COMPLETE: [SOLO] Maud, and Other Poems by Alfred Tennyson - lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Maud, and Other Poems by Alfred Tennyson (1809 - 1892).
All audio file can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/maud-and-other-poems-by-alfred-tennyson/
Surely everyone knows “Maud”? Isn’t that the Victorian love song, where the man waits by the garden gate for his lover to appear for a secret rendezvous? Well, that may be the song, but Tennyson’s poem is longer and very much darker. It deals not with love but with the obsession of an unstable young man with the seventeen-year-old Maud, and his gradual descent into madness.

The poem’s narrator has been excluded from an evening ball being held at Maud’s home, The Hall, and has climbed into her garden uninvited, convincing himself by a misreading the Language of Flowers that she has sent him a love-token in the form of a rose blossom. After the guests have left, Maud and her brother step out into the dawn, and soon the brother is lying mortally wounded at the narrator’s hand. He flees abroad, and later loses his reason after hearing of Maud’s own death. Finally, the narrator insists that he has at last recovered from his “old hysterical mock-disease” and has awakened to a better mind, fighting for his country in the Crimean War. But can he be believed? Many early reviewers took the narrator as stating the poet's own views on war, but Tennyson himself responded that he would hardly have chosen a narrator with an "hereditary vein of insanity" to represent his personal opinions.

The collection includes several other well-known Tennyson poems, including “The Brook, an Idyl”, and “The Charge of the Light Brigade”. (Michael Maggs)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/56913
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Project Code: SCyk4PJI
      ============================================

Genres for the project: Poetry/Single author

Keywords that describe the book:
      Brook
      Charge
      Light Brigade
      Wellington
      Will
      Letters
      Daisy
      Maurice

============================================
    • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      START of recording (Intro):
      • "[Poem title] from Maud, and Other Poems. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
        "Recording by Michael Maggs
      • Say:
        "Maud, and Other Poems, by Alfred Tennyson. [Poem title]"

For the second and all subsequent sections:
      • "[Poem title] from Maud, and Other Poems by Alfred Tennyson. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
      • "Recording by Michael Maggs"
      • "[Poem title]"
      END of recording:
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Poem title]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Maud, and Other Poems, by Alfred Tennyson. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
    • Example filename maudandotherpoems_##_tennyson_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. maudandotherpoems_01_tennyson_128kb.mp3)
    • Example ID3 V2 tags - Ignore ID tags. These will be automatically added during the catalog process.
      Artist: Alfred Tennyson
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: Maud, and Other Poems

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
      Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: linny
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by MichaelMaggs on June 15th, 2020, 6:23 am, edited 7 times in total.
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

I recently asked about reading selections from this, but have now decided to read all of it.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Mark me down as DPL if you can trust me to get the job done in a reasonable time period.
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Fantastic. Thanks very much (again).
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Just to let you know that this was just recently done by a trio of readers:

https://librivox.org/maud-and-other-poems-by-alfred-lord-tennyson/

Your a perfectly free to offer your own solo of this, of course.
~ Larry
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Yes I did see that. Thanks for letting me know, though.
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Michael,
I can MC this for you. I'll be back in a moment with your MW.
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Many thanks!
linny

Post by linny »

Let me know if you have any problems getting into the MW. I see you have already completed a solo. Once I know you are in, I'll move you over to Going Solo. Enjoy! :D
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Thanks. All ready!
linny

Post by linny »

...and we're there! Enjoy the project. Let me know anytime before cataloging about the description and any key words you want to add.
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Poems 4, 5 and 7-9 ready for PL!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

MichaelMaggs wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 7:41 am Poems 4, 5 and 7-9 ready for PL!
Really well done!

All PL OK!
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

No 3, "The Brook; an Idyl" is ready for PL
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

No 5, "Ode on the Death of the Duke of Wellington" is also ready