[complete] De Viris Illustribus (On Illustrious Men) by St. Jerome - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian »

De Viris Illustribus (On Illustrious Men) by Saint Jerome (347 - 420). Translated by Philip Schaff (1819 - 1893)

This project is in the catalog! Please listen and download from here : https://librivox.org/on-illustrious-men-de-viris-illustribus-by-saint-jerome/
De Viris Illustribus (On Illustrious Men) is a collection of 135 short biographies of important Church writers from the history of the Christian Church, in St. Jerome's time. It was composed in Latin in Bethlehem by St. Jerome in 392 AD. There is also a Greek version of the book, potentially by Sophronius (Chapter 134). The work was dedicated to Flavius Lucius Dexter, who served as high chamberlain to Emperor Theodosius I. Dexter was also the son of Saint Pacianus, who is included in the work. The book is one of the earliest examples of a collection of the lives of the saints, and provides valuable insight about the early writers and writings of the Church. (summarized from Wikipedia)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://books.google.com/books?id=0AQNAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA359
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Religion/Christianity - Biographies

Keywords that describe the book: Latin, Christian, saints, Jerome, early church, lives of saints

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of On Illustrious Men. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "On Illustrious Men, by Saint Jerome. Translated by Philip Schaff (1819 - 1893) [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of On Illustrious Men by Saint Jerome. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section [#]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of On Illustrious Men, by Saint Jerome."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename onillustriousmen_##_jerome_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. onillustriousmen_01_jerome_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Saint Jerome
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: De Viris Illustribus (On Illustrious Men)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kathrinee
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

I can set this up for you :) Back in a little bit with a MW

ETA:
Here we go. As usual, no need to add the ID3 tags on the recordings. I changed the intro disclaimer to Section, it looks like that will work best for this book.
Kathrine
ancientchristian

There is no need to put in the meta-data!? That's good to know. Apparently I've been wasting a lot typing... Anyway thank you for setting this up.
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

I'll dpl this if you'd like. I can get started over the weekend.
Pattymarie
ancientchristian

Great. Thanks for your help on this one.
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Welcome, Pattymarie, you have MW access :)
Kathrine
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

I've got these all downloaded and will get to them tomorrow. Please post the urls in the thread when uploading so I'll get a notification. :)
Pattymarie
ancientchristian

I just uploaded the last one. Good luck with this book. This was by far the hardest book I've done. I think if you hadn't volunteered to DPL I would have given up half way.
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

I can imagine this was difficult with all those ancient names. There were many that I had never heard nor read, so your guess as to the pronunciation of most of them is as good as mine. Your pronunciation of Severus differs from the one I've received from professors and readers of commercial audiobooks, but let's let it stand because it's closer to my recollection of the rules of classical Latin pronunciation than is theirs.

O.K, I can't get into this text (It might have to do with my location being outside North America) to check with it so I'm going by what I hear and what I think ought to be. :roll:

PL notes

Section 1
10:53 procreator/procurator ?

Section 2
15:47 Should the word "at" be in the clause "he did not shun at the ignominy of the cross"? Better English wouldn't have it there, but if it's in the text, we record it. Or--might the verb be misread?

17:26 wives/lives ?

19:14 Montus/Montanus ?

Section 3
10:50 sheet/seat ?

17:01 poverty/property ?

18:54 assidious/assiduous ?

Section 4
This one is super optional. Croesus is generally pronounced [Kree' sus] with the u as a schwa sound like the word a. Even if both the o and e were sounded, you've transposed them. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Croesus

8:43 pangreeac/panegyric ? If I’m right here, you have an example of the word pronounced correctly by yourself at 8:50. :)
Pattymarie
ancientchristian

Good catches as usual. I think procreator was my favorite. Changes made and uploaded.

I left "the ignominy of the cross" in there, but made all the other changes.
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Section 5 PL notes:

2:28 hexamer/hexameter ?

4:58 "wrote a church" ??? This sounds strange. I can't think of what the correct word might be if it is a mistake, though.

5:15 Totally optional: Thrass/Thrace rhyming with face.

18:19 hexamer/hexameter ? What I'm transcribing as "hexamer" here might actually be a word I don't know. I'd love to see what the word is in the text if you wouldn't mind typing it out for me. Hexamer is a word in biology, and hecksamer figures in numerology. No, I didn't know either of those factoids till I scratched around on the internet today in puzzlement.

18:57 disposed/deposed ?

These are what I have so far. I'm giving the file another listening because I think there was something else I failed to jot down with its location while listening on my portable mp3 player.
Pattymarie
ancientchristian

OK changes made.

"wrote a church"... obviously I was a little spaced out when I read that. "wrote a book" is correct.

I'm used to the word hexamer from my distant college days, although by now I've forgotten what it means.
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Nothing jumped out in another listening to section 5, so sections 1 through 5 are PL OK. I guess this is ready for the catalog. Thanks and congratulations for undertaking it, ancientchristian. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Pattymarie
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Awesome! I'll put in the catalog over the weekend :D Congratulations :clap:
Kathrine
ancientchristian

Great, glad to see this one finished. Thank you both.