New solo project - what do I do next?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
AndrewNash

Post by AndrewNash »

I've filled in the new solo project template for the book I want to record and have now got a page saying 'Copy from here to the bottom of the page'. I've done that - what do I do next?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Well, before you start a solo project, you should really (1) do a 1-minute test to be sure all your tech settings are correct, and (2) get your feet wet in a group project or two, to get used to recording, editing, Magic Windows, and the general way we do things at LV. 8-)

However, instructions for what to do to start a solo recording are here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13513
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
AndrewNash

Post by AndrewNash »

Thank you! I promise to do the 1-minute test. Where do I find it?
Also, I've submitted (I think!) my solo project form, but I don't know what my code is or how I use it. Sorry to be a bit dim about this.
Andrew
AndrewNash

Post by AndrewNash »

I should add that I've already done recording, using Audacity, with a small not-for-profit online radio station, so I'm OK with recording, editing etc.
Andrew
schrm

Post by schrm »

AndrewNash wrote: June 23rd, 2020, 10:16 am I should add that I've already done recording, using Audacity, with a small not-for-profit online radio station, so I'm OK with recording, editing etc.
Andrew
hi andrew,

welcome to librivox!
great, that you want to contribute!

may i jump in with answering? i hope, my english doesn't confuse you the more - in the beginnings, there is much to do and to read on librivox...
we have a wiki and most informations you need you will find there.
links to video-tutorials included!

the 1 minute test is helpful, so that you know about our uploading procedures, basical technical settings, etc - in short: upload the peter piper recording and post the link in the subforum "listeners wanted"
the most helpful wikipedia page is here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test
(since you have experience with editing audiofiles: please, give attention to the first post in "listeners wanted"! you do not have to upload a recording, which is not pl ok :-D we all are glad to see 1 minute tests, which are pl ok! :-) )

after you got the pl ok, you can post "the code" (the text you copied from the generator) in a new post in the launchpad forum.
a mc will answer in this new project-thread, eventually, and give you furtehr instructions (and maybe a link to our handbook for bc's and soloists).

if you need any help, instructions, have questions - i will bookmark this thread and answer here!

cheers,
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

AndrewNash wrote: June 23rd, 2020, 9:58 am I've filled in the new solo project template for the book I want to record and have now got a page saying 'Copy from here to the bottom of the page'. I've done that - what do I do next?
Hi Andrew, I'm not surprised that you find that message difficult to follow, as it's simply wrong. :( Maybe (I'm not sure) it's a hangover from an old way of doing things.

Anyway, as has been mentioned, what you need to do when you're ready to start a solo recording is to copy that entire text, go to the New Projects Launchpad section, click on New Topic, and paste the whole thing into the box. You'll need to give the topic a title - something like [SOLO] Book I want to read by Author. Once everything's tidied up and ready to go somone will then move it over to the Going Solo section for you.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Hi Andrew, I'm not surprised that you find that message difficult to follow, as it's simply wrong. :( Maybe (I'm not sure) it's a hangover from an old way of doing things.
I suppose it should say, instead, "Copy all the code from the box below" rather than "to the bottom of the page"?

(It's amazing how many people don't copy ALL the code, but only the part that's showing without scrolling. That will probably be modified someday, when we have another site revision/resdesign.)
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine