Omnilingual by H. Beam Piper - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

TrishEM wrote: June 17th, 2020, 11:41 pm I've uploaded part 3 -- which is now part 3 of 5, not part 3 of 4 -- and added it to the Magic Window.
But here's the URL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/omnilingual_03_piper_128kb.mp3

The length is 15:08.
And you added the new section yourself, great.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
TrishEM

Post by TrishEM »

I've uploaded Part 4 of 5 and added it to the Magic Window.
Link is also here:
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/omnilingual_03_piper_128kb.mp3

Length is 11:32.

Incidentally, I've had a dispiriting reminder of why I should always always always copy and rename a sound file when I start to edit it, instead of editing the original. I meant to add a tag of "End of Part 5, my name, End of Omnilingual, etc." at the end of the final section, but apparently I overwrote the whole file with that tag. So tomorrow's project for me is to re-narrate AND edit the final section. Oh well, it's just six pages. I'll think about how good I'll feel when it's all done and posted and goes live.
"Nobody but a lay-out man knows what a lay-out man's feelings is [sic]."
-- Mr. Tallboy in "Murder Must Advertise" by Dorothy Sayers
TrishEM

Post by TrishEM »

Part 4 seemed to upload OK last night, but when I checked again this morning, I got an error message, SyntaxError: Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0
I tried uploading it again and got the same message. I closed the uploader screen, opened it again, re-uploaded the file, and it seemed to go through.
Here's the address again, although it seems the same. If I need to repost it to the magic window, I can do that.
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/omnilingual_04_piper_128kb.mp3

I've also uploaded the fifth part:
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/omnilingual_05_piper_128kb.mp3
Length is 176:42. Hopefully this is the final part, if all goes well with the proof-listening
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

It is kinda scary for me that none of your files have been checked out yet. But hopefully they are all OK and we can catalog it soon. Our DPL is very active and will be along shortly. Oh, and the length of 5 seems a bit long at 176 minutes, is t his right?
TrishEM

Post by TrishEM »

Whoops! Typo.
Length of part 5 is 17:42.
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Hi, Trish:

Lovely reading! You sound like a professional. I really enjoyed listening to Section 1. There are some issues with the technical specifications, however, as well as a repeat. Have you heard of Checker? You can check the technical specifications of your files against LibriVox standards using the program - https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker. We require the technical specifications outlined in the LibriVox wiki here. Once you have adjusted the file's technical specifications to match my notes below, you will want to run the file through Checker to ensure it passes.

Section 1 PL notes:

-The bit rate of the file is 90 kbps variable and should be 128 kbps constant. To fix the bit rate, watch this video or follow these instructions:
1. Go to File / Export Audio
2. Open Options in the lower right corner
3. Select the following settings: Bit Rate Mode: Constant / Quality 128 kbps
4. Press OK
N.B. There is no need to adjust the file format each time you save a recording as these settings will persist.

-The volume of the file is too low at 85.3 dB. The acceptable range is 87-91 dB, and we aim for 89 dB. You can adjust the input volume before recording to avoid using the amplify feature in Audacity during post-processing. The input volume is the level at which your recording device is receiving your voice while you read. You want to avoid having it set too low or too high. For more information on how to set the input volume, visit this page in the LibriVox wiki.

Adjusting the input volume will help in the future, but the sections you have already recorded will need to be either amplified or de-amplified depending on the file's volume. Check the volume via Checker. In Audacity, select the whole recording. Click Effect > Amplify. In the Amplification box, enter the number of dB you want to amplify or de-amplify by (in this case, +3.7). Verify that the file is around 89 dB using Checker.

-The recording should be in mono sound, not stereo sound. When you record in stereo, the recording program will create 2 tracks, one for each ear of the earphones. Recording in mono means that you will only have one track, and both earphones will play the same track. This reduces the size of the audio file. Note that Audacity records in stereo by default, which is likely why your file is recorded that way. To make Audacity record automatically in mono, you have to set your preferences by following these instructions: Go to Edit > Preferences, and choose the Audio I/O tab. On the top right corner, in the Channels drop-down menu, select 1 (Mono), and click OK.

Now, again, changing your preferences will fix the problem for next time, but the files that have already been recorded will need to be manually changed to mono. Follow these directions: Select both tracks. Click Tracks > Mix > Mix Stereo Down to Mono.

