[COMPLETE] France and England in North America, Part III: La Salle - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
laurencetrask

Post by laurencetrask »

I have re-uploaded section six, as I found a repeated section. It is slightly shorter now, at 36:10.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/lasalle_06_parkman_128kb.mp3

Laurence
sonofcoltas

Post by sonofcoltas »

linny wrote: May 26th, 2020, 8:03 am
sonofcoltas wrote: May 26th, 2020, 7:50 am Thanks for the positive feedback. I will fix the missing part of the intro, the too long ending silence and upload. I would also like to claim section 16.

- Andrew
Gladly! Thank you for the additional claim.
Corrected upload for part 15 https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/lasalle_15_parkman_128kb.mp3
length 20:20
linny

Post by linny »

sonofcoltas wrote: May 26th, 2020, 6:46 pm
linny wrote: May 26th, 2020, 8:03 am
sonofcoltas wrote: May 26th, 2020, 7:50 am Thanks for the positive feedback. I will fix the missing part of the intro, the too long ending silence and upload. I would also like to claim section 16.

- Andrew
Gladly! Thank you for the additional claim.
Corrected upload for part 15 https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/lasalle_15_parkman_128kb.mp3
length 20:20
Andrew,
Section 15 is spot check PL OK! :thumbs:
Hopeforce1

Post by Hopeforce1 »

linny

Post by linny »

laurencetrask wrote: May 26th, 2020, 4:52 pm I have re-uploaded section six, as I found a repeated section. It is slightly shorter now, at 36:10.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/lasalle_06_parkman_128kb.mp3

Laurence
I love listening to your work. PL OK. :D
linny

Post by linny »

Hello Hope,
Congratulations on completing your section. You did a nice job. The following are notes for some corrections which are needed. Please let me know if you have any questions.

0:27 - Missing part of title - Chapter XXI 1682, 1683 St. Louis of the Illinois

1:10 stumble - La Salle had written his name in history; but his hard-earned success was but the prelude of a harder task

9:00 two second pause mid paragraph. Was this your intent?

9:15 stumble - They gathered round his stronghold like the timorous peasantry of the middle ages around the rock-built castle of their feudal lord.

19:18 stumble/repeat - But, Monsieur, it is in vain that we risk our lives here, and that I exhaust my means in order to fulfil the intentions of his Majesty, if all my measures are crossed in the settlements below, and if those who go down to bring munitions, without which we cannot defend ourselves, are detained under pretexts trumped up for the occasion.

24:21 stumble - The scheme was full of danger to Canada, which the loss of the trade would have ruined. La Barre and his associates were greatly alarmed at it.

26:17 stumble - lived on La Salle's stores, sold for their own profit, and (it is said) that of La Barre, the provisions sent by the King, and turned in the cattle to pasture on the growing crops.

For future recordings:
During your editing process are you using headphones? Please be sure to do so. You will find that you need to work on your mic position. You are picking up a lot of plosives where your breath is coming in contact with the mic. You can either move the mic or get a pop filter.
Hopeforce1

Post by Hopeforce1 »

linny wrote: May 27th, 2020, 7:58 am
Hello Hope,
Congratulations on completing your section. You did a nice job. The following are notes for some corrections which are needed. Please let me know if you have any questions.

0:27 - Missing part of title - Chapter XXI 1682, 1683 St. Louis of the Illinois

1:10 stumble - La Salle had written his name in history; but his hard-earned success was but the prelude of a harder task

9:00 two second pause mid paragraph. Was this your intent?

9:15 stumble - They gathered round his stronghold like the timorous peasantry of the middle ages around the rock-built castle of their feudal lord.

19:18 stumble/repeat - But, Monsieur, it is in vain that we risk our lives here, and that I exhaust my means in order to fulfil the intentions of his Majesty, if all my measures are crossed in the settlements below, and if those who go down to bring munitions, without which we cannot defend ourselves, are detained under pretexts trumped up for the occasion.

24:21 stumble - The scheme was full of danger to Canada, which the loss of the trade would have ruined. La Barre and his associates were greatly alarmed at it.

26:17 stumble - lived on La Salle's stores, sold for their own profit, and (it is said) that of La Barre, the provisions sent by the King, and turned in the cattle to pasture on the growing crops.

For future recordings:
During your editing process are you using headphones? Please be sure to do so. You will find that you need to work on your mic position. You are picking up a lot of plosives where your breath is coming in contact with the mic. You can either move the mic or get a pop filter.
I will check these seven issues asap. Meanwhile, I just ordered my first pop filter ever, I have been thinking of getting one, and I will receive one soon.
linny

Post by linny »

:thumbs:
Hopeforce1

Post by Hopeforce1 »

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/lasalle_21_parkman_128kb.mp3

Now I have looked at the passages and hopefully it will turn out fine now. I use headphones when I edit.
ShaunBlake

Post by ShaunBlake »

linny wrote: May 9th, 2020, 7:40 am
ShaunBlake wrote: May 8th, 2020, 10:20 am <snip>
<snip>
Enjoy! Please let me know if you have any questions along the way.
I'm having trouble finding my way around the site. I found and d/l'd a Java app to check the "finished" recording but it's lost on another computer, and I cannot find a breadcrumb to it on LibriVox. (Much re-arranging & moving to alleviate unwelcome audio 'enhancements' and sound effects added to my recordings have broken up my network and isolated me from some things I didn't think of before my major relocation. <sigh>)

Do you know the applet we are urged to run our MP3 files through before uploading? If so, can you provide a link or teach me how to find such gems?

Finally, is it better to upload my project as one file, or should I break it up? I think the finished chapter will be over 30 minutes, and I really doubt I can squeeze it or legibly say it any faster. Since this is my first effort, I expect to receive some feedback and hope to make the load on the proofreaders less onerous.
As a person wishing to gain knowledge with hard work, augmented by leeching–but humbly leeching–CC is always welcome, by quotes in the forum or PMs.
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

linny

Post by linny »

ShaunBlake wrote: May 27th, 2020, 5:29 pm I'm having trouble finding my way around the site. I found and d/l'd a Java app to check the "finished" recording but it's lost on another computer, and I cannot find a breadcrumb to it on LibriVox. (Much re-arranging & moving to alleviate unwelcome audio 'enhancements' and sound effects added to my recordings have broken up my network and isolated me from some things I didn't think of before my major relocation. <sigh>)

Do you know the applet we are urged to run our MP3 files through before uploading? If so, can you provide a link or teach me how to find such gems?

Finally, is it better to upload my project as one file, or should I break it up? I think the finished chapter will be over 30 minutes, and I really doubt I can squeeze it or legibly say it any faster. Since this is my first effort, I expect to receive some feedback and hope to make the load on the proofreaders less onerous.
It sounds as if you could use our videos: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Instructional_Videos

Here is the video on the Checker program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKVOYsaDoRo&feature=youtu.be

Here is a video on navigating our forums: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK9HAdLF-2k&t=30s

Please upload the file as a single section. 30 minutes is fine. We only have a problem if you reach 74 minutes.
linny

Post by linny »

Hopeforce1 wrote: May 27th, 2020, 9:52 am https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/lasalle_21_parkman_128kb.mp3

Now I have looked at the passages and hopefully it will turn out fine now. I use headphones when I edit.
Great job on the corrections. Spot check PL OK.
linny

Post by linny »

Rita,
Thank you for the perfect section. PL OK! :D
nboman

Post by nboman »

May I claim Chapter XXIX? Nate Oman