[Complete] The Meaning of Life: and other essays Alban Goodier - m8b1

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
KherubaLumen

Post by KherubaLumen »

The Meaning of Life: and other essays by Abp. Alban Goodier, S.J. (1869 - 1939).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-meaning-of-life-and-other-essays-by-alban-goodier-sj/

Even with the best intentions, we can often get caught up in the affairs of this world and forget about God. To stay on the path to Heaven we must make, from time to time, an examination of our life's heading. This collection of essays reminds us to live for God rather than for ourselves, encourages us to rise above the concerns and cares of our daily life, and places God's existence - rather than possessions or success - as the true meaning of our lives. . . . While he was the superior of the young Jesuits at Manresa House, Roehampton, Rev. Alban Goodier wrote these essays in 1913 for the newly-launched Stella Maris Magazine, a monthly Jesuit periodical by Campion House, Osterley. In 1914 the collection was published as Goodier's first book, bearing a Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur. Goodier later became the Archbishop of Bombay. (Judith Ignacio)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/themeaningoflife00gooduoft
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Meaning of Life: and other essays. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Meaning of Life: and other essays, by Abp. Alban Goodier, S.J.. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Meaning of Life: and other essays by Abp. Alban Goodier, S.J.. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Meaning of Life: and other essays, by Abp. Alban Goodier, S.J.. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename meaningoflife_##_goodier_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. meaningoflife_01_goodier_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: m8b1
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Kheruba Lumen
Ezekiel 10:4
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

All set up, Judith!

As a soloist, you are your own BC, and are in charge of the Magic Window. You will need to enter the chapter titles (I already did a few to show you how), put the file and run time in, and mark it "Ready for PL". Don't worry, it isn't difficult, and if you run into trouble I am here to help. :-)

Here are a couple links on how to access and use the Magic Window:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window#Accessing_the_System_.E2.80.93_First_Time_Login

I believe this second one repeats a lot of the first, but there may be helpful things in it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1T3d9vgn39-DS82yYQRX3cURTpP3mXxuFq5xMqfPi7b0/edit?pli=1
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

I'm going to move this over to Going Solo, so we don't clutter the launch pad. :-)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
KherubaLumen

Post by KherubaLumen »

m8b1 wrote: May 25th, 2020, 8:59 am
Maria:

Preface is ready for PL.
Length is 1:03
https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/meaningoflife_00_goodier,s.j_._128kb_.mp3

Chapter 1 is ready for PL.
Length is 10:52
https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/meaningoflife_01_goodier,s.j_._128kb_.mp3

I am finding that my reading-brain starts to fade at 5 minutes, and my voice and physical energy fades at 7 minutes. So quality deteriorates towards the end.

- Judith
Last edited by KherubaLumen on June 10th, 2020, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kheruba Lumen
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Hi Judith,

Nice job ~ it is PL OK!

Just a couple of little notes for the future. I changed the file naming scheme to take off the s.j. part of the name ~ I should have done that when I set it up, but missed it. So it should be meaningoflife_00_goodier_128kb ..
Don't worry about this file, I will fix it when I catalog.

Also, as a soloist you will need to put the file links in the Magic Window and mark it as "Ready for PL". I put this one in for you so that you can see where it goes! :-)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
KherubaLumen

Post by KherubaLumen »

m8b1 wrote: June 10th, 2020, 11:06 am Hi Judith,

Nice job ~ it is PL OK!

Just a couple of little notes for the future. I changed the file naming scheme to take off the s.j. part of the name ~ I should have done that when I set it up, but missed it. So it should be meaningoflife_00_goodier_128kb ..
Don't worry about this file, I will fix it when I catalog.

Also, as a soloist you will need to put the file links in the Magic Window and mark it as "Ready for PL". I put this one in for you so that you can see where it goes! :-)
Thank you!

I am sorry I was far too tired to figure out how to edit the Magic Window: I kept getting "no permission". It is working now. Thanks.
Kheruba Lumen
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

No worries! :-)

1 is PL OK!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Chapter 2 is PL OK!

Please make sure you post in the thread to let me know a new file is ready. Otherwise I might not see it for awhile! :-)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
KherubaLumen

Post by KherubaLumen »

m8b1 wrote: June 13th, 2020, 12:16 pm Chapter 2 is PL OK!

Please make sure you post in the thread to let me know a new file is ready. Otherwise I might not see it for awhile! :-)
Chapter 3 and 4 are uploaded and ready!

There is a single word accidently added in Chap 4. I tried to edit it, but it didn't sound clear after cutting, so I left it in. ("a son" vs "a son or daughter").
Kheruba Lumen
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

3 and 4 are PL OK!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
KherubaLumen

Post by KherubaLumen »

5 ready for PL

A little on the quiet side but still passed the Checker. :thumbs:
Kheruba Lumen
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Chapter 5 is PL OK! :-)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
KherubaLumen

Post by KherubaLumen »

Chapter 6, "Innocence", is ready for PL!
Kheruba Lumen
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Chapter 6 is PL OK!

I've never read any of the author's works before, though I was aware of them. You are doing a lovely job ~ I am enjoying the book and the reader. :-) Thank you for recording it!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
KherubaLumen

Post by KherubaLumen »

You are very welcome! You are the only one who has heard my work so far, haha! Thanks for the encouragement. AMDG.

Section 7 is ready for PL.
Kheruba Lumen