COMPLETE The Idea of a University by John Henry Newman-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
AndrewNash

Post by AndrewNash »

The Idea of a University by John Henry Newman (1801 - 1890).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-idea-of-a-university-by-john-henry-newman/
John Henry Newman (1801-90) was an Anglican clergyman and Oxford academic whose study of early Christianity led him to convert to the Catholic Church in 1845. At that time Catholics were banned from attending the ancient British universities. The issue was particularly acute in Ireland with its majority Catholic population, so the British government decided to found some non-denominational colleges there which would admit all but which also were not allowed to have Catholic theology faculties in them. The pope of that time, Pius IX, urged the Irish bishops instead to found a Catholic university such as existed elsewhere in Europe. Newman, as the leading intellectual Catholic convert in Britain, was appointed its founding Rector. He gave a series of public lectures, arguing the case for a Catholic university and also that a university should include theology among its subjects. He also argued for academic education in its own right, against the 'utilitarians' who said that all education should just be practical and immediately 'useful'. Newman later added some other articles on educational topics, such as the relation between science and religion. The resulting book, 'The Idea of a University', became a classic of educational philosophy which is still referenced in debates about the nature and purpose of education today. ( Andrew Nash)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/24526
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Education

Keywords that describe the book: Christianity, education, Catholic Church

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Idea of a University. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Idea of a University, by John Henry Newman. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Idea of a University by John Henry Newman. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Idea of a University, by John Henry Newman. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename ideaofauniversity_##_newman_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. ideaofauniversity_01_newman_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: John Henry Newman
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: The Idea of a University

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: mightyfelix
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Andrew,

The Newman Reader site says "revised" in 2001. Since it's not clear what they revised, and the page indicates it's copyright, it's difficult to know what they are claiming a copyright on.

There are multiple editions of this work on Archive which were published in 1924 or before and so are clearly in the public domain. https://archive.org/search.php?query=title%3A%28idea%20university%29%20AND%20creator%3A%28newman%29

There is also an edition on Project Gutenberg here: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/24526

Any of these would be acceptable sources for a LV reading.

MaryAnn
AndrewNash

Post by AndrewNash »

OK, I'll use the Gutenberg text.
Andrew.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Hi, Andrew. It looks like you're still having some volume issues on your most recent test. You'll need to straighten that out, still. And we strongly recommend that you also record one or two sections in a group project before starting in on a solo read. That will give you more opportunity to get accustomed to the recording/editing process and the uploading/proof listening process while you have a bit of a safety net. As a soloist, you'll be mostly on your own.

When you're ready, I'll set this up for you, but at the very least, you'll need to finish up with your 1-minute test. (It looks like the first one you uploaded was in the correct range, and it was only after applying noise reduction that the volume was too low. If you do noise reduction correctly, it shouldn't change that drastically. Maybe revisit what happened there?)
AndrewNash

Post by AndrewNash »

I've fixed the volume level in my 1 minute test now - though I'm waiting for feedback just to confirm. So I'm ready to start recording. I'd rather get straight on with my solo project as I already have several years' experience making recordings (including editing etc) for an online radio station for which I have read a number of books. I'm confident that I have enough knowledge and experience to record 'The Idea of a University' for Librivox.
Andrew
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, great! I went to check your volume just now, but Adrian was ahead of me with the ok. So I'll go ahead and set this up for you.

EDIT: Oh yes, and I'm guessing you're still looking for a DPL, is that right?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

OK Andrew, your MW is ready for you. As soloist, it'll be your responsibility to update the MW as needed, adding in links when a section is ready, inputting the run times, and changing the status (Ready for PL, etc.) The first time you use it, you'll need to set up a new log in. (It's technically a different system than the forum login, but you can use the same info if you want.) Here is a guide to help you do that: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxWB83bbALTQYjlENGZ0SVJUWWs

Once you're in, this will explain everything you need to know about editing the MW: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ

Go ahead and fill in the section titles when you get a chance. And let me know if you have any trouble.
AndrewNash

Post by AndrewNash »

Thank you! But I don't know what a DPL is - sorry!

Is it best to upload each chapter as I record it, or wait until I've finished the whole book and then upload them all?

Andrew
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Whoops. Sorry. I should have explained. Dedicated proof listener. You don't already have anyone who has volunteered to listen to these, do you?

Upload each chapter as you record it. That way, your proof listener doesn't have so much work to do all at one time!
AndrewNash

Post by AndrewNash »

No, I'm afraid I don't have a DPV.

Andrew
AndrewNash

Post by AndrewNash »

I mean DPL!
Andrew
cimt

Post by cimt »

AndrewNash wrote: June 30th, 2020, 4:03 am I mean DPL!
Andrew
I'd love to DPL if it's still open.
Carisa

"Anything's better than lying and deceit." -Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina
AndrewNash

Post by AndrewNash »

Thank you, Carisa! I'd be most grateful.
Andrew
AndrewNash

Post by AndrewNash »

The text I'll be reading from will actually be this one: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/24526
Andrew
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

AndrewNash wrote: July 1st, 2020, 8:47 am The text I'll be reading from will actually be this one: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/24526
Andrew
Oh, thank you for the reminder. I put the Gutenberg text in the project page, but forgot to correct it in the first post. I've done that now. (FYI, you can edit your own post to correct things like that when necessary. Click the pencil icon at the top corner of the post to do.)

Please confirm that you have been able to get into the MW and fill in your section titles. Then I will move us over to Going Solo.