[Complete] The Crock of Gold by James Stephens - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

The Crock of Gold by James Stephens (1882 - 1950).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-crock-of-gold-by-james-stephens/

This is a comic novel written by Irish author James Stephens, a quick-witted storyteller whose pantheistic philosophy is revealed in his adult Irish fairy tales. His first novel, The Charwoman's Daughter (1911), humorously examines the life and fantasies of a poor Dublin mother and daughter. His second, The Crock of Gold (1913), again showcases his unique writing style, quirky thoughts, grasp of irony and cleverness of phrase. No conformity here, lots of head-scratching twists and turns that reveal odd bits of wisdom too! The main characters are an extremely pedantic Philosopher, his revengeful wife, their sweet innocent children lured down leprechaun holes, a teenage girl seduced by Pan (the god of lust and carefree living) then saved by Angus Og (the Irish god of youth, love and beauty), culminating in a giant parade of Irish gods. Stephen's serious philosophy is on display here and there, and we learn many useful tips for dealing with fairies, goblins and Gods, especially that no good comes of stealing a leprechaun's crock of gold! ~Summary by Michele Fry

Thank you THynes, for helping me with pronunciation of the Irish words.
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1605
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): special, please read along with the text and note any major discrepancies (missing text, missed meaning, errors that substantially change the author's meaning).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (James Stephens) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Stephens_(author)
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 20
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
  • Original publication date (if known):
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================

Genres for the project: Culture & Heritage Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: satire, irish fairy tale, irish legend, comic fiction, Pan, Angus Og, philosophy

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter # of The Crock of Gold, by James Stephens. This Librivox recording is in the Public Domain, read by Michele Fry, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, on date (optional) . . . Book x, Title, Chapter x"
(1st post only will use the long disclaimer) This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
[/list]

END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter #]", and end of book #/Title if it ends it.
    [/i]
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of The Crock of Gold, by James Stephens. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename crockofgold_##_stephens_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. crockofgold_01_stephens_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: James Stephens
Title: Chapter # (as shown in MW)
Album: The Crock of Gold

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below[/list]

BC/Soloist: Michele Fry (msfry)
MC: Lynne T (lynnet)
DPL:
Cover: Michele Fry
Last edited by msfry on March 28th, 2021, 11:10 am, edited 15 times in total.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

I read the summary on Wikipedia. I can dpl this and write a summary at the end.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Soloist has not been on Librivox since February 19 and is not responding to messages.
Request by msfry to be informed if this project is abandoned.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

msfry taking over as soloist.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Hi, Lynne. The MW is filled in and I will add the summary shortly. You can delete 19 and 20, whenever. Must we keep the early posts, or can they be deleted and I BC/Solo from scratch? Not sure it matters.

I will advertise for a DPL shortly, after I've added a summary.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I can delete the instructions for logging in. I deleted Stav as DPL. I’m not sure if she still wants to do it.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Ready to advertise for a DPL.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Lynne, when I search for "The Crock of Gold" from the home page, I get no results. I do get results for "Crock of Gold". Presumably this is because the original BC left out "the" from the title. I've added it back in, but still no results. Can you fix this?
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

I thought I claimed the dpl-ship of the book and was entered into the mw. Perhaps I was wrong? It was on my to do list.
but Michelle, if I am the dpl, please post in the thread after uploading a chapter. I don't look at the mw unless you post.
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
msfry

Post by msfry »

miss stav wrote: June 19th, 2020, 8:07 am I thought I claimed the dpl-ship of the book and was entered into the mw. Perhaps I was wrong? It was on my to do list.
but Michelle, if I am the dpl, please post in the thread after uploading a chapter. I don't look at the mw unless you post.
Stav.
Hi, Stav. I think when Lynne and I started the project over, we started from scratch. I'd be happy for you to DPL for me, and I will put the link for each section in a post.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

'The' added to the project page.
Summary added to the project page.
Miss Stav added back in as DPL.
Tilde in subject line deleted.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Lynne, still no results when I search on the home page for THE CROCK OF GOLD
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

msfry wrote: June 19th, 2020, 3:37 pm Lynne, still no results when I search on the home page for THE CROCK OF GOLD
That's strange. I get it both by going to the Home Page and going via the catalog.
THynes

Post by THynes »

Hi Michele,
Here's the link. I hope I did everything correctly :D
Tadhg

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/crockofgold_pronunciation_thynes_128kb.mp3
www.victorianclassicaudiobooks.com
msfry

Post by msfry »

THynes wrote: June 27th, 2020, 8:23 am Hi Michele,
Here's the link. I hope I did everything correctly :D
Tadhg