[COMPLETE] The Anzac Book by various - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

nighthawks wrote: June 20th, 2020, 12:27 pm Here is Section 37, The Everlasting Argument

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/anzacbook_37_various_128kb.mp3

01:07

:D
Lovely! Thanks!
regards
Jane Bennett
nighthawks

Post by nighthawks »

Here is Section 28 Furphy

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/anzacbooks_28_various.128kb_.mp3

07:06

I have corrected the mistakes made. At the bottom of the text there is a description of the word Furphy I asked if I should record this and was told to to put it after the Title but before the text. Therefore I have put in as an Editors Note to Explain what Furphy means as requested, and have also increased the end silence.
paulbrianstewart

Post by paulbrianstewart »

Gidday,
Thanks for the notes. I will update as required and get it back to you as soon as I can.
Thanks for your help,
Paul S

Jmbau13 wrote: June 21st, 2020, 9:53 pm
paulbrianstewart wrote: June 15th, 2020, 4:36 pm Gidday Tricia,
Here is Section 31, A Confession of Faith

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/anzacbook_31_various_128kb.mp3

File Size: 1.9mb
Length: 2:6.20

Thanks for letting me be part of the team, please let me know how I can improve.
Have a great week,
Paul Stewart
Very nicely read.
But could you pay more attention to the requirements on silences at beginning and end?
* Too long silence at beginning (max of 1 sec required)
* Final silence not the full 5 secs required
Lastly, Please remove the first verse you read (So though your name.... CEWB) because this is the final verse of section 30, and has nothing to do with yours, other than appearing under the page heading.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

nighthawks wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 7:17 am Here is Section 28 Furphy

I have corrected the mistakes made. At the bottom of the text there is a description of the word Furphy I asked if I should record this and was told to to put it after the Title but before the text. Therefore I have put in as an Editors Note to Explain what Furphy means as requested, and have also increased the end silence.
Ready for Spot PL. Thanks!
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi there!

Is there feedback for Section 14? I noticed it is marked for PL Notes but I do not see any notes posted...

Lynda
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Lmnei wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 12:34 pm Hi there!

Is there feedback for Section 14? I noticed it is marked for PL Notes but I do not see any notes posted...

Lynda
I'll mark the section as Ready for PL until we can see the notes, if any.
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

KevinS wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 12:57 pm

Lynda
I'll mark the section as Ready for PL until we can see the notes, if any.
Thanks!

L.
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Lynda
Apologies, I omitted to post them, so you would not have seen them.
There were just a few.

Silence at end is not the full 5 secs required.

There are some errors in reading text at:
~ 3.45 (not what is written)
~4.00 (remove extra some)
~ 5.53 said (not seen)

For your info, D------- and D---d stand for Damn and Damned which were considered rude/blasphemous at the time. In print, this works, but not when reading. I think it makes far more sense to read them as Damn and Damned than as D-uh which doesn't really make sense, and may confuse a listener.

Are you interested in any feedback on improving your reading?
regards
Jane Bennett
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

nighthawks wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 7:17 am Here is Section 28 Furphy

All good now, thank you.
regards
Jane Bennett
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Jmbau13 wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 8:28 pm

Lynda
There were just a few.

~ 5.53 said (not seen)

For your info, D------- and D---d stand for Damn and Damned which were considered rude/blasphemous at the time. In print, this works, but not when reading. I think it makes far more sense to read them as Damn and Damned than as D-uh which doesn't really make sense, and may confuse a listener.

Hi Jane -

Thanks for the feedback. Do you realize this is a standard PL? That means that if the word pronounced does not affect the story line then it can be left in. I appreciate what you pointed out to me, however the first two did not disrupt the story line. Nevertheless, I have changed them as the third item needed to be changed as those are totally different words.

As for the D comment - I did not know that and in previous books that I have read, I read it as I have been previously instructed, recorded and been PL'd.

