Personal Translations of Works Not in the Public Domain

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
ecb5332

Post by ecb5332 »

Hello!
I am English-Spanish bilingual and have been working on some translation projects for some college classes. My biggest project has been translating Requiém por un campesino español, one of my favorite Spanish works of literature. I am not done with the translation yet but once I am, I think it would be a good addition to the LibriVox catalogue but is this possible? Requiém was written by a Spanish man, Ramón J Sender, in 1953, and he died in 1982, so it won't go out of copyright until 2052 if I understand copyright law correctly. Can my translation be used for a LibriVox project if I release my translation into the public domain, or would I need a contract with the copyright holders of Requiém in order to do this?
Thank you!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome!

No, we cannot record your personal translation for a couple reasons:
(1) The original has to be out of copyright in order for any translations to be out of copyright.
(2) Your translation isn't "traditionally published". We don't record self-published (or unpublished) works.

In Canada, that work will be PD on Jan 1, 2033 (50 years after death). But in the US, it goes by publication date and will be PD Jan 1, 2049 (95 years after publication). By that time, copyright laws will have changed. :roll:

We go by US law, since works are stored on a server in the US. But you'd also have to follow the copyright laws where you are residing, so if you're in BC at school, you'd have to also follow Canada's copyright. When you're back in PA you could drop the Canadian part and just worry about US PD.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart