COMPLETE[PLAY]Alias Miss Sherlock by Tubbs - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

ToddHW wrote: June 30th, 2020, 10:53 am Remember - The Mighty One has spoken! (I'm not sure when you'll get rid of that nickname....)

Thanks, Todd
Cape and Spandex no doubt enhance the admin experience, and the golden lasoo of truth should come in handy for the word perfect PLing.

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: June 30th, 2020, 1:10 pm
ToddHW wrote: June 30th, 2020, 10:53 am Remember - The Mighty One has spoken! (I'm not sure when you'll get rid of that nickname....)

Thanks, Todd
Cape and Spandex no doubt enhance the admin experience, and the golden lasoo of truth should come in handy for the word perfect PLing.

Cheers,
Chris
:shock:
skypigeon

Post by skypigeon »

mightyfelix wrote: June 30th, 2020, 10:48 am Very nice work with Leonard! He sounds so very cock-sure, but at the same time, good-natured and trustworthy. I look forward to hearing the rest. For now, I have just two small notes, but they're very important!

1:01 After "...claim your congratulations," you need to insert a space, so Todd can put the stage directions in here. Treat them as you would another character's line. :)
1:45 Same thing here, after "...willing Adam am I."
It is done as thou doest command, oh... ah, never mind ;)
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/aliasmisssherlock_leonardfillmore_1_128kb.mp3

Thanks for the kindness, more to come!
JgreenVO

Post by JgreenVO »

I would like to volunteer for Delphine, please.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Leonard, act 1 is PL ok! :thumbs:
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

JgreenVO wrote: June 30th, 2020, 8:15 pm I would like to volunteer for Delphine, please.
Thank you for joining and welcome to the project. I see you have the One Minute Test posted, and expect you will be OK'd shortly.

Do you want to use your forum name on the catalog pages (I do that), or do you want something else? Just let me know and I will set that up.

Here are a few special "rules" which differ slightly from the other LV projects:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file, which would be something like: "Boy, read by [your reader name]" using the words in the MW

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. It may not be necessary to read the whole play, especially here for a small role, but it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role. ;)

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting

4) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 3-5 seconds. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [sits down]), also leave 5 seconds of pause there, because our editor (me) later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his (my) master file and it's helpful if he (I) has enough space to fiddle with

That should be all, now have fun acting out!

Any questions, just post them here.

Thanks, Todd
JgreenVO

Post by JgreenVO »

Thanks so much, Todd! These are very helpful instructions!
Yes, please, my forum name for the catalog pages works. :)

JGreenVO
ToddHW wrote: July 1st, 2020, 6:51 am [quote=JgreenVO post_id=<a href="tel:1743491">1743491</a> time=<a href="tel:1593573323">1593573323</a> user_id=118306]
I would like to volunteer for Delphine, please.
Thank you for joining and welcome to the project. I see you have the One Minute Test posted, and expect you will be OK'd shortly.

Do you want to use your forum name on the catalog pages (I do that), or do you want something else? Just let me know and I will set that up.

Here are a few special "rules" which differ slightly from the other LV projects:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file, which would be something like: "Boy, read by [your reader name]" using the words in the MW

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. It may not be necessary to read the whole play, especially here for a small role, but it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role. ;)

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting

4) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 3-5 seconds. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [sits down]), also leave 5 seconds of pause there, because our editor (me) later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his (my) master file and it's helpful if he (I) has enough space to fiddle with

That should be all, now have fun acting out!

Any questions, just post them here.

Thanks, Todd
[/quote]
skypigeon

Post by skypigeon »

mightyfelix wrote: June 30th, 2020, 10:23 pm Leonard, act 1 is PL ok! :thumbs:
Awesome! Act 2 for you now: https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/aliasmisssherlock_leonardfillmore_2_128kb.mp3
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Great job, everything is present and accounted for! Watch your volume, though--the last one was a bit on the quiet side of the acceptable range, and this one is lower still. Todd will adjust volume, anyway, when the time comes, but it's good to get it as near as possible to begin with.

I do have one OPTIONAL suggestion, for the following line:

1:33 "Miss--er--Helen." This line sounds very much like it was cut or spliced together, not like it really "belongs" together, if you know what I mean. It might sound nicer to re-record it. I'd probably slow it down a bit, too, since it's a bit of an awkward moment between them, but that's just my personal take on it. You do what feels right for your character.
skypigeon

Post by skypigeon »

mightyfelix wrote: July 1st, 2020, 6:28 pm
Great job, everything is present and accounted for! Watch your volume, though--the last one was a bit on the quiet side of the acceptable range, and this one is lower still. Todd will adjust volume, anyway, when the time comes, but it's good to get it as near as possible to begin with.

I do have one OPTIONAL suggestion, for the following line:

1:33 "Miss--er--Helen." This line sounds very much like it was cut or spliced together, not like it really "belongs" together, if you know what I mean. It might sound nicer to re-record it. I'd probably slow it down a bit, too, since it's a bit of an awkward moment between them, but that's just my personal take on it. You do what feels right for your character.
Thank you for the direction--I appreciate it. Direction is always welcome. :)

I'll confess laziness in that edit. I'm using a Blue Snowball mic that sometimes picks up vibrations I don't even hear (I can't hear myself through my headset as I record, unfortunately), and on that line it picked up a whopper--just an ugly whomp-whomp that I couldn't cut out and replace with silence. So, short for time, I just put the two segments together. But you're right, it shouldn't have been done that way. It's re-recorded here. I've also increased the gain so it shouldn't be quite so low.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/aliasmisssherlock_leonardfillmore_2_128kb.mp3
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ah, yes. I understand that temptation. I've yielded to it myself, if I'm being honest. Funny how we tend to give ourselves more work in the end by taking short cuts. :roll: :lol:

PL ok now!
reecedawg

Post by reecedawg »

"After the dazzle of day is gone,
Only the dark, dark night shows to my eyes the stars;
After the clangor of organ majestic, or chorus, or perfect band,
Silent, athwart my soul, moves the symphony true."
Walt Whitman
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Todd,

This will be my first 'Dramatic' contribution, so I thought I would jump in with both feet!! :lol:

I would like to claim Officer Higgins, if I might.

Wayne
Last edited by Kalamareader on July 3rd, 2020, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Very well done! I almost felt sorry for him when he was asking Helen to marry him and clearly not getting a favorable response. But only almost; I had read the spoilers! :lol: And then as soon as he gets a clear no, he quickly shows his true colors! I think this will play very well!

Excellent job. PL ok right away!