[COMPLETE]Solo - The Book of Common Prayer, 1662: selections- ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

This project is now complete. All files can be downloaded from the catalog page here:https://librivox.org/the-book-of-common-prayer-1662-selections/[/color]

The Book of Common Prayer, 1662: selections by The Parliament of England ( - ).

The Book of Common Prayer (BCP) has for nearly 500 years provided the basis for Anglican and allied worship, not only in its English home but in many countries around the world and in many languages.

Following England's break from Rome in 1534, a need was felt for a single order of worship – in English rather than the traditional Latin – to be used in churches throughout the country. BCP first appeared in 1549 during the reign of Edward VI, was abolished under Mary (who restored Roman Catholicism) and was re-introduced with modifications by Elizabeth I in 1559. During the English Civil War (1642–1651) it was again abolished, returning with a 1662 revision under James I.

In its 1662 incarnation, BCP remained largely unchanged as the sole legal basis for Anglican worship in England right up until the 1970s, though in 1859 some of the more anti-Catholic elements such as the Gunpowder Treason remembrance service were dropped.

This reading is taken from John Baskerville's printing of 1762. The text is in the US public domain but in the United Kingdom some restrictions under the Royal prerogative still remain, and UK recordings require consent. The Book of Common Prayer, the rights in which are vested in the Crown, are reproduced by permission of the Crown's patentee, Cambridge University Press. I am grateful to CUP for permission to record selections from this reprinting, and for the recording to be uploaded to and published by Librivox. (Michael Maggs)

• Text source (only read from this text!): Downloadable pdf on this page: https://www.churchofengland.org/prayer-and-worship/worship-texts-and-resources/book-common-prayer
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
    [*] Project Code: OwjpTUVG

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (The Parliament of England) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliament_of_England.
    [*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Common_Prayer
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 9
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
    [*]Original publication date (if known): 1662
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================ [/size]

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Religion/Christianity - Other

Keywords that describe the book: BCP, 1662, baskerville, 1762, services, morning prayer, matins, evening prayer, evensong, prayers, thanksgivings, communion, baptism, christening, confirmation, matrimony, marriage, wedding, burial, funeral, articles faith, 39 articles, church england, james I

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Preface to The Book of Common Prayer, 1662, as approved by The Parliament of England. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org. Recording by Michael Maggs"
  • Say:
    "The Book of Common Prayer, 1662; selections from John Baskerville's printing of 1762. Preface."

For the second and all subsequent sections:
  • "[Chapter title] from The Book of Common Prayer, 1662. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain. Recording by Michael Maggs"
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter title]"
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of The Book of Common Prayer, 1662: selections, as approved by The Parliament of England. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename commonprayer1662selections_##_parliamentofengland_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g.commonprayer1662selections_01_parliamentofengland_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Annise
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Last edited by MichaelMaggs on February 2nd, 2021, 8:32 am, edited 10 times in total.
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Sorry, that posting should have been headed

~[SOLO] The Book of Common Prayer, 1662: selections
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

This is going to be a selection of highlights only - a very small proportion of the whole book. I'm planning to read only these sections:

Preface
Morning prayer
Evening prayer
Prayers and thanksgivings
Holy communion
Public baptism of infants
Confirmation
Solemnization of matrimony
Burial of the dead
Articles

Could an admin amend the title for me, please, to add ~[SOLO] ?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll pick this up for you if you can show me that you as a British Subject and me as an Australian are not disregarding copyright - how did you get permission and can you show me a copy or something?

Anne
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Hi Anne, many thanks for that – I appreciate it.

Although this book (and the King James Bible) is subject to an ancient rather odd copyright-like restriction in the UK, that doesn't apply to anywhere outside the UK where British royal prerogative is not relevant. Australia as an independent sovereign state is not subject to royal prerogative, and the US gave up following the British crown even earlier (in 1776!) In countries where British royal prerogative doesn't apply, BCP is old enough not only to be out of copyright, but to pre-date the whole concept of statutory copyright itself. It's public domain as it is not and never has been subject to copyright.

I've long had an interest in recording at least the best-known parts of this important historical text. As a retired patent attorney I'm pretty familiar with copyright and licensing issues and felt comfortable in checking out the legal situation and following up.

The UK Crown's rights holder is Cambridge University Press. They allow free use of the text up to 500 words, for limited purposes, but require permission to be sought where – as here – a more open-ended licence is needed (https://www.cambridge.org/bibles/about/rights-and-permissions). To protect myself, and to make quite sure that CUP as rights holder were happy with the recording being released into the international public domain by Librivox, I sought formal permission from them some months ago.

The whole process took more effort than I had expected, but tens of pages of online forms and several months later they were kind enough to grant me a formal written licence. This allows me to record up to 130 pages, and also for the recording to be published in electronic format for an indefinite term by Librivox. I don't want to post the licence itself, as it includes details of my home address, but if you'd like to see a copy in confidence I'd be happy to email it to you. If so, perhaps you could PM me your email address?
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

you can send the licence to the LV email address info@librivox.org which is staffed by Anne at the moment.

We need this for safekeeping just in case somebody much later or somewhere else disputes this licence.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We wouldn't keep your personal details but we do need to see it is OK .
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

OK, copy of licence sent by email.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Yeo- just got it , I' ll set it up now just before I go to bed.

Anne
All done - I'll check any details in the morning, I must have been able to read earlier than I thought - I used to sit beside grandmother in church reading all the people a man may not marry during the sermon :D
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Thank you.

Yes, I did that, too. Also spent hours trying to follow though the tables to work out the date of Easter day. Never did get it, as it seems to rely on the date of the full moon – not the real moon but a fictitious Paschal Moon :?
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

If there's no problem about a US citizen proofing this, I'd love to be its dpl.
Pattymarie
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

There's absolutely no problem, and I'd be very pleased to have you!

Be aware, though, that the preface is very much a product of the English religious turmoils at the time, and there are some pretty strong anti-Catholic sentiments in there :shock:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Welcome Pattymarie :D
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

First tracks now ready for PL. I've started with Morning Prayer, Evening Prayer, and Baptism.
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Profuse apologies for forgetting about these until I came across them while searching for something else on my mp3 player this morning.

Section 1 PL Notes:

20:34 This is purely optional, but you might like to correct your reading of Athanasius as Athenius. There's quite a range of choices: the Greek pronunciation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQqpNES7T6Q , an anglicized version that treats the "ti" as an unvoiced "sh", or this one that voices both the t and i separately https://www.howtopronounce.com/st-athanasius , and this one that I've always used https://www.thefreedictionary.com/Athanasius .

My own pronunciation was the last one I found online just now. You can believe I was getting worried that I might have mispronounced it all through the biography of the saint that I recorded for Librivox a few years ago. I never looked it up; just went with what I'd heard from profs and clergy. :roll:

Sections 2 and 5 are PL OK.
Pattymarie