[COMPLETE] Songs of Love and Life by Zora Cross - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
cavaet

Post by cavaet »

Songs of Love and Life by Zora Cross (1890 - 1964).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/songs-of-love-and-life-by-zora-cross/
This book of poetry, privately printed, was an over night sensation in Australia. It garnered praise everywhere, so much so, that a publishing house bought up the rights and produced an expanded version a month later. It's erotic content, from a twenty seven year old woman, catapulted her to the forefront of Australian poets. This is the expanded version. ( cavaet)
Volunteers outside the USA: Zora Cross died in 1964. Her work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, and Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1954).
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=pst.000006227395&view=1up&seq=15
      http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/176653
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:

START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of Songs of Love and Life, by Zora Cross. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain."
      • If you wish, say: "Read by [your name]"
      • Then read the poem title and poem.

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Section [number]."
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Songs of Love and Life, by Zora Cross. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      songsofloveandlife_###_cross_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ### is the section number (e.g. songsofloveandlife_001_cross_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
cavaet

Post by cavaet »

Well that will teach me not to preview how it would look! That first Zora Cross in the title line is irrelevant. My reading partner and I have already decided which sections we are reading. Plus, two sonnets are missing from the stated source material, so for that we'll be using a downloadable copy from The State Library of Victoria, which was the original, privately published edition. There are also two poems that are not included in the expanded edition. I can only assume that they were dropped by the author, or publisher, for reasons of their own. I am currently reading Ms. Cross' autobiography, maybe that will tell me why. Regardless we plan to place them in a short poetry collection here.

Think thats it. Hope to get this off the ground shortly
cavaet

Post by cavaet »

Any takers?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, this is set up.

The parts in the first post about claiming, etc. don't apply here, since you already have your readers. :)

You're in charge of updating the Magic Window.

Detailed Instructions for accessing the Magic Window can be found in the document linked here:
Instructions for BCs and DPLs

Video showing how to use the Magic Window (read the above document first - it has the information on how to log in for the first time, which this does not have):
Magic Windows / Section Compiler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOP4tcr1kl8

When you upload a chapter, put the file duration (mm:ss) in the Notes field and the uploaded URL into the Listen URL field, and mark it from Assigned to Ready for PL.

For the record, I cannot access the text. HathiTrust has locked us non-Americans out of it, even though Canada is a Life+50 country, so it's PD for me. :roll: How long are the poems? If they're on the short side, you can use the poetry LV intro/outro, which is shorter.

What's the link to the extra poems?
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
cavaet

Post by cavaet »

First of all, thanks for picking this up.

http://digital.slv.vic.gov.au/view/action/singleViewer.do?dvs=1589314920262~897&locale=en_US&metadata_object_ratio=10&show_metadata=true&VIEWER_URL=/view/action/singleViewer.do?&preferred_usage_type=VIEW_MAIN&DELIVERY_RULE_ID =10&frameId=1&usePid1=true&usePid2=true

the above link will allow you to access the original printing from Australia. It contains all the sonnets plus some of the longer poems. It is short two sonnets, (missing page), and about ten of the longer poems, plus they dropped two, which we won't use. I will screen shot you those ones from Hathi as necessary. If for some reason the link does not work, I included it in my original test submission.

The sonnets are about forty to fifty seconds in length, 67 of them, so plan to use short LV in and outro on them. All the others get the usual one.

Will update MW tonight after lectures.

Again. Thanks. Cavaet(MDL)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'm having problems accessing that link.

It appears that on the right top corner of the web page is a button, "Persistent Link". Would you click that, then copy/paste that link for me? :)

I'll add the poetry intro/outro to the first post for you.
cavaet

Post by cavaet »

the link I just pu up seems to be working fine, however, here is the persistent link, just in case

https://viewer.slv.vic.gov.au/?entity=IE1688258&mode=browse
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Got 'em. Thanks!
sandraberrospi

Post by sandraberrospi »

Hi Im new to liv can I claim sonnet 2 and 3
cavaet

Post by cavaet »

sandraberrospi. Sorry, but already fully subscribed.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moving this to Readers Found!
cavaet

Post by cavaet »

Tricia,
First upload should occur this weekend. Do you want me to post pictures for the text you cant see from Hathi here, as we upload, or what?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I don't need to see the Hathi text. The HT catalog page for the text is all I needed, to verify its PD-ness. :)

Hopefully you'll get a DPL that can see it, in case they need to refer to the text for anything. If not, you can work out with them how to access the text.