[COMPLETE] The Golden Bough: The Magic Art and the Evolution of Kings, Volume 2 - lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
niobium

Post by niobium »

The Golden Bough: The Magic Art and the Evolution of Kings, Volume 2 by James Frazer (1854 - 1941).

This project is now complete. All audio file are located in the catalog: https://librivox.org/the-golden-bough-the-magic-art-and-the-evolution-of-kings-volume-2-by-james-frazer/
The second volume in Frazer's seminal 12 volume set on anthropology and traditional systems of belief. The superstition and magical purpose of kings is further discussed alongside the worship of trees, vegetation, fire, and the sacred marriages, and the mystical bond between people and trees. ( Leon Harvey)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/b21356737_002/page/n7/mode/2up
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Golden Bough: The Magic Art and the Evolution of Kings, Volume 2. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Golden Bough: The Magic Art and the Evolution of Kings, Volume 2, by James Frazer. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Golden Bough: The Magic Art and the Evolution of Kings, Volume 2 by James Frazer. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Golden Bough: The Magic Art and the Evolution of Kings, Volume 2, by James Frazer. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename goldenbough2_##_frazer_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. goldenbough2_01_frazer_128kb.mp3)
  • Ignore ID tags. These will be completed automatically during cataloging.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: linny
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
linny

Post by linny »

I can MC this for you. Do you have a DPL lined up?

EDIT: Your MW is ready for you. Let me know if you have any difficulties.

I added a ~ to the subject in case you don't have a DPL lined up. I also shortened the file name to be consistent with volume 1. The file names are automatically generated and you are welcome to shorten them.
niobium

Post by niobium »

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/goldenbough2_01_frazer_128kb.mp3

first section is 12 minutes.

i do not have a proof listener offering help.
linny

Post by linny »

OK, we will stay on the launch pad a day or so and see if a DPL shows interest.
niobium

Post by niobium »

how long does it normally take? not that i keep score, but it has not been a problem in the past few years
linny

Post by linny »

Oh, it really depends. Right now because so many folks are in quarantine there is a little lack of PLers. Don’t let it stop you from recording. As we say at LV... everything eventually gets done. :D
lsaravia

Post by lsaravia »

Hi there, I just listened to your recording and have a couple of things to point out.
There is a steady hum in the background.
Also, I understand these cuts are there to differentiate between the sections of the chapter, yet they're very sudden and make the audio sound unnatural or cut off. I noticed these cuts at 2:45, 4:59, and 8:33.
Lastly, At 12:04 when you said "End of Chapter 8", the audio also seemed to be cut off or unnatural.

:) Have a great day.
linny

Post by linny »

lsaravia wrote: June 12th, 2020, 5:57 pm Hi there, I just listened to your recording and have a couple of things to point out.
Also, I understand these cuts are there to differentiate between the sections of the chapter, yet they're very sudden and make the audio sound unnatural or cut off. I noticed these cuts at 2:45, 4:59, and 8:33.
Lastly, At 12:04 when you said "End of Chapter 8", the audio also seemed to be cut off or unnatural.

Thank you for the PL and welcome to LV. Please make sure you have reviewed the PL process. https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Guide_for_Proof-listeners
linny

Post by linny »

niobium wrote: June 9th, 2020, 3:36 pm how long does it normally take? not that i keep score, but it has not been a problem in the past few years
Have you ever posted a listeners wanted ad in the Listeners & Editors Wanted thread?

Here is the template for doing so. Let me know if you have any questions about it. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/ProofListening_Template

I'm going to move us over to Going Solo.
linny

Post by linny »

lsaravia wrote: June 12th, 2020, 5:57 pm Hi there, I just listened to your recording and have a couple of things to point out.

Clarifying and expanding on PL Notes.

Intro does not match the first post.

It seem you missed a few spots when you were noise cleaning. The following areas could use a touch. 0:28-1:28, 2:24-2:26, 3:13-3:52, 4:11-4:59.

Most of your breaks between subsections are fine. I'm a fan of ~ 1.5 seconds. The break at 5:00 could use some trimming.

11:13 – extra word – Themselves for fear of being elevated to the invidious dignity which he has what just vacated.

Ending silence is at 7 seconds. Please trim to ~ 5 seconds.
niobium

Post by niobium »

section 1 and 2 both ready for proof listening. There may still be a problem with the buzzing although i have made some noise reductions. Unfortunately this also affects the voice we want to keep in, but if you feel there is any parts that need to be done again, i can go over a few minutes, but be aware that a change of microphones and different times will probably make itself felt in the recording.
linny

Post by linny »

Since you didn't re-record section 1 I'm going to toggle it to "Ready for Spot Check".
niobium

Post by niobium »

niobium

Post by niobium »

LGroden

Post by LGroden »

Hi, could I PL for section 2?