COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 075 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks for the information about the Hudson Tunnel - risky business for the workers :(

A few errors noted:

3:35 The plates were of quarter inch iron, 2 ½ feet in width and 3 ½ feet in length – you said 2 and 3

5:18 a timber caisson 48 by 29 ½ feet - you said 29 feet

At the end say – end of … you didn’t say end of

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
Wick45

Post by Wick45 »

Hello soupy,

Thank you for bringing those errors to my attention. I saved the text as a word document and then checked the entire chapter for flaws. I did not realize that numbers contained an additional one half because in both instances, the one half made it through as an exclamation mark and I deleted them thinking that they were simply an artifact of saving as a word document. Thank you for catching those details. Here is the corrected file.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf075_subwaysofnewyork_gilbert_ces_128kb.mp3

Regards,

Chad Sawyer
“Money doesn’t make me happy, but it sure improves my mood.”
soupy

Post by soupy »

Hi Chad :D

Strange things happen when text is converted from books to Word.

Your corrections were very well made and the reading is PLOK :thumbs:

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Wick45

Post by Wick45 »

I would like to read the entirety of chapter XLI which attempts to describe the various types of domestic servant and the services performed by the domestic in minute detail. This book was indispensable to the upper class of English society and especially indispensable to the matrons of wealthy households in England.

Title: The Book of Household Management, chapter XLI, pp. 587 – pp. 621
Author: Mrs. Beeton
URL: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/10136
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Wick45 wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 6:28 pm I would like to read the entirety of chapter XLI which attempts to describe the various types of domestic servant and the services performed by the domestic in minute detail. This book was indispensable to the upper class of English society and especially indispensable to the matrons of wealthy households in England.

Hi Chad, A selection from Mrs. Beeton would be fine for the SNF. I think, however, that Chapter LXI in it's entirety would be too long to read all at once. The chapter is about 36,000 words. It would be a good idea for you to figure out how many words you generally read per minute. You could do this by taking the word count of your reading on the Hudson tunnel, divided by how long it took you to read it. Once you have that figure in mind, you can always gauge how long it would take you to read something you are considering. In my case, I read slowly, so I use 140 wpm as my gauge, and by my calculations, it would take me over 4 hours to read Chapter LXI of Mrs. Beeton. If I were attempting Mrs. Beeton, I would break the chapter LXI into chunks of 20 or 30 minutes...

So, why not start with a section of the chapter? Sometimes, I find it's easier to envision the length of a text by looking at (a copy of) the original book in archive.org (or similar) than it is by looking at the flow of text in Gutenberg. Here is a link to an original of Mrs. Beeton on archive.org:
https://archive.org/details/b20392758/page/n7/mode/1up. The chapter is 44 pages long, small print...
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

ColleenMc wrote: May 24th, 2020, 7:11 am Here's one:

The Pleasures of Friendship by Samuel Johnson

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf075_pleasuresoffriendship_johnson_cm_128kb.mp3

05:40

Source: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/57837/57837-h/57837-h.htm

Colleen
Hi Colleen, Thanks for this (somewhat acerbic) look at friendship, and what can go wrong with it! :) Johnson's list of things that can end friendship is probably "right on." I particularly enjoyed the bit about differences of opinion about what to do on vacation: "Lonelove and Ranger retired into the country to enjoy the company of each other, and returned in six weeks cold and petulant; Ranger’s pleasure was to walk in the fields, and Lonelove’s to sit in a bower; each had complied with the other in his turn, and each was angry that compliance had been exacted."

By the way, congratulations on your first BCing project! :clap: We'll give you a plug here: Chateau and Coutry Life in France by Mary King Waddington, BC'd by Colleen! viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79386

Why not put an "ad" for your project in your signature?
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Colleen :D

Friendship is PLOK :thumbs:

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Thanks Sue! Yes Johnson's list of "Pleasures" is more a list of pitfalls!

I have been planning to put an ad for my BC project in my sig, just haven't gotten around to it yet, it's a great idea!
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Just a quick heads-up: I have recorded the corrections, but will need a couple more days for the edit. Thanks for your patience! :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks for letting us know Availle :D

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Wick45

Post by Wick45 »

Sue Anderson wrote: May 24th, 2020, 5:30 am
Wick45 wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 6:28 pm I would like to read the entirety of chapter XLI which attempts to describe the various types of domestic servant and the services performed by the domestic in minute detail. This book was indispensable to the upper class of English society and especially indispensable to the matrons of wealthy households in England.

Hi Chad, A selection from Mrs. Beeton would be fine for the SNF. I think, however, that Chapter LXI in it's entirety would be too long to read all at once. The chapter is about 36,000 words. It would be a good idea for you to figure out how many words you generally read per minute. You could do this by taking the word count of your reading on the Hudson tunnel, divided by how long it took you to read it. Once you have that figure in mind, you can always gauge how long it would take you to read something you are considering. In my case, I read slowly, so I use 140 wpm as my gauge, and by my calculations, it would take me over 4 hours to read Chapter LXI of Mrs. Beeton. If I were attempting Mrs. Beeton, I would break the chapter LXI into chunks of 20 or 30 minutes...

So, why not start with a section of the chapter? Sometimes, I find it's easier to envision the length of a text by looking at (a copy of) the original book in archive.org (or similar) than it is by looking at the flow of text in Gutenberg. Here is a link to an original of Mrs. Beeton on archive.org:
https://archive.org/details/b20392758/page/n7/mode/1up. The chapter is 44 pages long, small print...
Hello Sue,
Thank you for the candid and super instructive response! After taking your advice and checking my words per minute, I found that I was reading about 190 WPM. Using 190 WPM as my baseline, I would not stand a chance of finishing Chapter LXI of Mrs. Beeton much sooner than you would. I would likely have multiple errors and I would certainly have a file that was way to long. If smaller 20 to 30 minute blocks of Chapter LXI are acceptable, I would still enjoy reading what I could of it.

Regards,
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Wick45 wrote: May 27th, 2020, 6:33 pm

Hello Sue,
Thank you for the candid and super instructive response! After taking your advice and checking my words per minute, I found that I was reading about 190 WPM. Using 190 WPM as my baseline, I would not stand a chance of finishing Chapter LXI of Mrs. Beeton much sooner than you would. I would likely have multiple errors and I would certainly have a file that was way to long. If smaller 20 to 30 minute blocks of Chapter LXI are acceptable, I would still enjoy reading what I could of it.

Regards,
Hi, A shorter selection from Mrs. Beeton would be a great addition to the SNF! :D
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Sue Anderson wrote: May 18th, 2020, 8:54 am Hi Availle, thanks for this! :) Actually, I like it! I'm going to paste a copy next to my computer, and next time a web site asks me to "please change my password," I'm going to consult the table! :mrgreen:
soupy wrote: May 18th, 2020, 8:02 am Thanks Availle :thumbs:

Not boring - but now I know why Kierkegaard wrote his earlier books while in science class :D

two errors if you want to fix them

4:48 126 seconds you said 122 seconds

8:59 it looks like 47,327 – you said 727

Craig
Thank you ladies and gents for that ... vote of confidence (?) in my choices... :?

File fixed and reuploaded.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf075_velocities_jackson_ava_128kb.mp3
:D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thank you ladies and gents for that ... vote of confidence (?) in my choices...
I like all your choices Availle :D

PLOK :thumbs:

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge