"After the dazzle of day is gone,
Only the dark, dark night shows to my eyes the stars;
After the clangor of organ majestic, or chorus, or perfect band,
Silent, athwart my soul, moves the symphony true."
Walt Whitman
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

reecedawg wrote: June 15th, 2020, 9:40 pmMay I claim Horace, please?
you may ! Thanks, Matt. Super to have you in here as well. Pinero is great :9:

Sonia
Dani251

Post by Dani251 »

May I read Mrs. Gilfillian, sections 6 to 8, please?
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. (Note that the sections move around in a drama MW as I keep unclaimed sections on top: your 6-8 are now 9-11....)

Here is a short summary for the important special rules in drama:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file, which should be something like: "Iphicrate, prince in love with Eriphyle, read by XXXX" (whatever you want your reader name to be)

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. Also include any "All" lines while your character is on stage. For a big role it may be good to read the entire play to get into character, but at least it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role.

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting.

4) edit your reading, name it as indicated in the first posting (one file per act), and then upload. Your file will be proof-listened, and you may receive some notes on corrections and their time locations in your file. These will be posted in the forum and show in the Magic Window marked as "See PL Notes" - please cut corrections into your file to update it and upload a new file (SAME NAME) in a reasonable time - like before your voice and equipment setup change and everything sounds different!

5) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 2-3 seconds or more. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [kisses her hand]), also leave 2-3 seconds of pause there, because our editor (me) later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his (my) master file and it's helpful if he (me) has enough space to fiddle with

That's it, I think. Just have fun acting out. And post any questions here.

Thanks, Todd
Karsus

Post by Karsus »

I would like to read Sections 1-3 (Clement Hale).
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Certainly. Take a look at what I said just before your post for some guidance.

Thanks, Todd
Dani251

Post by Dani251 »

ToddHW wrote: June 16th, 2020, 6:37 am Thank you. (Note that the sections move around in a drama MW as I keep unclaimed sections on top: your 6-8 are now 9-11....)

Here is a short summary for the important special rules in drama:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file, which should be something like: "Iphicrate, prince in love with Eriphyle, read by XXXX" (whatever you want your reader name to be)

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. Also include any "All" lines while your character is on stage. For a big role it may be good to read the entire play to get into character, but at least it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role.

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting.

4) edit your reading, name it as indicated in the first posting (one file per act), and then upload. Your file will be proof-listened, and you may receive some notes on corrections and their time locations in your file. These will be posted in the forum and show in the Magic Window marked as "See PL Notes" - please cut corrections into your file to update it and upload a new file (SAME NAME) in a reasonable time - like before your voice and equipment setup change and everything sounds different!

5) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 2-3 seconds or more. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [kisses her hand]), also leave 2-3 seconds of pause there, because our editor (me) later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his (my) master file and it's helpful if he (me) has enough space to fiddle with

That's it, I think. Just have fun acting out. And post any questions here.

Thanks, Todd
Thank you, Todd! I'm excited about this! I'll be careful to follow your instructions, D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wohooo, a outstanding performance here, Andrew 8-) Now Dick Phenyl is quite three sheets to the wind here in the beginning, but is slowly sobering up during the act :lol: He must have had quite the hangover from last night's trip to the pub. :shock: But a very memorable character you created here.

I have a few small corrections to add though:

> for the voice credit, please always read the full description, which you can see in the MW: "Richard (Dick) Phenyl (a Barrister), read by Andrew James" ("act 1" is not needed, you can cut that out)

> at about 2:35: (p. 22) missed line: "Clem"

> at 12:47: (p. 39) "I'll teach you to remind me of the time when I was a promising lad like Cripp's pupil !" – you forgot "of the time"

The rest is perfect. I enjoyed it very much. And looking forward to the next act. Hopefully by then he has sobered up :mrgreen:

Thank you

Sonia
Andrewjames

Post by Andrewjames »

hi sonia

ill sort out those missed bits asap. im afraid hes even more worse for wear by the end of the 2nd act!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Andrewjames wrote: June 17th, 2020, 5:14 amim afraid hes even more worse for wear by the end of the 2nd act!
:shock: I hope you are not doing method acting ;)

A small word of caution: please try to sober him up at least long enough, so his speech is not too slurred. In some parts in the beginning of act 1 I had a bit of a hard time understanding it all. You have to find the fine line between great acting out (which you do) but still being clearly understandable for your audience. Remember they don't have any visuals here, so it's important they hear the speech clearly.

Sonia
Andrewjames

Post by Andrewjames »

Kitty wrote: June 17th, 2020, 12:45 am

> for the voice credit, please always read the full description, which you can see in the MW: "Richard (Dick) Phenyl (a Barrister), read by Andrew James" ("act 1" is not needed, you can cut that out)

> at about 2:35: (p. 22) missed line: "Clem"

> at 12:47: (p. 39) "I'll teach you to remind me of the time when I was a promising lad like Cripp's pupil !" – you forgot "of the time"

Sonia
hi,

heres the file with added bits. i redid the line after "Clem" as well so they sounded similar.

17min33 dick act 1

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/sweetlavender_dick_1_128kb.mp3
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Andrewjames

Post by Andrewjames »

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »