Groups and associations

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
niobium

Post by niobium »

Does this forum have a feature for allowing users to form and join groups? I think there was a thread somewhere about organising meetups in some cities for listening fans and readers somewhere around here. But I was more interested if there was a plan to see associations formed about topics. There is already the search function on the main page which sort of hints at what I am suggesting where Authors, or topics can be selected from a list. Imagine something like 'history' and then broken in periods, or 'archaeology' where people who have that particular interest can converge.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You could make a thread but as far as I know there is no way to make them exclusive - and it can be hard to keep threads on a topic around here :D
So I don't really know if it is possible with our software but I don't remember it ever happening.

Anne
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

I get an immediate sense of apprehension: why would you want to do that? to work on a project, you create a project and anybody can join in if there is work do be done. but to create an association to designate yourselves as separate from any other part of the community? WTH for? :shock:
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

We have a Facebook group that might be used for like minded people to set up sub groups. ?? just brainstorming here. LibriVox Readers and Listeners is the name. Note that this is not an official thing, just something us readers and listeners put together to talk about stuff. close to 3 thousand members.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Typically, people with like interests tend to converge already, because they tend to choose the same types of books to work on. The longer you volunteer here and the more projects you work on, the more you'll start to notice the same people showing up in your projects again and again. It's not a formal process, no, but I don't see why there should be one, either.
niobium

Post by niobium »

there is actually a facebook group serving as a book club for reading St. Augustine which gave me the idea. but i thought it would be helpful to have a subscribed thread aimed at a topic or category to both attract interest to new additions and those that are already archived.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You can try one, if you like. But things like book clubs have been tried in the forums before but seem to fizzle out. I think most of us are too busy recording to do a lot of talk about books we're listening to. :)

And I'm not sure about just a general thread/area for a specific type of reader. One could try, for example, starting a thread for general discussion among readers of... ancient/classic literature or something and see how it goes, but my gut tells me it wouldn't go very far.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

You can always make a new thread about "whatever" and people who are interested can subscribe/bookmark it and discuss, of course.
Having some sort of "closed" groups, possibly with invitation only (if that's what you're suggesting, I'm not sure) somehow goes against the all inclusive grain of LV, I would say (with admin hat off).
niobium wrote: June 12th, 2020, 4:45 pm i thought it would be helpful to have a subscribed thread aimed at a topic or category to both attract interest to new additions and those that are already archived.
So you want to talk about books that are already finished?
There have been two or three attempts at LV book clubs over the years, all with the aim to read/discuss specific books from our catalog. Somehow, none of them gained traction. :hmm:

I guess it's because we're very reader centric on here, that people are listening too is nice, but not a necessary requirement for our existence. :D

Tricia, what is it - you're too fast for me today. :lol:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com