Do prose poems go in the short poetry collections or the short fiction collections?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Timothy Ferguson

Post by Timothy Ferguson »

Hi,

I'd like to record "Levana and the Ladies of Sorrow" by de Qunicey. He thought it was a poem in prose. What's our take on this?
My occasional blog is Games from Folktales
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

No one has replied, probably because no one knows for sure. :)

Personally, I think poetry has some sort of rhyme and meter. I never understood "prose poems" and consider that an oxymoron. So I'm probably not the best person to answer this. Ha ha!

I'd put it in a short nonfiction collection, if I were Queen of the Universe. But you could ask the BC of the Short Poetry Collection if they'd accept it. (Provide a link to the text so they can look at it.)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Archy and Mehitabel by Don Marquis is generally considered poetry, despite very few of the poems having rhyme or metre. I'd go for calling something poetry if the author/publisher calls it poetry.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Peter Why wrote: June 15th, 2020, 12:17 pm Archy and Mehitabel by Don Marquis is generally considered poetry, despite very few of the poems having rhyme or metre. I'd go for calling something poetry if the author/publisher calls it poetry.

Peter
I hope to live long enough to record archie and mehitabel for LV. Two more years to go!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/understanding-prose-poetry#what-is-prose-poetry

If you google "Levana and the Ladies of Sorrow" by de Qunicey, the results show that it is widely considered to be a prose poem, so IMO it should go in a poetry collection.
Jo