[COMPLETE] The Tenth Clew and Other Continental Op Stories by Dashiell Hammett (1894 - 1961) -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

The Tenth Clew and Other Continental Op Stories by Dashiell Hammett .

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/the-tenth-clew-and-other-continental-op-stories-by-dashiell-hammett/

Volunteers outside the USA: Author name died in 1961. The author's work is still protected by copyright in places like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1955).

Biographer Nathan Ward has called “The Tenth Clew” Dashiell Hammett’s “first real jewel of a story.” In it, Hammett’s nameless Continental Detective Agency operative survives being knocked unconscious and dumped in San Francisco Bay. This kind of action was what his Black Mask magazine editors and readers were asking for, and Hammett somewhat grudgingly obliged them with continuing stories of the Continental Op. (Winston Tharp)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/thetenthclewandeightothercontinentalopstories/page/n1
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Short Stories; Crime & Mystery Fiction/Detective Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: Detective, Mystery, San Francisco, hard-boiled, noir

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of The Tenth Clew and Other Continental Op Stories. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Tenth Clew and Other Continental Op Stories, by Dashiell Hammett. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of The Tenth Clew and Other Continental Op Stories by Dashiell Hammett. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Tenth Clew and Other Continental Op Stories, by Dashiell Hammett. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename tenthclew_##_hammett_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. tenthclew_01_hammett_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Dashiell Hammett
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: The Tenth Clew and Other Continental Op Stories

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by k5hsj on January 20th, 2020, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Winston,

I'll MC for you. MW will be available shortly.

Jo
Jo
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Thanks, Jo. I'll have to put on my trench coat and start walking those mean streets again (cue the fog). :D
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Don't forget your fedora and dark glasses... 8-)
Jo
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I would love to PL!
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Thanks, Colleen! You've got it. And away we go. :D
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Well, it's taken a while, Colleen, but here's Section 1. Pardon me while I shake the water out of my ears...that San Francisco Bay can be cold this time of year! :D
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Great! Looking forward to it!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Section 1 PL OK! Good story!
Colleen McMahon

k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Thanks, Colleen. I'm working on the second section, but RL has been more than usually getting in the way! I may finish this project by the end of the year (I hope). :)
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

k5hsj wrote: April 12th, 2020, 10:50 pm Thanks, Colleen. I'm working on the second section, but RL has been more than usually getting in the way! I may finish this project by the end of the year (I hope). :)
No worries. This is a crazy time. Looking forward to more!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Section 2 is up, Colleen. Shorter than the last one. Hope you enjoy it!

Winston
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Looking forward to it! Can't do any of my own recording today because wife is working on machinery in the yard and housemate is cleaning house downstairs so looks like it's gonna be prooflistening day, good timing!

And don't worry about going slow. I'm working on a NINETY part solo project (what was I thinking) and after a year and 3 months, I just uploaded section 17. Though I do want to make a push on it while we are isolating....it's for fun, and it will be done when it gets done!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Hi! Sorry I forgot this was in the PL queue, hope I didn’t hold you up, ready for a new story whenever you get a chance! This one is PL OK!
Colleen McMahon

k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

No problem, Colleen. I'm dragging my feet on this one. May end up breaking it up into more than one solo, because three of the remaining stories are novella length! :shock:

Winston