Atlantida by Pierre Benoit

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I was drawn by the title of this work, then looking it up the plot got weirder. That's science fiction for you! :lol:

link to gutenberg ebook: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14301

Plot summary by wikipedia:
It is 1896 in the French Algerian Sahara. Two officers, André de Saint-Avit and Jean Morhange investigate the disappearance of their fellow officers. While doing so, they are drugged and kidnapped by a Tarqui warrior, the procurer for the monstrous Queen Antinea. Antinea, descendant of the rulers of Atlantis, has a cave wall with 120 niches carved into it, one for each of her lovers. Only 53 have been filled; when all 120 have been filled, Antinea will sit atop a throne in the center of the cave and rest forever. Saint-Avit is unable to resist Antinea's charms. By her will, he murders the asexual Morhange. Ultimately, he is able to escape and get out of the desert alive.
And it won the Grand Prize of the French Academy in 1919!

for more info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantida_(novel)
cat23x3ar

Post by cat23x3ar »

:shock: woah that looks like a good one. I would be interested in doing my first dpl on this. I'm new, but I think I am all set up for it. Been going through the intro resources to get acclimated. In any event will certainly give this a read!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Don't get your heart set on PLing it just yet. Someone needs to decide to read it first! :wink: If you're looking to PL something, there are a few good ways to find something that needs your help.
  1. Check the Listeners and Editors Wanted forum. This is where people will post a need for proof listening if the project is in process or completed, but still hasn't found a DPL.
  2. Check the New Projects Launch Pad. This is the best way to get in on a project from the get-go. Books that have a tilde (~) in front of them are looking for a DPL.
  3. Check the PL Status Table. This list is manually updated once a week or so, so it won't be up-to-the-minute. But this will show you all current projects that do not have a DPL assigned.
beehiveboy

Post by beehiveboy »

Wow! This seems like a very interesting novel and I would love to do the audio for it if it’s still available. I am new to Librivox and an avid reader and was looking for a project to get started. This seems like a lot of fun after looking through it a bit. How should I go about claiming this and starting work on it?
cat23x3ar

Post by cat23x3ar »

Got it, thanks for the clarification! It was my understanding that we could volunteer to dpl at anytime in the process, but that means once a project is started, I'm assuming. :thumbs: @beehiveboy if you decide to undertake the reading, I'll be looking out for it. This book is quite riveting already
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

cat23x3ar wrote: May 31st, 2020, 10:20 am Got it, thanks for the clarification! It was my understanding that we could volunteer to dpl at anytime in the process, but that means once a project is started, I'm assuming. :thumbs: @beehiveboy if you decide to undertake the reading, I'll be looking out for it. This book is quite riveting already
Yes, absolutely! The Book Suggestions forum can be thought of as a kind of pre-process. Some of the books that have been suggested here are picked up and started right away. Some have waited for ten years, and then are picked up. Others have been waiting longer than that. There's really no way to tell which books will hook in the right person when!

EDIT: And of course, many books never even make it to Book Suggestions, because the person who found it decided right away to launch it themselves, so they didn't need to suggest it first.