COMPLETE [HISTORY] The Cambridge Modern History. Volume 01, The Renaissance-Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RuthP

Post by RuthP »

Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

RuthP wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 3:37 am Corrected version of section 48:

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory1_48_128kb.mp3
Thanks! MW updated. I used my math skills to calculate the expected length after adding one second of silence. :mrgreen:

Michael
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Can you take a look at sections 65 and 67, which are both marked as awaiting spot check? :)
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Piotrek81 wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 11:26 am Can you take a look at sections 65 and 67, which are both marked as awaiting spot check? :)
Yes, thank you for the reminder! Section 67 sounds perfect, but Section 65 is still 84.9 dB. I'm so sorry... I'm not sure what's going on!

PL OK: 4, 16, 26, 48, 67
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

rainbowsnsunshine wrote: May 30th, 2020, 3:08 am Hello, this is chapter 49. https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory1_49_128kb.mp3
thank you for the opportunity :)
Thank you, rainbowsnsunshine! What wonderful reading. I do have a few PL notes for Section 49...

First of all, there was significant buzzing and humming in the background of your recording which detracted from your reading. Please eliminate this background noise using Audacity's noise cleaning feature. To perform noise cleaning, please follow the instructions here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noise_Cleaning. You are going to want to get a noise sample on a few seconds that contain both the high-pitched buzzing and the low hum in order to eliminate both from your entire recording. See 03:35 to hear an example of the buzzing I am talking about. (I listened to some of another recording that you submitted to Ann's/icequeen's project, and the background noise sounds much, much better. Perhaps you could use the same method to clean this recording as you used to clean the recording you submitted to Ann's project.)

There were also some periods of white noise. Noise cleaning will make this white noise quieter, but in my opinion, it should still be edited out. I have noted the timestamps of the white noise below.

0:33 No need to say "Chapter 15, Economic Change" a second time; also, a few seconds of white noise before this need to be deleted
01:20-01:26 Loud background noise (car?), white noise, and long silence
08:14-08:19 White noise and long silence
10:29 Car beeping in background
12:03 Bump in background
20:49 Click from editing
21:59-22:02 Long silence with noise in background
24:13-24:15 Long silence
31:54-31:57 Long silence
33:12 Stumble/repeat ("on the northern side of the . . . on the northern side of the Mediterranean")
34:38 5 seconds of silence needed at end of file (currently only 3)

Another note for next time (you don't need to do anything about this right now): When I opened your file in Audacity, I noticed that there was significant clipping. Clipping occurs when the input volume is too high, either due to your microphone settings or microphone placement (i.e. you are speaking too close to the microphone). The volume of your voice is too high for the microphone to record, which causes audio distortion. Luckily, there is a quick and easy way to fix how much sound the microphone picks up, and you can continue to speak in your normal voice without moving your microphone around. Learn how to adjust the input volume using your computer here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Setting_Recording_Input_Level. Once you adjust the input volume, you can check to make sure the volume of your files are still within range (87-91 dB) using Checker: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker

Please make the above changes and re-upload the file using the same file name. (You can adjust your input volume, too, but obviously that won't affect the files you have already recorded.) Post in this thread with the new file duration when you are ready for spot PL. Thanks so much - let me know if you have any questions.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

cadastra wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 7:20 pm
Piotrek81 wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 11:26 am Can you take a look at sections 65 and 67, which are both marked as awaiting spot check? :)
Yes, thank you for the reminder! Section 67 sounds perfect, but Section 65 is still 84.9 dB. I'm so sorry... I'm not sure what's going on!

PL OK: 4, 16, 26, 48, 67
Thanks for PLing, Cadastra, and sorry to hear we're having some difficulty here. I just checked to file to see if perhaps a peak was preventing amplification, but Piotrek has a remarkably even speaking level and I had no difficulty changing the volume with Amplify or ReplayGain Normalize. If you want, Piotrek, I can just upload an amplified version, though perhaps you may want to get to the bottom of this yourself, to be sure that whatever it is we're experiencing here isn't happening with your contributions in other projects.

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Quoting this just to make sure you see my message just above. :)

Michael
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

The volume is ok, but the file name has an extra 0 in it. I'll just upload your new file with the correct name, and problem solved. :)

I hope Cadastra doesn't mind me stepping in. I was frankly too intrigued to resist. :mrgreen:

Michael
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

<facepalm>
Thanks, Kazbek :)
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Kazbek wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 3:33 pm
The volume is ok, but the file name has an extra 0 in it. I'll just upload your new file with the correct name, and problem solved. :)

I hope Cadastra doesn't mind me stepping in. I was frankly too intrigued to resist. :mrgreen:

Michael
:lol: I was getting to the point where I was convinced the low volume must be a problem on my end, so I appreciate it!
wildlindajohnson

Post by wildlindajohnson »

I've just finished recording Section 55, but since I don't speak Greek, I need someone who can tell me how to speak the few words appearing on page 562 of the text (page 600 of the .pdf) in the top third of the page.

I don't seem able to paste an image of it here, and it's not text that can be pasted into a translator either. Can someone here help?

Many thanks,
Linda

Linda Johnson
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

wildlindajohnson wrote: June 6th, 2020, 4:49 pm I've just finished recording Section 55, but since I don't speak Greek, I need someone who can tell me how to speak the few words appearing on page 562 of the text (page 600 of the .pdf) in the top third of the page.

I don't seem able to paste an image of it here, and it's not text that can be pasted into a translator either. Can someone here help?

Many thanks,
Linda

Sure. Approximately: toh tohn OHN-ton eh-rah-STEE. It means "to a lover of things that are" (also, approximately, because you can do some un-Englishable things with the root "to be" in Greek). :)

Thanks!
Michael
wildlindajohnson

Kazbek wrote: June 6th, 2020, 5:01 pm
wildlindajohnson wrote: June 6th, 2020, 4:49 pm I've just finished recording Section 55, but since I don't speak Greek, I need someone who can tell me how to speak the few words appearing on page 562 of the text (page 600 of the .pdf) in the top third of the page.

Many thanks,
Linda

Sure. Approximately: toh tohn OHN-ton eh-rah-STEE. It means "to a lover of things that are" (also, approximately, because you can do some un-Englishable things with the root "to be" in Greek). :)

Thanks!
Michael
Thanks so much for the quick answer :clap:
Linda Johnson
wildlindajohnson

Linda Johnson