping your style, Alan, when you are doing your fun American accents... :lol: Sorry... but on another note, I wouldn't even want to know what y'all think of my many attempts to do a British accent here on Librivox, especially since I've never been to the UK... :help:

Keep up the great work, y'all!
TJ