A Book Suggestion [Two Horatio Alger books]

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
SopB

Post by SopB »

I'd like to reccomend a book by Horatio Alger, called Phil the Fiddler. It was published in 1872, I think, so it should be in the public domain. As for the text, here is one:
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/671
there's another one that I really liked by Horatio Alger, called The Young Salesman. It was published in 1896. There is a link to the text :http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/56798
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yes, these are both public domain, and it looks like neither has been recorded yet. It might help to generate some interest if you'd give a little synopsis of the books, or maybe a paragraph or so about what you liked about them.
SopB

Post by SopB »

I'm not sure what it was, but I just remember reading the Young Salesman and really liking it. It's along the old lines of Horatio Alger books: the boy starts out poor, and then gets rich by being good, stuff like that. Phil the Fiddler is the same. I know I definitely have read very many Horatio Alger books, and that name I just remembered.
SopB

Post by SopB »

I would like to suggest "The Young Salesman" by Horatio Alger. I think it's really good.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Do you have a link to an eText ?
SopB

Post by SopB »

Yes but it might be a minute before I can get it...let me see... :hmm:
SopB

Post by SopB »

There are many other Horatio Alger books that are quite good to. For example, Andy Grant's Pluck, Ben's Nugget, Bound to Rise, and so on. I know I really liked Randy of the River. I'm pretty sure all of those have eTexts. Speaking of eTexts, let me find that one before I get too distracted here...
SopB

Post by SopB »

This should be what we're looking for.
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/56798/56798-h/56798-h.htm
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

This is the same book and the same text that you suggested in your original post of this thread. There is really no need to suggest something a second time. I understand that you may be eager to have a favorite book turned into an audiobook, but repeated requests are not quite the thing. Some book suggestions are picked up immediately. Some are picked up months or years later. And there are some suggestions on this forum that are a decade old and have still not been picked up. We don't have any way of knowing how it will turn out with a given book suggestion.

If you're really that eager, you can always read the book yourself. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13513
SopB

Post by SopB »

Sorry! :oops:
What do you mean by "Read the book yourself"?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

No need to apologize. I just wanted you to know that repeating a suggestion doesn't necessarily help its chances.

By "read it yourself," I mean that you could record the whole book yourself as a solo. Here's how: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13513

You have already read a few sections in group projects, which is all the experience that we ask before someone starts a solo recording. If you don't want to take on that commitment, though, then you'll just have to wait until someone else decides to record or coordinate this book. We have no way of predicting when/if that will happen.