COMPLETE[PLAYS]One Act Play Collection 013 - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

mightyfelix wrote: June 17th, 2020, 4:11 pm Wow, first, I'll say that this was one fantastic play! And everyone played their roles to perfection! What a treat that was! :9:

Now, I do have a few more notes than I usually give you, Todd, especially for something this short. But since I wasn't involved in the production of this play up to now (and I don't want to search through the thread), I don't know what PL notes the readers may or may not have been given, or, if there were notes, what you may have already decided to let slide. So I made notes of anything I heard in that vein as well, and you can ignore them if you want. :)

0:36 "Ed, his son, read by Larry Wilson." Underlined portion missing.
0:45 "Phoebe Ward, a witch, read by Jennifer Pratt." Underlined portion missing.
1:07 "...at a time when the people of Northampton County still belived..." I hear "Northampton Country"
1:14 Missing: "Scene. The storehouse of a cross-roads store."
11:21 This one may be my ears hearing funny, but the word "boldness" here sounds like it's been cut off. ("bold-ss") I'm not sure if it was like that in the original, or if it might have been a rogue snip. :wink:
13:21 (Not a note, but a comment. The mumbling here with Jake talking over Phoebe is phenomenal! Well done! :thumbs: )
19:14 I see that you tried to clip the "he" from "Uncle Benny. He rises." But the snip is pretty noticeable and a bit disturbing. I think you would be better to leave the whole phrase as is. (It even fits with the Carolina brand of grammar, come to think of it.)
I made all the changes you suggest. Except for 1:14 - that line is already said at 0:58 (yeah, it is printed twice in the script).

Snips never work quite as well as having the line actually said correctly, do they? Glad you liked the mumbling under Jake's voice. I enjoyed this play quite a bit and it was fun to play with the audio.

Ready for Spot PL.

Thanks, Todd
ryfink

Post by ryfink »

Hi,
:help:
I've never participated in a dramatic work before, but I think I would enjoy it. I see people have claimed roles (they are taken in the magic window). How do we identify what play each role belongs to?

Thanks,
Ryan
"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese." - G.K. Chesterton
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

The parts are listed after a section that gives the name of each play. So, sections 2-4 are still open for the Moliere play in section 1; sections 17 are open for the Euripedes play in section 16; sections 25-27 are open for the Heffner play in section 24; section 35 is open for the Watts play in section 35; and sections 44-45 are open for the Lessing play in section 43. (Everything past that point in the MW is completed plays or reader parts that have been incorporated into plays.) It is fine to take a role in each play if you wish.

Just to confuse, unlike in book projects, sections and plays get moved around as parts and plays get completed, so don't really look by section number.

Since this is the first time you record drama, here are a few special rules that I wrote up (well, not me - I stole these from Kitty, who I am sure you will meet soon if you haven't yet) some time ago for new readers:

> no need to do an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file, which here should be something like: "Horton, a servant at Mrs. Emptage’s, read by Charlie Data" (or whatever your reader name is). Use the words that are in the MW for the role.

> browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. It is not necessary to read the whole play unless you wish to, but it would be helpful to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying in your dialogue, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as dramatic as you can in your character. That's the fun in our dramas

> if there are stage directions qualifying your voice, like [sniggers] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting

> and very important: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 5-10 seconds. Even when you have stage directions in the middle of your speech, like [sits down] or something, also leave 2 seconds of pause there, because Todd (that's me), our editor has to copy all your parts and paste them into his master file and it's helpful if he has enough space to fiddle with

If there are any questions still, don't hesitate to ask, if not, have fun and good luck with your first role!

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ToddHW wrote: June 20th, 2020, 8:04 am I made all the changes you suggest. Except for 1:14 - that line is already said at 0:58 (yeah, it is printed twice in the script).
Whoops, now how did I miss that? :lol: :roll: Alright then, everything else sounds great now! PL ok! Congratulations to all who participated in this one; you all did a phenomenal job!
Andrewjames

Post by Andrewjames »

hallo

may i take - 9. An Irish Engagement, by Walter Watts Tim Rafferty

please, then that one can be crossed off as finished.

Andrew
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Andrewjames

Post by Andrewjames »

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

Andrewjames wrote: June 24th, 2020, 11:31 am tim rafferty, irish engagement, 23m37

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/irishengagement_timrafferty_watts.mp3
Grand! Just grand! Cool as the boy as he fell through the ice!

Tim Rafferty for "Irish Engagement" is PL OK :thumbs:
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

Here is the completed version of "An Irish Engagement"

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/oneactplays013_09_various_128k.mp3 44:06

Would someone volunteer to PL?
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

May I help out here too? Musician / shepherd, perhaps. Whatever you suggest. Jim
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. Interested in the other one acts as well? Silenus in Cyclops? Sank, a bootlegger? Damon, a suitor?

Thanks, Todd
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Yes. Please sign me up. Jim
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: June 27th, 2020, 5:54 pm Yes. Please sign me up. Jim
super, thank you so much Jim :) I'll sign you up for all these. This is a big step forward towards completion.

Sonia