COMPLETE - [SOLO] Planet of the Damned by Harry Harrison - lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Planet of the Damned by Harry Harrison (1925 - 2012).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/planet-of-the-damned-version-3-by-harry-harrison/

sjmarky is now the BC and reader for this project.
Two planets are about to engage in a nuclear war that will destroy one of them. Millions will perish. Brion Brandd, who lives on neither planet, has been recruited by the Cultural Relationships Foundation to stop the war from happening. He is only person in the galaxy who can do it, but can he? A classic 1962 science fiction short novel by master Harry Harrison. (Summary by M. Nelson)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/21873
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Project Code: LJFK5ulW
      ============================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: novel, science fiction, harry harrison, 1962, hugo award

============================================
    • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      START of recording (Intro):
      • "Chapter [number] of Planet of the Damned. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Planet of the Damned, by Harry Harrison. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
      • "Chapter [number] of Planet of the Damned by Harry Harrison. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
      • If you wish, say:
      • Only if applicable, say:
        "[Chapter title]"
      END of recording:
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter]"
      • If you wish, say:
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Planet of the Damned, by Harry Harrison. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
    • Example filename planetofthedamned_##_harrison_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. planetofthedamned_01_harrison_128kb.mp3)
    • Example ID3 V2 tags - Ignore tags - they are generated during cataloging.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
      Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: linny - linny
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by sjmarky on October 4th, 2020, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'm full up on MC projects, so I won't be doing this one. (And it's not PD for me in Canada.)

There are two versions of this in the catalog. Is that OK with you? Some readers prefer to record works that haven't been done yet. You're perfectly welcome to do Version 3 if you want; I just wanted to be sure you're aware of it. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
tomgetsworse

Post by tomgetsworse »

Hi thanks for the heads up. Yeah I had a look. I just really want to have a go at this one for the experience.
julianpratley

Post by julianpratley »

Hi Tom, I’d be happy to DPL for you :D
“It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”
― Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent
tomgetsworse

Post by tomgetsworse »

julianpratley wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 4:00 pm Hi Tom, I’d be happy to DPL for you :D
Hi. That would be great, thanks 😊
linny

Post by linny »

I can MC this for you. I'll be back soon.
linny

Post by linny »

OK, Tom. You are all set up.

Since this is your first solo you need to know you are also the BC for the project. That means you will be putting your file links into the MW, adding the file length to the notes column, adding titles, and changing the drop down selection in the workflow; e.g. from Assigned to Ready for PL.

The MW requires a separate password than your LV log in password. Here are the instructions.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ
Also in the wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/BC%27s:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window.

Please update a section title so I know you have access. Let me know if you run into trouble.
tomgetsworse

Post by tomgetsworse »

linny wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 7:46 am OK, Tom. You are all set up.

Since this is your first solo you need to know you are also the BC for the project. That means you will be putting your file links into the MW, adding the file length to the notes column, adding titles, and changing the drop down selection in the workflow; e.g. from Assigned to Ready for PL.

The MW requires a separate password than your LV log in password. Here are the instructions.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ
Also in the wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/BC%27s:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window.

Please update a section title so I know you have access. Let me know if you run into trouble.
Hi Linny

Ive added section titles. I have some recordings ready to upload and will do so very soon.
linny

Post by linny »

Excellent! Off to going solo we go. :D
tomgetsworse

Post by tomgetsworse »

Four chapters ready for PL
julianpratley

Post by julianpratley »

Chapters 1 and 2 are PL OK. Really enjoying the book so far :D
“It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”
tomgetsworse

Post by tomgetsworse »

julianpratley wrote: May 27th, 2020, 3:44 am Chapters 1 and 2 are PL OK. Really enjoying the book so far :D
Ah brilliant, thank you 😊
julianpratley

Post by julianpratley »

3 is PL OK. So much exposition!
julianpratley

Post by julianpratley »

Decided to read along for these 2 chapters. 5 is PL OK but 4 has a couple of mistakes which change the meaning:
  • at 4:00 should be "was a different matter", not "was a little matter"
  • at 13:55 should be "normally masculine fields", not "normal masculine fields"
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Tom,
How are you coming along? Are you still with us?