The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
iManar

Post by iManar »

Rapunzelina wrote: April 26th, 2020, 3:09 pm
iManar wrote: April 26th, 2020, 2:13 pmI really wish, I tried all mentioned troubleshooting and none of them worked.
I haven't encountered this problem before. Does it mean that when you try to select a microphone from the tool bar (when you have selected the "Device Toolbar" from menu View - Toolbars) nothing shows up in the drop-down menu for microphones? or that none of the options that show there works?
My microphone is in the list, and I choose it, but still not working.
iManar

Post by iManar »

anneflebari wrote: April 26th, 2020, 11:37 pm This site seems to cover most problems with 9999 error, it does look as if it's a pretty common one:) https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001194.htm Good luck! Anne
Thank you Anne, I tried the solutions on this website, same error.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

iManar wrote: April 25th, 2020, 11:41 am I'm on my laptop and I'm using the built-in microphone, should I get an external microphone?
Because the problem is still persistent.
Hi Manar,

Sorry to see that you've run into a difficult technical problem. I can't offer any more troubleshooting advice than you've already received here, but on the question of external microphones, yes, I believe that it's standard practice around here to use one. I'm getting much better sound quality with an inexpensive USB mic than with the one that comes with my laptop, in part because of positioning. I'm not sure if you've tried re-installing your sound card yet, but if Audacity is also having problems with an external mic, I would definitely try that.

Michael
Apsie15

Post by Apsie15 »

What if I only have a smart phone to do my recording? Can I still possibly help?
WeAreTheChange
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Apsie15 wrote: May 1st, 2020, 8:18 am What if I only have a smart phone to do my recording? Can I still possibly help?
(1) you can still proof listen. :)

(2) if you want to record, then the answer is "maybe." See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=79541 and add any questions there, as this thread is about the specific recording program, Audacity. ;)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Apsie15

Post by Apsie15 »

Thank u very much!
WeAreTheChange
Trax

Post by Trax »

Audacity does not work with Mac Catalina: the 32-bit, 64-bit problem. Is there any other software I can use? Phil mentioned some others exist.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Trax wrote: May 12th, 2020, 11:55 am Audacity does not work with Mac Catalina: the 32-bit, 64-bit problem. Is there any other software I can use? Phil mentioned some others exist.
Some have had success using this workaround: https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=107162&p=378694

Otherwise, I guess WavePad is a good alternative. Don't use GarageBand.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Trax

Post by Trax »

Thanks, TriciaG for helping :)
TriciaG wrote: May 12th, 2020, 12:01 pm
Trax wrote: May 12th, 2020, 11:55 am Audacity does not work with Mac Catalina: the 32-bit, 64-bit problem. Is there any other software I can use? Phil mentioned some others exist.
Some have had success using this workaround: https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=107162&p=378694

Otherwise, I guess WavePad is a good alternative. Don't use GarageBand.
JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz »

I had a few (what I think are basic) Audacity questions that I can't seem to find answers to. Any information on any one of these points would be welcome! I'm still new to Audacity and am not as technically savvy as some of my other colleagues in this noble endeavour appear to be, so part of my problem may be that I'm just not using the correct terminology to query on these issues. So far, I've found myself wading through Youtube videos that aren't helping very much.:

1.) Is there a feature that you can apply to the entire recording when you're completed which will level out the sound volume across the board, so that the quiet sections aren't too quiet and the loud sections aren't too loud? I'm finding that when I do a clip fix, it requires me to then reimpose an amplification to that same section or else it's too quiet with respect to the surrounding audio. It's making the editing process longer than I think it should be.

2.) Is there a way to have a map of the entire cut as a separate strip or view on the bottom of the application, so that you can click midway in that strip and have the entire view reset accordingly?

3.) Is there a setting in Audacity, so that you can click into a section of the recording and the audio will actually play where you click? At this time, I keep having to stop the recording as it's playing back and then click to where I want to listen and hit play again. It seem like there should be a way to just click and have it automatically play from that point.

4.) Is there a feature like a clipboard where you can just save the boilerplate introductory opening and closing recordings and plop them in like an "insert picture" feature in Word? At this time, I'm having to go into previous recordings copy sections of that recording and paste them into a new project.

Daniel
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Daniel -

I can't answer all your questions , but a solution to the first is /effects/compressor in Audacity. It will flatten the peaks while not reducing the lows. You likely will need to amplify the recording again to be at about 89 dB.

More info here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Dynamic_Range_Compression
and here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ3lOTDsN6c
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
loon

Post by loon »

JachinandBoaz wrote: May 24th, 2020, 7:14 pm 4.) Is there a feature like a clipboard where you can just save the boilerplate introductory opening and closing recordings and plop them in like an "insert picture" feature in Word? At this time, I'm having to go into previous recordings copy sections of that recording and paste them into a new project.
If you want to do that you could save the opening or closing audio as a separate file. Then from Audacity do a File >> Import >> Audio.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz »

loon wrote: May 24th, 2020, 7:50 pm
JachinandBoaz wrote: May 24th, 2020, 7:14 pm 4.) Is there a feature like a clipboard where you can just save the boilerplate introductory opening and closing recordings and plop them in like an "insert picture" feature in Word? At this time, I'm having to go into previous recordings copy sections of that recording and paste them into a new project.
If you want to do that you could save the opening or closing audio as a separate file. Then from Audacity do a File >> Import >> Audio.
Awesome! Thank you, Loon!!! :thumbs:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

JachinandBoaz wrote: May 24th, 2020, 8:13 pm
loon wrote: May 24th, 2020, 7:50 pm
Awesome! Thank you, Loon!!! :thumbs:
I would just advise using caution with this, because something pasted in from a boiler plate file will often ... well, sound like something pasted in. For instance, I prefer to read the intros, etc., fresh for each recording so that it matches the rest of the recording and sounds natural. There can be a lot of variation from session to session, at least that is true for me. Anyway, do what works best for you.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You would also need to be very careful - the "boiler plate" intro can vary from project to project depending on the project. I'd I've thought it was easier to read it each time - as Larry said your voice varies with time and projects vary in their solemnity. And it does warm your voice up a bit. So unless you were planning to read a complete book in one sitting it would seem to me more trouble than it is worth.

Anne