[COMPLETE] The Theory and Practice of Brewing by M. Combrune - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

lubee930 wrote: May 24th, 2020, 9:44 am Here is my Section 26:

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/brewing_26_combrune_128kb.mp3
35:17

Lynda and Ava--Please let me know if you feel that there is anything I should change about the tables and calculations. Not so easy to record! :)
Hi there! That was one LONG recording and it was VERY WELL DONE! Of all the tables that I have heard read in this book yours were one of the easiest to follow!

I have two pieces of PL feedback -

5:07 – should be “twenty” you said “thirty .62 inches”

For the next one, in previous tables you read the titles "Excise gauge within the bills" and then "Excise gauge without the bills" (which were read just fine). When it came to the long columns starting at about 26:40 the book has them listed BOTH as "without". Did you intentionally change the 2nd column of "Excise gauge without bills" to "within" when the text indicates "without"? I have noted where all the within's are which is opposite to the book title of without.

Starting at 26:31 – word should be “without” – you said “within” the gauge. Also at 26:52, 27:07, 27:19, 27:31, 27:44, 27:56, 28:09, 28:21, 28:34, 28:46, 28:58, 29:11, 29:23, 29:36, 29:49, 30:01 and 30:14.

Ava - not really sure what to do in this situation - vvocelli has read this Chapter almost perfectly and I do not think having a label read for a column backwards is that big a deal - especially if someone wants to make beer this way they are going to have to get a copy of the book anyways! All these tables are hard to follow along....

I would just fix the one item - the 30 does not make sense mathematically when you listen and skip changing the column titles back.

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

lubee930 wrote: May 24th, 2020, 4:33 pm Hi Lynda--Wonderful PL'ing on difficult text. Thank you! (I think that you are PL'ing my Section 26, not Section 12? Yes?)

O.K., well, here is what happened. I was trying to figure out the tables and calculations from the Gutenberg text, and I was really having difficulty with how it was rendered. So I looked on Internet Archive and found the scanned text with the same 1804 copyright, same title page, same publisher. I thought perhaps I could see the tables and calculations formatted on the scanned page a little more clearly. Just to figure it out. I printed out the chapter and tried to figure it all out.

Bottom line: I recorded the chapter from the archive.org text, not the Gutenberg text. I think it is the identical book.
https://archive.org/stream/theoryandpractic00combiala?ref=ol#page/n3/mode/2up

So--The first error at 5:07 where I say "30.62 inches" is actually "30.62" in the archive.org scanned text (see p. 255) but it is shown as "20.62" in the Gutenberg text. Typo in the Gutenberg text?

The other error with the column headings: Again, the column headings in the archive.org scanned text say "...without the bills" and "...within the bills" (see p. 267), so that is how I read them. And agreed, the Gutenberg text does indeed say "...without the bills" on both columns. But does that make sense? Would they have different values if they were the same heading? Seems like it might be a Gutenberg typo?

All of that being said, I will change every instance back to the Gutenberg text if you want me to do so. I'm sorry. I truly hunted up the scanned copy in hopes that I could see the calculations formatted a little differently so that I could figure out what the heck was going on! :)

Let me know if you would like me to change the recording or leave it as shown in the archive.org scanned text. And, Lynda--thank you so much for your efforts as DPL on this project.
I have corrected the posting of my PL Feedback now.... Thanks for pointing it out!

Let's hang on and see what Ava says - in theory we are all to use the same text (Gutenburg) however maybe as the GB text has some errors she will be fine with what you recorded...

Lynda
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Sounds good, Lynda. Yes, I have chastised readers about using a different text myself. Mea culpa. :oops: But I had the archive.org text already printed out, so I used it. But I will make any/all changes that you or Ava would like--no problem-o (as my grandson would say). Thanks again.
Kind regards,
Lucretia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

The problem with using a different text source is that people might actually read along and then get flustered if things are not "correct".
On the other hand, gutenberg has indeed made mistakes over the years - and they are happy to correct them.

So I would say, let's leave this be, but inform gutenberg about the errors in that part of the text so they can fix this.

Deal?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Availle wrote: May 24th, 2020, 10:05 pm The problem with using a different text source is that people might actually read along and then get flustered if things are not "correct".
On the other hand, gutenberg has indeed made mistakes over the years - and they are happy to correct them.

So I would say, let's leave this be, but inform gutenberg about the errors in that part of the text so they can fix this.

Deal?
Sounds great to me!

Lynda
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

That's fine with me. I've reported some errors to Gutenberg before, so I will report these two errors to them sometime today. Thank you again, Lynda. I know that PL'ing takes lots of time and effort.
Kind regards,
Lucretia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Sounds great, thank you! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

lubee930 wrote: May 25th, 2020, 6:01 am That's fine with me. I've reported some errors to Gutenberg before, so I will report these two errors to them sometime today. Thank you again, Lynda. I know that PL'ing takes lots of time and effort.
I submitted the two errors to PG for consideration, and they've made the corrections already. Speedy! Glad it worked out (and I'll stick with the linked text on future projects). :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Availle wrote: May 25th, 2020, 6:11 am Sounds great, thank you! :D
Section 26 has been marked PL Okay!

Lynda
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I've heard back from Carolin about section 27 - she's got no idea either on how to do the numbers... :(

However, they can't really be left out, so we'll have to do "something". Thankfully, it's just 2000 words-ish (because reading the numbers will make this longer)

Who was ready to try her best with this one?
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Happy to record it if you will PL it for me Ava!

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Lmnei wrote: May 31st, 2020, 10:03 am Happy to record it if you will PL it for me Ava!

Lynda
All done Ava - in the MW for your PL talent!

Should I just do the last section to get this off our plate?

Lynda
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Wow, that was fast, thank you! :shock:

Yeah, let's just finish this! I'll try to PL this as soon as possible.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Ava -

Section 19 is done and in the MW

Lynda
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team