[COMPLETE] Taras Bulba by Gogol - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SimonSG

Post by SimonSG »

Should the status for chapter 10 in the MW be set to "Ready for PL", "PL ok" or should I leave it as "See PL notes"?
linny

Post by linny »

I started to PL section 2. Did you read from the project gutenberg text in the first post? The word changes I found lead me to believe this was read from a different edition.

PG: All three horsemen rode in silence. Old Taras’s thoughts were far away: before him passed his youth, his years—the swift-flying years, over
Read: All three horsemen rode on in silence. Old Taras's was thinking of the distant past: before him passed his youth, his years—his vanished years

PG:which the Cossack always weeps, wishing that his life might be all youth. He wondered whom of his former comrades he should meet at the Setch. He reckoned up how many had already died, how many were still alive. Tears formed slowly in his eyes, and his grey head bent sadly.
Read: Tears formed slowly in his eyes, and his grey head drooped dejectedly.

Please confirm the edition you are reading and provide a link so we know it's in the PD.
HannaPonomarenko

Post by HannaPonomarenko »

SimonSG wrote: June 6th, 2020, 4:18 am Should the status for chapter 10 in the MW be set to "Ready for PL", "PL ok" or should I leave it as "See PL notes"?
As I wrote before
"The text source differs between the Project page and the thread. The one in the thread matches the recording.", but smb made both links the same as in the Project page and it is not what Simon read. So I can't re-PL Chapter 10. But smb set the status of it as PL OK, so maybe I don't have to.

Please clarify
Thanks
SimonSG

Post by SimonSG »

Last edited by SimonSG on June 6th, 2020, 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
SimonSG

Post by SimonSG »

linny wrote: June 6th, 2020, 6:40 am I started to PL section 2. Did you read from the project gutenberg text in the first post? The word changes I found lead me to believe this was read from a different edition.

PG: All three horsemen rode in silence. Old Taras’s thoughts were far away: before him passed his youth, his years—the swift-flying years, over
Read: All three horsemen rode on in silence. Old Taras's was thinking of the distant past: before him passed his youth, his years—his vanished years

PG:which the Cossack always weeps, wishing that his life might be all youth. He wondered whom of his former comrades he should meet at the Setch. He reckoned up how many had already died, how many were still alive. Tears formed slowly in his eyes, and his grey head bent sadly.
Read: Tears formed slowly in his eyes, and his grey head drooped dejectedly.

Please confirm the edition you are reading and provide a link so we know it's in the PD.
I have modified the source to https://archive.org/details/tarasbulba00unkngoog/page/n62/mode/2up This is the text I used.
Last edited by SimonSG on June 6th, 2020, 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
SimonSG

Post by SimonSG »

HannaPonomarenko wrote: June 6th, 2020, 7:18 am
SimonSG wrote: June 6th, 2020, 4:18 am Should the status for chapter 10 in the MW be set to "Ready for PL", "PL ok" or should I leave it as "See PL notes"?
As I wrote before
"The text source differs between the Project page and the thread. The one in the thread matches the recording.", but smb made both links the same as in the Project page and it is not what Simon read. So I can't re-PL Chapter 10. But smb set the status of it as PL OK, so maybe I don't have to.

Please clarify
Thanks
Have changed 10 to ready for PL.
SimonSG

Post by SimonSG »

SimonSG wrote: June 6th, 2020, 4:12 am Great. I'll tamper with the other chapters in the same fashion and upload them over the next few days.

Thanks.
Have decided to wait for listeners to approve individual sections before levelling the sound, so I can make any necessary edits first.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

HannaPonomarenko wrote: June 6th, 2020, 7:18 am
As I wrote before

Please clarify
Thanks
That was me. Obviously I got confused what you meant with "project page".

We refer to the first post as, well "first post" and all the others later down as "the thread".
Anyway, since Simon changed the text in the first post back to the archive link, I have now entered this in the database as well.

Thanks to all the PLers for all your help! :clap:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
HannaPonomarenko

Post by HannaPonomarenko »

Sorry for confusing you. I read referring to Project page at some other book and thought it was a recognized standard.
Chapter 10 PL OK.
Thanks)
SimonSG

Post by SimonSG »

Thank you very much Hanna and anyone else who volunteers his/her time to PL.

Note that I've set section one to Ready for PL, having taken on board the feedback of Anne, who isn't however proof-listening.
linny

Post by linny »

I can PL section 1.

After looking at your waves and doing a little spot pl I've noticed that when you read voices you are much louder than your normal narration. This is very typical. In order to meet the volume requirements you will likely need to use the compressor prior to amplification. If you use Audacity here is a video that can help you through the process. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fKYYj6HMZU
linny

Post by linny »

I really enjoyed your acting. :clap: At some point you may want to browse through the Dramatic Reading threads.

Section 1 is 83.4dB. We aim for 89dB with an allowable range of 86-92dB. Please amplify by 6dB.

Due to the high/lows you won't be able to do a straight amplification. After going through the compression/amplification a few times you might find that you need to amplify more than 6dB in order to get the low parts loud enough.

Here is a full listing of our instructional videos. https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Instructional_Videos

If you need assistance with making the change please ask and let us know what software you are using.

When you upload your changes please use the same file name and toggle the MW to 'Ready for Spot check'. For now, please toggle section 1 to 'See PL notes'.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thank you Linny! I've set the section to "See PL notes"

I am sorry that you had to do this since these are more or less the same PL notes that Anne has found less than a week ago.
SimonSG wrote: June 7th, 2020, 12:42 am Note that I've set section one to Ready for PL, having taken on board the feedback of Anne, who isn't however proof-listening.
Simon, what does "taking on board" mean? I thought you had fixed the file's volume issues according to what we told you and reuploaded the file?

There is no need to have multiple PL of a file just because you fix volume issues if that's the only thing wrong with it. Anne is an experienced PLer, she would have flagged other problems.

I would suggest you simply reupload all the files with the volume fixed and then we'll wait for PL to fix other issues (you seem to be a good reader, so there shouldn't be many misreadings or stumbles).

We are all volunteers here, doing what we can in whatever (little) time we have. I feel you have wasted either Anne's or Linny's time and efforts to PLing one and the same file. Please don't do this again, it's very annoying to duplicate efforts.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
SimonSG

Post by SimonSG »

Thanks, Linny. Will definitely look at contributing to dramatic works.

Ava, when I brought section 10 into line I did so with a lot of amplifying and limiting etc. hence the comment about the way the wave looked. While I have taken on board (i.e. accepted as valid) the comment about sound levels, I'd rather do the amplifying and limiting for other sections after other PL comments have been acted upon. The reason is that if I need to redo a passage, for example, I don't want it to sound different to the rest. Anne gave feedback about the sound, which was very helpful, but she also made it clear she wasn't proof-listening. So before adjusting the sound I wanted to see if there were other aspects of the section to modify.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

As I understood Anne, she said she is not offering to PL the whole book. She did listen to the whole section 1 though.

In any case, since we do not have a DPL - a dedicated proof listener who will listen to the whole book - (yet), every PLer you will get will comment on the sound issue and may not listen to the whole section until this is fixed. This is again a waste of time (just writing about the sound and giving the same tips over and over again - all 3 PLers did that) and not necessary.

Please fix the volume issue in all files and re-upload them.

If you are worried about having to fix anything else, keep the original unprocessed file as well (as lossless .wav or .flac file for example) so if there is something to fix, you can use the unprocessed ones.
However, given that you don't seem to make any mistakes at all, I would be very suprised if you had serious PL notes to attend to anyway.

Thank you.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com