[COMPLETE]Multilingual Short Works Collection 024 - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

@Michael: we still need to insert between brackets the titles into the Roman alphabet. Do you have any idea how to transcribe the Hindi and Marathi alphabet ? :? Maybe we need to PM one of our Indian volunteers.

I can do it for the Russian titles if you wish, or you can do those as well. I started already on a few.

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Thank you, Sonia, for the kind words. :9:
Keywords for 17 (Scythians):
Russian, poetry, Silver age, symbolism, struggle, survival.
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: June 18th, 2020, 1:09 am
@Todd: I can change the filenames again tonight if you like, that way we will have them in alpha-numerical order again.

Sonia
That would be great.

Thanks, Todd
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Kitty wrote: June 18th, 2020, 1:13 am @Michael: we still need to insert between brackets the titles into the Roman alphabet. Do you have any idea how to transcribe the Hindi and Marathi alphabet ? :? Maybe we need to PM one of our Indian volunteers.

I can do it for the Russian titles if you wish, or you can do those as well. I started already on a few.

Sonia
I didn't know we were doing that for all tracks. It's done. I would have enjoyed relearning the Devanagari alphabet for this, but Google Translate does transliteration for you, so I'll do it the quick way for now. Do we use transliteration and not translation in all cases?

Another point of consistency is "key words" vs. "keywords". As I read it, "key words" means the most important words, which to me suggests words from the text, while "keywords" is a technical term from information retrieval. A keyword is a term that the user is expected to enter into a search engine to retrieve an entry, which may not appear in its text. Which one are we using here?

Michael
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kazbek wrote: June 18th, 2020, 5:18 amGoogle Translate does transliteration for you, so I'll do it the quick way for now.
can we rely on the accuracy of that ?
Do we use transliteration and not translation in all cases?
no translation, only transcribing the letters into the Latin alphabet. The title should be the original title still, only searchable in case someone writes it in the Latin alphabet
A keyword is a term that the user is expected to enter into a search engine to retrieve an entry, which may not appear in its text. Which one are we using here?
yes I think this is what we were aiming for.

Sonia
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Kitty wrote: June 18th, 2020, 5:23 am
Kazbek wrote: June 18th, 2020, 5:18 amGoogle Translate does transliteration for you, so I'll do it the quick way for now.
For languages I know, its transliterations have been accurate, if sometimes a bit idiosyncratic, in recent times. If you want, I can brush up on the alphabet(s) over the next few days (probably over the weekend), or we can post a message on some forum asking someone to double check.
Do we use transliteration and not translation in all cases?
no translation, only transcribing the letters into the Latin alphabet. The title should be the original title still, only searchable in case someone writes it in the Latin alphabet
Hmm, can our search engine handle all diacritics for Roman letters? I know it can't handle them for Cyrillic, so, for example, it won't find a term with marked stress (as author names appear on some of our catalog pages), if you search on variants without the stress.
A keyword is a term that the user is expected to enter into a search engine to retrieve an entry, which may not appear in its text. Which one are we using here?
yes I think this is what we were aiming for.
Ok. These days, most people would probably call that "tags". Just a thought...

Michael
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Re. sec.17:
I am not exactly sure what the role of transliteration is, but it should be "Skify", not "Skiphy" :-)
Last edited by chulsky on June 18th, 2020, 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

chulsky wrote: June 18th, 2020, 6:03 am Re. sec.17:
I am not exactly sure what is the role of transliterations, but it should be "Skify", not "Skiphy" :-)
Thanks, updated. I guess it takes an effort of will to not be influenced by Greek etymologies when using the Latin alphabet. :)

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Kazbek wrote: June 18th, 2020, 5:34 am
Kitty wrote: June 18th, 2020, 5:23 am
For languages I know, its transliterations have been accurate, if sometimes a bit idiosyncratic, in recent times. If you want, I can brush up on the alphabet(s) over the next few days (probably over the weekend), or we can post a message on some forum asking someone to double check.
Another data point is that Google Translate can do text-to-speech for both Hindi and Marathi. I just listened to it for the section titles, and it matched the transliterations, except for some elided vowels.

Michael
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

I think, it was Michael's intention to position the Derzhavin's and Pushkin's Памятник's (sec.16 and 18) next to each other. I am sorry, I unintentionally barged in between. :(
Misha, maybe you could take "Я" out of the Pushkin's title, to bring them back together?
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

chulsky wrote: June 18th, 2020, 6:26 am I think, it was Michael's intention to position the Derzhavin's and Pushkin's Памятник's (sec.16 and 18) next to each other. I am sorry, I unintentionally barged in between. :(
Misha, maybe you could take "Я" out of the Pushkin's title, to bring them back together?
Thanks, Mark. It's very considerate of you to notice! I think they're still close enough for listeners to spot them both at once, and frankly, I doubt Pushkin's poem is in need of any additional publicity. :) It's mainly Derzhavin's version that I wanted to make better known, and I think most listeners will be capable of connecting the dots themselves. If we aren't strict about alphabetic order, we could bring them together, but, if not, it's not a problem.

Michael
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok Todd, the file names are in the correct order now and I think they won't make any trouble in the uploading process. Fingers crossed.

This project is ready to get archived. :) We've had 13 languages this time. Thank you all :clap:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

This project is complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page at https://librivox.org/multilingual-short-works-collection-024-poetry-prose-by-various/

Many thanks to you all.

And I will start another collection shortly.

Thanks, Todd
HannaPonomarenko

Post by HannaPonomarenko »

Yeee) This is my very first publication :D Thanks to everybody, special thanks to Michael)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

HannaPonomarenko wrote: June 18th, 2020, 1:14 pmYeee) This is my very first publication :D
:clap: the very first will always be special :9: I hope there are more to come.

Sonia