Audacity Waveform (dB)

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Before the recent Audacity update, I would switch to Waveform (dB) (in the panel to the left of the sonogram) to spot noise which didn't show in the normal display. The new version of Audacity doesn't show a button for Waveform (dB) in the panel.

I looked on the Audacity forum. Someone had mentioned the missing button, and one of the replies in the thread mentioned that you can now see the dB display by right-clicking in the -1.0 to +1.0 strip in the panel at the left.

Peter
Last edited by Peter Why on May 31st, 2020, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I'm reluctant to update. Bit nervous with change. Are you having any trouble with the upgrade other than this issue?
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

No, no other major problems. The new installation forgot some of my setup choices (I had to delete an extra toolbar, and uninstalled a lot of plug-ins that I don't use). However, I don't use any external plug-ins; a couple of others here have reported that the new version can't handle the Nyquist plug-ins (you can see their comments in the Audacity Help Wanted thread).

Peter
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Thank you, Peter.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I've just bumped into another minor problem apparently caused by the Audacity upgrade. The next mp3 I exported was saved at a much higher quality than it used to be saved at. The file was about twice as big as it should have been (for the same length in minutes).

So make sure that Audacity saves files at 128kbps, constant.

Peter