-Finally, I heard a repeat at 10:49 that will need to be edited out ("Minturnae, for instance . . . Minturnae, for instance?").

Please don't be discouraged -- these are VERY easy technical issues to fix and we'll have this project cataloged in no time. Please edit the file and re-upload. Change the status of the file to "Ready for Spot PL" in the MW and I will check to make sure the errors have been resolved. Thanks so much, Trish.
TrishEM

Post by TrishEM »

Thank you, cadastra. I used to have mono and 128kb as defaults, but I remember now that I've upgraded Audacity since the last time I did anything for Librivox, so it must have dropped those defaults. How aggravating! I'll go back and fix those things, and fix the volume, and cut that repeated bit, and post when that's done.

I'm glad you like my delivery, anyway, aside from the technical problems!
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Section 2 PL notes:
26:32 Outro missing ("End of Part 2")

Tech specs: Incorrect bit rate (should be 128 kbps constant); volume OK, although on the higher end at 91.7 dB

Section 3 PL notes:
05:39 Repeat ("They haunted her dreams, now, instead of their enigmatic writing . . . They haunted her dreams, now, instead of their enigmatic writing")
08:38 Missing word ("when the power was on")
15:02 Wrong outro (should be "end of Part 3," not "end of Section 3" for consistency with other files in project)

Tech specs: Incorrect bit rate (should be 128 kbps constant); volume too loud at 92.7 dB (87-91 dB acceptable)

Section 4 PL notes:
Recording itself sounds good!

Tech specs: Incorrect bit rate (should be 128 kbps constant); volume OK at 91.2 dB
TrishEM

Post by TrishEM »

Thanks, cadastra. Do you know, should I just upload the corrected files, and they'll overwrite the old ones? Or do I need to delete them from the Magic Window, upload, and then add back to the Magic Window?

Also, if you just haven't gotten to Part 5 yet, that's fine, but I just wanted to remind you that the project is now 5 parts instead of the original 4 parts.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

TrishEM wrote: June 20th, 2020, 10:59 am Thanks, cadastra. Do you know, should I just upload the corrected files, and they'll overwrite the old ones? Or do I need to delete them from the Magic Window, upload, and then add back to the Magic Window?

Also, if you just haven't gotten to Part 5 yet, that's fine, but I just wanted to remind you that the project is now 5 parts instead of the original 4 parts.
Just upload corrected files, if they have the exact same file name they will overwrite what was there previously. No need to put anything into the magic window either since this will happen automatically. Just put a note in the project thread saying "section 1 fixed and uploaded" and change the status to "ready for spot check".
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Thanks for helping out, Phil. I did not forget about Section 5 and has now been proof-listened. Only a few issues: The volume is too loud at 92.5 dB, and the bit rate should be 128 kbps constant. Nice job on this short story! I really enjoyed your reading!
TrishEM

Post by TrishEM »

I have uploaded a new version of Part 1, which Checker says Passed, with a volume of 89.8.

I was probably crazy to manually adjust all the volume spikes down before amplifying the whole thing, to avoid clipping. The others should go much faster, since if anything they're too loud. I'll get to work on those now!
TrishEM

Post by TrishEM »

I've uploaded the other 4 parts! Hopefully they're all good this time!

Part 2 has "End of Part 2" added at the end, 128kb constant, and Checker says the volume is down to 91.0.

Part 3 has the duplication removed, the sentence with the missing "was" re-recorded and replaced, and "End of Part 3" instead of "End of Section 4," , with the bit rate at 128, and Checker says the volume is now 91.0.

Part 4 has bit rate fixed at 128kb constant.

Part 5 has bit rate fixed at 128kb constant, and Checker says the volume is down to 90.8
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Yes, I was anticipating that you might have the problem with clipping! I'm glad you were able to figure it out, but I'm sorry for the headache. Hopefully with adjustment of the input volume, future files won't need so much post-processing.

Sections 1-5 are now PL OK. Congratulations! We are ready for cataloging.
TrishEM

Post by TrishEM »

Hurray! Thank you, cadastra! Do I need to do anything else, or will Mr. Chenevert or somebody else do the cataloging?