[COMPLETE] The Early Cave-Men - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

The Early Cave-Men by Katharine Elizabeth Dopp (1863 - 1944).

This project can be found in our catalog at https://librivox.org/the-early-cave-men-by-katharine-elizabeth-dopp/ :clap:
The People Who Wanted To Live in Caves. This little book takes us back to the time when our ancestors lived, or wanted to live in caves. Unfortunately the caves off that time were mostly used by large animals like the Sabre Toothed Tiger and bears who could easily kill and eat our ancestors. Thus the subtitle of this book is The Age of Combat. This book, aimed at children, tries to show how certain things things could have taken place to enable our species to eek out a living alongside the much stronger beasts such as why we wanted to live in caves, the hazards and rewareds of living in caves; the taming of fire, and how early tools were invented. This book follows on The Tree Dwellers and is itself followed by The Later Cave-Men. . ( Phil Chenevert)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/50057
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================

============================================

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Animals & Nature

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of The Early Cave-Men . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Early Cave-Men, by Katharine Elizabeth Dopp. [Chapter number then title] for example the first chapter would be [Chapter 1 Why People Wanted to Live in Caves]" At the end of the chapter read "Thnigs To Do" followed by Chapter 2, Things to Think about then the chapter number and title Chapter 2, How the Fire Clan Got a Cave. and like this for Chapter 3. [NOTE: for all sections after the first one, read the chapter title, then "Things To Think About" then the text.

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Section number ] Note that this is the section number, not chapter numbers"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Early Cave-Men , by Katharine Elizabeth Dopp. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      earlycavemen_##_dopp_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. earlycavemen_01_dopp_128kb.mp3)

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: philchenevert
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
vvocelli

Post by vvocelli »

Hi Phil! Are you taking claims for this yet? If so, Can I claim sections 1-3? Thanks!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

vvocelli wrote: June 16th, 2020, 12:47 pm Hi Phil! Are you taking claims for this yet? If so, Can I claim sections 1-3? Thanks!
Yes I am and you may have those three sections. Please note that each section has three of the little chapters in it. And ask if the instructions areen't clear. Have fun !
vvocelli

Post by vvocelli »

philchenevert wrote: June 16th, 2020, 1:01 pm
vvocelli wrote: June 16th, 2020, 12:47 pm Hi Phil! Are you taking claims for this yet? If so, Can I claim sections 1-3? Thanks!
Yes I am and you may have those three sections. Please note that each section has three of the little chapters in it. And ask if the instructions areen't clear. Have fun !
Thanks! The only question I have is for the intro to each section you have "Chapter [number] of The Early Cave-Men" - should it be "Section [number]..." since we go on to explain the chapter numbers after the librivox disclaimer?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

vvocelli wrote: June 16th, 2020, 1:54 pm
philchenevert wrote: June 16th, 2020, 1:01 pm
Thanks! The only question I have is for the intro to each section you have "Chapter [number] of The Early Cave-Men" - should it be "Section [number]..." since we go on to explain the chapter numbers after the librivox disclaimer?
No, you say the section number at the end, but not the begenning. The actual wording is in the first post. Say, " The Early Cave-Men, by Katharine Elizabeth Dopp. [Chapter number then title] for example the first chapter would be [Chapter 1 Why People Wanted to Live in Caves]" At the end of the chapter read "Thnigs To Do" followed by Chapter 2, Things to Think about then the chapter title How the Fire Clan Got a Cave. and like this for Chapter 3.". I know it's kinda confusing but hopefully it will work.
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

I would love to DPL.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

cadastra wrote: June 17th, 2020, 4:07 pm I would love to DPL.
That would be great! Thanks. :D Note that I'm including three short chapters in each section so the wording of the intro and exits may be strange. Lte me know if they make sense to you, OK?
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

philchenevert wrote: June 17th, 2020, 4:39 pm
That would be great! Thanks. :D Note that I'm including three short chapters in each section so the wording of the intro and exits may be strange. Lte me know if they make sense to you, OK?
So you are having the readers say the chapter number at the beginning of the section and the section number at the end of the section? Hmm... that is a little confusing, but the format of the book is such that it is difficult to organize into sections. What if the section number was stated at the beginning and the end of the section? For example, "Section 1 of The Early Cave-Men. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org. The Early Cave-Men, by Katharine Elizabeth Dopp. Section 1." Then, the reader could say the chapter number and name, for example, "Chapter 1 - Why People Wanted to Live in Caves," followed by the chapter itself, then "Chapter 2 - How the Fire Clan Got a Cave," etc. At the end of the recording, the reader could simply say, "End of Section 1." Just my 2 cents.
vvocelli

Post by vvocelli »

cadastra wrote: June 17th, 2020, 4:59 pm
So you are having the readers say the chapter number at the beginning of the section and the section number at the end of the section? Hmm... that is a little confusing, but the format of the book is such that it is difficult to organize into sections. What if the section number was stated at the beginning and the end of the section? For example, "Section 1 of The Early Cave-Men. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org. The Early Cave-Men, by Katharine Elizabeth Dopp. Section 1." Then, the reader could say the chapter number and name, for example, "Chapter 1 - Why People Wanted to Live in Caves," followed by the chapter itself, then "Chapter 2 - How the Fire Clan Got a Cave," etc. At the end of the recording, the reader could simply say, "End of Section 1." Just my 2 cents.
Cadastra, what you said just above is what I was getting at earlier as well. I just recorded section 1, so I can redo the first sentence and add in the Ch 1 Part later, but saying chapter 1 initially is misleading where section may make more sense. Just my opinion. Let me know!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

cadastra wrote: June 17th, 2020, 4:59 pm
Yes, the section numbre should be said at the beginning and at the end. I probably am responsible for the confusion there. What you suggest is exactly what should be done.
vvocelli

Post by vvocelli »

Ready for PL:

Sec 1 - 7:25 https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/earlycavemen_01_dopp_128kb.mp3

Let me know if I did the intro and chapter sections ok. Thanks!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

vvocelli wrote: June 19th, 2020, 4:48 am Ready for PL:

Sec 1 - 7:25 https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/earlycavemen_01_dopp_128kb.mp3

Let me know if I did the intro and chapter sections ok. Thanks!
I will put this into the magic window for proof listening. I feel confident t hat you did them fine!! :thumbs:
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

With everything now set and an excellent DPL, I am moving this to Readers Wanted. :thumbs:
DickBD

Post by DickBD »

Hi

I would like to claim Sections 4, 5, and 6

Thanks

Dick Bourgeois-Doyle
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

DickBD wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 5:34 am Hi

I would like to claim Sections 4, 5, and 6

Thanks

Dick Bourgeois-Doyle
Excellent. Those three sections (9 chapters) are all yours. I had to make the intros a bit convoluted but other than that they are easy to read. :D