[COMPLETE] The Theory and Practice of Brewing by M. Combrune - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Can I claim Section 26 now? I think that I've gotten the tables figured out a little. :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

It's all yours, thank you so much! :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
vvocelli

Post by vvocelli »

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

That was fast, thank you so much!

Can I interest you in any of the other open sections? :wink:
Just let me know!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
vvocelli

Post by vvocelli »

Availle wrote: May 19th, 2020, 3:38 pm That was fast, thank you so much!

Can I interest you in any of the other open sections? :wink:
Just let me know!
I MIGHT be interested in Section 27 - "Of the Proportion of cold Water to be added..."

Can you PM me to let me know how to best read the charts and I'll let you know if I will claim.

Thank you! :D
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I've looked at this, and I have to confess: I have no clue how to read this. :shock:
It seems, however, that these lines are kind of integral to the text, so it's not easy to take them out either... :hmm:

I'll ask the original BC of this, she should have some sort of an idea.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Hi Ava--

I should have my Section 26 ready to upload tomorrow. And I found the tables puzzling in my section as well. I studied them at length, because it wasn't easily apparent to me what the author was doing. It took me awhile to figure it out. I finally discovered that the author shows a lot of the detail for his calculations--for instance, in my section, he even shows the long division that he goes through to arrive at his numbers (and the multiplication).

I did not read verbatim all of the long division as I felt it would be confusing. I did read all of the results of the calculations as they are shown in the text. So maybe that is what the author is doing at some places in Section 27 as well.

Anyway, I don't know if what I discovered is useful. I really had to figure it out before I could decide how to record it. Hope this helps a bit.
Kind regards,
Lucretia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thank you! :D

Yes some of the parts seem similar indeed. And the first time around, he does mention what happens - a little bit at least. It is a bit of a chore to go back-and-forth though. I'll leave this to Carolin, who will hopefully chime into this old project of hers.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Ava -

Do you want me to record Section 27?

I have DPL'd enough of these recordings so recording this section so that they all sound similar would be easy for me.

You would have to PL my work though... :)

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

vvocelli wrote: May 19th, 2020, 3:34 pm Ready for PL:

Section 12 - 25:48 https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/brewing_12_combrune_128kb.mp3
Great recording! it is PL Okay!

Lynda
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Here is my Section 26:

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/brewing_26_combrune_128kb.mp3
35:17

Lynda and Ava--Please let me know if you feel that there is anything I should change about the tables and calculations. Not so easy to record! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thank you!

Yes, no easy read, no wonder this thing takes eternity and a day. :roll:

I've sent a pm to Carolin about this. She isn't online regularly anymore, so I'm happy to wait for a week or so to hear her "official" opinion on this one. If we don't hear from her, I'l definitely take you on as a reader Lynda. :mrgreen:

I want this off my plate, finally, really. :twisted:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Availle wrote: May 24th, 2020, 2:16 pm Thank you!

Yes, no easy read, no wonder this thing takes eternity and a day. :roll:

I've sent a pm to Carolin about this. She isn't online regularly anymore, so I'm happy to wait for a week or so to hear her "official" opinion on this one. If we don't hear from her, I'l definitely take you on as a reader Lynda. :mrgreen:

I want this off my plate, finally, really. :twisted:
So do I as the DPL!

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

vvocelli wrote: May 19th, 2020, 3:34 pm Ready for PL:

Section 12 - 25:48 https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/brewing_12_combrune_128kb.mp3
Posted to wrong thread...
Last edited by Lmnei on May 24th, 2020, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Hi Lynda--Wonderful PL'ing on difficult text. Thank you! (I think that you are PL'ing my Section 26, not Section 12? Yes?)

O.K., well, here is what happened. I was trying to figure out the tables and calculations from the Gutenberg text, and I was really having difficulty with how it was rendered. So I looked on Internet Archive and found the scanned text with the same 1804 copyright, same title page, same publisher. I thought perhaps I could see the tables and calculations formatted on the scanned page a little more clearly. Just to figure it out. I printed out the chapter and tried to figure it all out.

Bottom line: I recorded the chapter from the archive.org text, not the Gutenberg text. I think it is the identical book.
https://archive.org/stream/theoryandpractic00combiala?ref=ol#page/n3/mode/2up

So--The first error at 5:07 where I say "30.62 inches" is actually "30.62" in the archive.org scanned text (see p. 255) but it is shown as "20.62" in the Gutenberg text. Typo in the Gutenberg text?

The other error with the column headings: Again, the column headings in the archive.org scanned text say "...without the bills" and "...within the bills" (see p. 267), so that is how I read them. And agreed, the Gutenberg text does indeed say "...without the bills" on both columns. But does that make sense? Would they have different values if they were the same heading? Seems like it might be a Gutenberg typo?

All of that being said, I will change every instance back to the Gutenberg text if you want me to do so. I'm sorry. I truly hunted up the scanned copy in hopes that I could see the calculations formatted a little differently so that I could figure out what the heck was going on! :)

Let me know if you would like me to change the recording or leave it as shown in the archive.org scanned text. And, Lynda--thank you so much for your efforts as DPL on this project.
Kind regards,
Lucretia