Not a help question but curious about multiple readers

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
DeBug

Post by DeBug »

I hope this is the right place for a general question but it's not exactly a help question.

I submitted my first read (short poem) and it's cool that there are dozens of readers submitting their recordings each with unique voicing and style. This raised a question for me. Does one of those reads get selected to bundle with a collection of poems? Do all the readings get posted?

I guess my question boils down to what is the purpose of multiple recordings of a single poem versus each reader recording a different poem to provide a larger variety of poems?

Sorry for all the questions but I couldn't seem to find it on the wiki.

DeBug
I’m here for the blanket fort.
CC is very welcome. Please do make suggestions or recommend exercises to help me improve. Thank you!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Here is fine. :)

The Weekly and Fortnightly Poetry are (generally) the only projects that have multiple readers recording the same thing. It's one small part of the giant LibriVox puzzle, and a rather nonconformist one at that. :)

Yes, all the recordings get cataloged - assuming they get a final PL OK. Sometimes people submit a recording, then disappear, while their recording needs fixes that can't be done without their re-recording something. Those we usually end up tossing.

We do have poetry projects where readers record different poems.

No recordings are used in more than one project. If, in a rare case, a reader decides to do, say, a solo project of a poetry book which contains a poem he's recorded in one of the weekly or fortnightly projects, he'd have to re-record the poem for the new project. (It seems like jumping through unnecessary hoops, but we don't ever want to set the precedent of reusing recordings.)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Oh, and to add why we do the multi-voice poetry:

I don't know the original reasoning, but it is a good place for new readers to start. It's an easy project to jump into: the poem is chosen; the text is right there in the first post (no hunting the text link to find what you're supposed to record). There's even no "claiming" or signing up for the section; you just record it, edit it, and submit it.

It lowers some more of the hurdles that some readers may have as a brand new member. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

It's also nice to have in one spot various readings of the same poem to see what people make of it. I seem always to be one whose recordings are nearly always on the short side, in comparison. (Of course I think everyone else is too slow! Haha!)
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

To add to the above - from the LV wiki Poetry FAQ
What is Weekly Poetry for?
We think this illustrates what's so great about LibriVox: there is no definitive audio version of any text, there is only interpretation. That's what we're about and that's what weekly poetry shows. Plus, it's fun, and poetry, like an apple a day, is good for you!
:)
Jo
DeBug

Post by DeBug »

Thanks, everyone for the answers.

I picked the weekly poetry project as my first because it was so easy as TriciaG described. Fewer steps and a faster turn around to see if I had the format correct.

Thanks knotyouraveragejo for the wiki link. I had missed that during my initial new member flailing about looking for stuff adventure.

KevinS, at 49 seconds your read was one of the fastest. The longest reported was 1:22. Now I'll want to go back and check out your pacing. I imagine poetry is a slower read than prose but honestly, I don't know much about it.

Kind regards,

DeBug
I’m here for the blanket fort.
CC is very welcome. Please do make suggestions or recommend exercises to help me improve. Thank you!