Don't you hate...

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

TriciaG wrote: May 31st, 2020, 6:05 am Aw, thanks! At least I know someone, someday will claim something in it. :lol:
I sure am glad you mentioned it here, because I try to check into the launch pad every day or two but sometimes I go a stretch and miss some new projects starting up. I always bookmark the group ones that look interesting and this one certainly does! I'm pretty piled up with chapters of other projects to work on (including the 3 I signed up for in the Digitial Economy report!) but when I cross off some of those and am looking for more, I'll be back to see if any pieces are available.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

...When you read a story you like, and you think it would be a good one to record, but when you look at the text again you notice it's got the word "rural"? :lol: That's gonna take some practice!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Scarbo wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 2:57 pm ...When you read a story you like, and you think it would be a good one to record, but when you look at the text again you notice it's got the word "rural"? :lol: That's gonna take some practice!
Yeeess, "rural" is definitely harder to say than it looks.... :shock: :lol:
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

JayKitty76 wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 3:02 pm
Scarbo wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 2:57 pm ...When you read a story you like, and you think it would be a good one to record, but when you look at the text again you notice it's got the word "rural"? :lol: That's gonna take some practice!
Yeeess, "rural" is definitely harder to say than it looks.... :shock: :lol:
... when, all in the same recording session, you have no trouble with a word like “rural” ... but cannot, for the very life of you, get “road” or “apple” or “tree” ... or any number of simple, straightforward words to come out correctly.
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Fun Fact: 40% of all statistics are wrong.
Ambsweet13

Post by Ambsweet13 »

When you go to your vacation home for the week and find a new pair of headphones to record with there, use those headphones to record for a project, then forget to bring the headphones back with you. No problem, I can just use my laptop mic. (I thought) But my laptop mic sounds totally different than those headphones, so I can't finish recording for that project until next week. Plus it got PL notes so now I feel bad. :oops:
A.M.B. :roll:

Between illnesses, work, and vacation, May wasn't my best Librivox month. But I'm back and ready to do some more recording, editing, and PLing!
linny

Post by linny »

Ambsweet13 wrote: June 13th, 2020, 11:12 am When you go to your vacation home for the week and find a new pair of headphones to record with there, use those headphones to record for a project, then forget to bring the headphones back with you. No problem, I can just use my laptop mic. (I thought) But my laptop mic sounds totally different than those headphones, so I can't finish recording for that project until next week. Plus it got PL notes so now I feel bad. :oops:
Don't feel badly. Your claims are good for 2 months (usually). Check the first post. Just make sure you leave time to enjoy the 'vacation' home. :D
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Alright, now I've got a doozie. The word "isthmus" appears twice on the first page of the chapter I'm trying to record. :? I think it will be clear to listeners that I've given up trying to say it correctly.
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

mightyfelix wrote: June 21st, 2020, 3:35 pm Alright, now I've got a doozie. The word "isthmus" appears twice on the first page of the chapter I'm trying to record. :? I think it will be clear to listeners that I've given up trying to say it correctly.
I have a rule-of-thumb for just such pronunciation situations.

I ask myself how John Wayne would’ve said it. And somehow, it just doesn’t seem so much of a problem anymore. :wink:

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
AnaNaumoska

Post by AnaNaumoska »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: June 24th, 2020, 4:59 am
mightyfelix wrote: June 21st, 2020, 3:35 pm Alright, now I've got a doozie. The word "isthmus" appears twice on the first page of the chapter I'm trying to record. :? I think it will be clear to listeners that I've given up trying to say it correctly.
I have a rule-of-thumb for just such pronunciation situations.

I ask myself how John Wayne would’ve said it. And somehow, it just doesn’t seem so much of a problem anymore. :wink:

Cheers,
Chris

That's a nice one!
I keep pronouncing it, until it sounds good. And than when the editing comes, I have a nice laugh about the 17 times I tried to pronounce a word as simple as "boat" 😂
Ana :mrgreen:

salus populi suprema lex
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Why do people in Texas like diesel trucks so much? And why do they sit right beneath my window with their engines idling?

Hey, you down there! Don't you know I'm right in the middle of a chapter???
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

You'd love "Binsey Poplars" by Gerard Manley Hopkins. Last two lines:

Rural scene, a rural scene,
Sweet especial rural scene.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

TriciaG wrote: May 30th, 2020, 4:32 pm ...when you get really excited about a new project that you know people will be all excited about too, and you launch it... and 3 days later, no one has claimed anything in it. Image
Could be worse... I have a project that's been open for 11 days now, and there are two replies to it.... Me and me. :lol: It doesn't have as much broad appeal, so I wasn't expecting a horde of readers to show up. But, still...
schrm

Post by schrm »

when you begin to analyze your work, and or critics..
and you realize, the german prose collection 54 has the shortest total runtime since at least 2013 (~two hours), and german prose collection 53 was the only edition which needed more than a year to get finished - since at least 2013.
2019 was possibly the first calendar-year with no collection published...

it's like some political jokes: not every record broken... is a good thing to do..
:?

but i enjoyed finding some superb recordings and some interesting books!
8-) :D

edit:
i corrected the year - in my mind, i made 30 years records of it, thinking it were 20 years, while i looked up the data until 2013 - 7 years.
i looked up volumes 40 to 54 = 2013 to 2020.
the first collection was published in 2008, had a shorter runtime (~1 hour), and... the following 5 years, librivox has published 40 german prose collections.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

RuthieG wrote: August 29th, 2015, 3:59 am And, conversely, after my post in another thread, I just hate it when people disappear from here without a word and I don't know why, or even if they are alive or dead.

Ruth
Maybe Librivoxers should put a passage in their will telling their relative/friend/lawyer to let us know by posting here after they pass on. :(
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

A few have done so, but probably only the most dedicated, and the ones who spend a lot of time here anyway. Others perhaps intend to and never get around to it. That is one downside of having a purely web-based organization. :?