COMPLETE [Play] The Gondoliers by W.S. Gilbert - annise

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'd already told Beth I would BC and take up the final DPL if needed, so Mark and I should be able to finish this sometime.
So thanks for the offers, maybe you can help with one of her other projects ?

Anne
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Super - just seeing if it was already covered. thanks :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

annise wrote: January 30th, 2020, 3:51 pm I'd already told Beth I would BC and take up the final DPL if needed, so Mark and I should be able to finish this sometime.
So thanks for the offers, maybe you can help with one of her other projects ?
Anne
Good to hear this. Thanks Annise.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

There are just two sections needing PL. Once that's done I can begin putting it all together.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Working on editing Act I together. Will keep y’all posted as to progress.

My website
My Librivox reader page
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Still working on Act I. Slow going, but plugging away. Your efforts will not be wasted. I am having to make executive decisions re the choruses, but everyone's recordings will be used in some fashion.

My website
My Librivox reader page
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Sorry it took so long, but at long last I have an edit of Act I ready for PL:

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/gondoliers_01_gilbert_128kb.mp3

51:01

Now that I've been through it once and learned from mistakes, Act II shouldn't take so long.

My website
My Librivox reader page
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

sjmarky wrote: June 15th, 2020, 4:22 pm Sorry it took so long, but at long last I have an edit of Act I ready for PL:
I have just listened to this and I am puzzled. I recorded the role Don Alhambra 2 years ago and had it PL OKed by Beth. But I find now that while the characters dialogue is by me his solo song is by someone else. If some of my recording was unusable for some reason I would have been grateful to have had the chance to re-record it myself.
Alan
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Alan
I'm sorry if something odd happened and I'll try to work it out but DRs are difficult to manage and almost impossible to take over from the original BC. Mark and I are just trying to get it in the catalogue and he has just assembled what was already PLed and in the MW - if you want to tell me what the file would have been called or find the post where you submitted it it would be helpful, otherwise I'll add this to my (long) list (above PLing the act) and hope to get to it soon

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It turns out I still had your original submission in my folder and your singing was fine. However the first post does clearly say no singing please and the choruses were all recorded as verse - why you were not told I do not know, and if I'd recorded them I'd have found it nigh on impossible not to sing :D , but that was the problem.

Anne
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

annise wrote: June 15th, 2020, 9:02 pm It turns out I still had your original submission in my folder and your singing was fine. However the first post does clearly say no singing please and the choruses were all recorded as verse - why you were not told I do not know, and if I'd recorded them I'd have found it nigh on impossible not to sing :D , but that was the problem.
My original recording is in MW. As I said it was OKed by Beth who said at the time that she could use my sung version. If it is now considered a problem I would have re-recorded it in spoken form, given the chance.
Alan
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Elizabby wrote: October 27th, 2018, 8:48 pm
alanmapstone wrote: October 26th, 2018, 9:42 am Don Alhambra act 1
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/gondoliers_donalhambra_1.mp3
Thanks Alan, Act 1 is PL OK - please be careful about singing in the group scenes though. I don't mind if you sing your solos, but singing when it is supposed to be a quartet or more is very difficult to coordinate. I think I can manage with what you've done here, but in Act 2 please just read/recite for group songs.
This is the post in which Beth OKed it.
Alan
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll talk about it with Mark after I have had time to PL act 1

Anne
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

alanmapstone wrote: June 15th, 2020, 8:29 pm
sjmarky wrote: June 15th, 2020, 4:22 pm Sorry it took so long, but at long last I have an edit of Act I ready for PL:
I have just listened to this and I am puzzled. I recorded the role Don Alhambra 2 years ago and had it PL OKed by Beth. But I find now that while the characters dialogue is by me his solo song is by someone else. If some of my recording was unusable for some reason I would have been grateful to have had the chance to re-record it myself.
I do apologize - it was an editing error. Another character (the Duke) read the same passage and I inserted the wrong one. No offense or comment on your performance was intended. I am re-editing Act I right now based on this and other comments and I'll have a cleaner version for PL shortly.

My website
My Librivox reader page
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

sjmarky wrote: June 16th, 2020, 9:48 am I do apologize - it was an editing error. Another character (the Duke) read the same passage and I inserted the wrong one. No offense or comment on your performance was intended. I am re-editing Act I right now based on this and other comments and I'll have a cleaner version for PL shortly.
Hi Mark
Checking back to the Gutenberg text I can see how it could be misinterpreted as saying that all 5 characters should do all the lines of the song. Perhaps that is why Todd read all the lines and not just the refrain. :hmm:
Thanks. It is difficult to edit these dramatic works, I tried it once and gave up.
Alan