'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Verngzr (Vern Seward) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
This is about your reading of "The Gravity Business" in Short Science Fiction Collection 054.

Wow! Vern it was a really GREAT reading, especially your handling of voices for the different characters in the story (old man, women, the Alien, etc.).

Thanks for volunteering to read and I sincerely hope you will do more readings (I especially like the Sci-Fi books).

-Knute in Julian, CA

All of Vern's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for TriciaG (TriciaG) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thank you for the many recordings of the books by Pansy (Isabella Alden). I have listened to the majority of them and want to thank you for the spiritual help and enjoyment they have given me. Some of the ones I have especially enjoyed are The Pocket Measure, Making Fate, Eighty-Seven, Wanted, Interrupted, and Miss Dee Dunmore Bryant.
Your recordings have helped pass time while cleaning, working on my church projects, road trips, cooking...thank you so much! As a missionary in a foreign country it is a blessing to have a good and thought provoking story to relieve stress or loneliness while working on such tasks. Thank you so much for making these available!

and...

Dear TriciaG,
Just a note to say, I sooo appreciated all the work you have put into reading books. My favorites have been the Pansy books, so many of which have been read by you. Thank you, thank you, thank you from the bottom of my heart! I have thouroughly enjoyed them! They have been a blessing to me. I often look again and again to see if there are any new Pansy books up.
Just curious, do you have any more suggestions for other like authors to Pansy? I've been enjoying Grace Livingston Hill and George MacDonald. Any others? Thanks!
Thanks again for all the hard work you have put into reading these books. Please know your work is appreciated, even if we listeners don't always respond.
Love,
Agape

and...
Hi TriciaG,

I have so much enjoyed your various recordings over the years, for Pansy, Grace Livingston Hill, LM Montgomery and others. Have listened to them way more than once!

You mentioned in the podcast that it was difficult to record, at this time during stay-at-home, in the room with the noisy traffic outside.

I just wanted to say that I wasn’t able to hear any background noise, so it isn’t a disturbance to the listener, though I can imagine it’s a distraction when you’re reading.

Anyway, thank you SO much again.
All of Tricia's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Expatriate (Expatriate) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I Lóve your voice.
you read só well.
I am two chapters to finish Don Quixote. (From maine)
All the best
Oriana
Ufpa
Naea
Brazil

and...
I absolutely love and enjoy his reading style and his voice. I actually search for the books he has read so I can download them.
Thank you for taking the time to read these books. I cook, sew, knit and crochet while listening to you, XPatriot in Bangor Maine. :)
Thanks again!
All of Expatriate's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for barbara2 (Barbara Baker) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Catalogue name: Barbara Baker
Forum name: barbara2
https://librivox.org/recollections-of-the-revolution-and-the-empire-by-henriette-lucie-dillon-marquise-de-la-tour-du-pin-gouvernet/

Dear Barbara Baker,

Thank you so much for your beautiful and enchanting reading of Recollections of the Revolution and the Empire.
I am not entirely sure how i found these recordings (Napoleon and Wikipedia must have been involved) but i was immediately smitten by the combination of Madame Gouvernet's and your voice.

During these exceptional social distancing times you have kept me company almost daily, often during breakfast.
Listening to you was a real treat.
Your voice, almost effortlessly, enriched my days with a myriad of new acquaintances -Henriette Lucie Dillon herself, her family, servants, friends and foes- and their experiences and struggles, including a lockdown in yellow-fever-stricken New York, a quarantine in the port of Cadiz, and a visit to the city of Antwerp, my home.

I have since tried a few other librivox recordings, including some in Dutch, but it pains me to admit none of them have already convinced me to stay with them for hours as you did. The combination of your pace, empathy, timbre and diction is, in my opinion, exceptional and exceptionally masterful.

I will start my job as a teacher again tomorrow, and since my students are obliged to wear a mask i decided to limit my own speaking somewhat by recording in advance multiple-choice questions. I would normally read them aloud for my students are adults with often limited reading skills for whom Dutch is a second language. They are preparing for a theory exam to obtain a driver license. I have tried to put some Barbara Baker in these recordings and beneficially so for them, i believe.

So i thank you -i can not express how much- for the librivox recordings (Piozzi is next, i think) but also for the exemplary inspiration.
It makes me happy to see you are assigned to some new libivox projects and i wish you well.

Thank you for bearing with my idiosyncratic and probably misspelled English,
With great admiration,

Jo
Antwerp, Belgium

All of Barbara's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for putzy a (Linda Andrus) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hello,
For several years, I have been listening to your recordings of books by Frances Hodgson Burnett.
Your voice is very clear and matter-of-fact, nuanced and comforting. The meaning of what you read comes alive without drama or fanfare, with simplicity and precision. I am so very grateful to you.
I would never have known this author the way I do now if not for you.
I had no idea that she wrote anything beyond the three of her children's books I had read as a child. I cannot find her books anywhere, and now that I know them, I cannot believe that they are not as well known as her popular children's books.
It is such an amazing gift that you have given me. I listen to them over and over. I listen to them when falling asleep, and whatever the worries of the day fade away as I am drawn into the story or soothed by your voice into sleep.
Robin, His Grace of Osmonde, Dawn of a Tomorrow , A Lady of Quality -- they are amazing books with such profound insight into characters and spirituality, unafraid to take on even topics such as murder, suicide, abuse, neglect, all with a positive transformative roadmap to healing and redemption.
You have connected me to this amazing woman, her incredible insights about people.
I wonder who you are, whether the books you read have impacted you as much as they have me, whether you chose to share these specifically or whether someone suggested them to you, or why you chose to share them. I wonder if you know what an amazing thing you have done by reading and recording these very interesting insightful books.
I am not sure what else to say to convey my thanks.
Thank You!
Sincerely,
Hilary

All of Linda's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Kirsten Wever (Kirsten Wever) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
ALL of Kisten Wever's Readings are especially APPRECIATED during an ‘Isolation' of +12 Weeks during thisCovid Virus situation
thanks
prayers
and
Blessings
for ALL who “Keep us Company’
Carol Yorkshire UK

All of Kirsten's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Verngzr

Post by Verngzr »

Hello Ice Queen,

I appreciate you taking the time to write and I’m very happy that you enjoyed my reading of The Gravity Business.