Lastly, the silence at the end of the document IS 5 seconds. Not sure where you are starting to count but the recording ended at 7:33 and the silence went to 7:38. The 5 seconds is not an exact science - it needs to be around 5 seconds - not significantly less but it also can be more like 5.5 or 6 seconds too.

No thanks, I do not need help with my reading. I have a disability that sometimes affects my ability to read and reading is my therapy. Also, after reading 2500 sections over the last 2 years and PL'ing about half as many, I have a lot of experience under my belt.

It would be nice though when you PL to provide a bit more information to the reader - the feedback on the change needed at 4:00 and 5:53 were good, however at 3:45 instead of writing (not what is written) it would be easier for the reader (as you also gave an approximate time), to know what part of the text you are questioning or some kind of hint like that.

I look forward to the rest of your PL'ing of my work.

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Kevin -

Here is Section 14 ready for Spot PL -

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/anzacbook_14_various_128kb.mp3 - 7:37

Lynda
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Lmnei wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 10:05 pm
Jmbau13 wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 8:28 pm

Lynda
There were just a few.

~ 5.53 said (not seen)

Hi Jane -

Thanks for the feedback. Do you realize this is a standard PL? That means that if the word pronounced does not affect the story line then it can be left in. I appreciate what you pointed out to me, however the first two did not disrupt the story line. Nevertheless, I have changed them as the third item needed to be changed as those are totally different words.

As for the D comment - I did not know that and in previous books that I have read, I read it as I have been previously instructed, recorded and been PL'd.

Lastly, the silence at the end of the document IS 5 seconds. Not sure where you are starting to count but the recording ended at 7:33 and the silence went to 7:38. The 5 seconds is not an exact science - it needs to be around 5 seconds - not significantly less but it also can be more like 5.5 or 6 seconds too.

No thanks, I do not need help with my reading. I have a disability that sometimes affects my ability to read and reading is my therapy. Also, after reading 2500 sections over the last 2 years and PL'ing about half as many, I have a lot of experience under my belt.

It would be nice though when you PL to provide a bit more information to the reader - the feedback on the change needed at 4:00 and 5:53 were good, however at 3:45 instead of writing (not what is written) it would be easier for the reader (as you also gave an approximate time), to know what part of the text you are questioning or some kind of hint like that.

I look forward to the rest of your PL'ing of my work.

Lynda
I am aware of the differences. Different people will always PL slightly differently. Like readers really.
I always err on the side of the *listener*, regardless of what previous people have or have not done re. Damn and Damned. (Indeed, this is the first time in all my PL's that I've heard someone read it as Duh-er and to my mind, simply does not make sense. If you don't care about making sense, leave as is.
regards
Jane Bennett
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Stepping in to clarify a couple things:

1. I personally always swallow the word when it's written D---d or D---, as that is the way the text is written and the way the author intended it. While this isn't as serious as a reader omitting or changing a derogatory racial term in a text, it's still (IMHO) changing the text to agree with today's sensibilities rather than reading the text as written. So I don't counsel people to change the text when reading, even in a case like this.

2. LibriVox is reader-centric, so please, in standard PL, do try to err on the side of the reader. :) There's a fine line, I know, between wanting to help a reader improve and overstepping that fine line of "no unsolicited criticism." :? We're all doing our best, and we appreciate both the readers and PL'ers that are giving it their all yet work to strike that fine balance.

That said, some readers do appreciate thorough and detailed PL'ing and coaching as to how to make their recordings better; and when they want it, they should ask for it rather than just going with "standard" PL. (Some say, I hope we change the wording from "standard" to "basic" or "baseline" PL, as that is what it is - the bare basics.)

(Here's a run-down on the levels of proof-listening as well as a note about "fine lines": https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Guide_for_Proof-listeners#Levels_of_Proof-listening )
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

alanmapstone wrote: June 23rd, 2020, 3:50 am Section 44 - VC

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/anzacbook_44_various_128kb.mp3
7:09
Thank you, alan!