I had been away (I joined the Peace Corps) for the passed 3 years since doing that recording and I’ve only recently gathered the equipment needed to record again. So, yes, I intend to do more.

Again, I’m glad you enjoyed my reading and thanks for the encouragement. It was fun.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

icequeen wrote: June 23rd, 2020, 9:28 pm
Just curious, do you have any more suggestions for other like authors to Pansy? I've been enjoying Grace Livingston Hill and George MacDonald. Any others? Thanks!
Thanks, Agape, for the compliment! Regarding your question: I'm not an expert on other similar authors. One that comes to mind is E.P. Roe: https://librivox.org/author/9990

Basil King was an Anglican clergyman, and I remembered listening to The Wild Olive, but I can't remember enough about the story to know if they'd fit your tastes or not: https://librivox.org/author/10465

Hope this helps!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

TriciaG wrote: June 24th, 2020, 9:46 am
icequeen wrote: June 23rd, 2020, 9:28 pm
Thanks, Agape, for the compliment! Regarding your question: I'm not an expert on other similar authors. One that comes to mind is E.P. Roe: https://librivox.org/author/9990

Basil King was an Anglican clergyman, and I remembered listening to The Wild Olive, but I can't remember enough about the story to know if they'd fit your tastes or not: https://librivox.org/author/10465

Hope this helps!

I have this on for you Tricia!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Peter Why (Peter Yearsley) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hello,

Thank you very much for your recording of "The King in Yellow" by Robert W. Chambers. It's a great book and you have done a great job of reading it.

Sincerely,

Will

All of Peter's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for JoFriday21 (Amanda Friday) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
The dramatic reading of Emma (Version 7) by Jane Austen was amazing!! Amanda Friday had such a beautiful and clear voice; she did a flawless job portraying Emma. The narration performed by Bev J. Stevens and CaprishaPage was wonderful, too! I also particularly enjoyed the acting of Robert Hoffman, Jason Mills, Arielle Lipshaw, Max Korlinge, and Grace! Bravo!! I only wish the audiobook lasted longer. :)

All of Amanda's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for unreadpages (Peter Tucker) from our 'Thank a reader' feature regarding his recording of A Voyage to the Moon:
Dear Peter Tucker,

I am grateful for your colorful and vivid reading of Cyrano"s work. I thought I knew the Moon inside-out, and your interpretation still gave me further insight. Also, the translation that you choose (by Archibald Lowell) is the greatest, even if it is censored.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Rita (from Hungary)

All of Peter's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for simonevers (Simon Evers) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Mr. Evers,

Thank you for introducing me to William J. Locke and to "The Wonderful Year" and "The Beloved Vagabond." I have been fond of American turn of the century novelists-Frank Stockton, FH Smith, Alice Hegan Rice and others who gently observe ordinary, if eccentric persons, living at a time, before the First World War, when time moved slower. Although a lawyer, my passion the last four years has been writing a musical that takes place during this period (1893-1912). It was to have been produced this summer, but will be postponed for one or two years due to the Corona virus.

May I share with you the likely unexpected impact that your efforts have had on my life. I am a Francophile and have walked long distances in the Luberons, in northern Provence, while composing lyrics to my musical. Your reading has inspired me to take several actions. First, I am planning a writing retreat to Brantome, the central site of the story, once it is safe to do so. I am also working with a French songwriter to translate my play into French, with hopes that it will be produced in Avignon. I have also purchased several of Locke's books, including "the Wonderful Year" and am enjoying this author who is new to me. Finally, I am taking daily French lessons to improve my fluency.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You are my Fortinbras, "Le Marchand de Bonheur". If we ever meet, I will happily pay you five francs for your excellent, if inadvertent direction.

Jason

All of Simon's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

From Twitter:
Laurels all ‘round to the group of @librivox readers who recorded Aeschylus’ Oresteia! Hearing a group speaking the chorus greatly enhanced my understanding of the power of this theatrical structure. It was particularly effective in “The Furies.”
https://librivox.org/the-oresteia-by-aeschylus/
⁦@librivox⁩ ⁦@LibriVoxateers⁩ thanks again for putting this in audio format! Folks they have the entire ⁦@BookofConcord⁩ broken into parts. My second listen through. When my toddler gets older, I think I may record the Reader's Editions as audiobooks 🤔🧐
https://librivox.org/group/376 (the solos all read by Jonathan Lange)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for AndreaFiore (Andrea Fiore) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Andrea,

Thank you for recording so many books!

I began first to listen to your James Allen recordings (quite a number of years ago) and found your manner and voice most helpful in aiding my comprehension and staying on task rather than getting side tracked with some aspect of a reader's tone. I suppose that this might imply a particularly deep understanding of your material, but that's not crucial if the effect on the listener is the same.

Having looked your other recordings up, I am now familiar with some other New Thought authors' names I didn't know about before, and intend to listen in time to these as well, although, I feel as if these books are so densely packed with wisdom statements that it might be a while before I get to all of them.

You have somehow found your calling here and I'm most grateful. Maybe your intent was to really learn the authors deeply by reading them, or maybe you just enjoy reading from childhood. I would like to see some day if reading out loud can aid me in this way. But Kant??? Not so sure I would tackle him. :)

Blessings,

Bruce

All of Andrea's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!