COMPLETE [SOLO] The Hundred Best English Poems by Various - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
brucek

Post by brucek »

The Hundred Best English Poems by Various ( - ).
This project is complete and all audio files can be found in the catalogue:
https://librivox.org/the-hundred-best-english-poems-by-various/
This wonderful collection of poems showcases the incredible talent of the some of the greatest poets in the world. These creative masterpieces are truly the best of the best, the crème de la crème, one hundred of the most awe inspiring and magnificent examples of poetic skill - works that will live forever in the annals of great literature.

Embracing the most influential names in poetry we have all come to love, respect and revere, this exceptional compilation has a verse for every occasion, a theme for each day of existence and poetic instances for all of life's varied circumstances.

Whether it's pondering Keats' assertion that "beauty is truth, truth beauty" or sharing Tennyson's anticipation of "crossing the bar", we can all in some way identify with the ideas and thoughts expressed in the works presented here. We can't help but be inspired and also entertained by the words of the superlative writers in this collection as they address the perils and wonders of the human condition.

By enriching the background themes of the life journey in which we find ourselves, these poems form a chorus in the universal music of an existence in which we collectively form the melody.
(Bruce Kachuk)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/hundredbestengli00gowa
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

Genres for the project: Poetry/Anthologies

Keywords that describe the book: sonnets, odes, popular poetry, famous poets, hundred best poems, romantic poems, epic poems, poems of war

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Prefatory Note to The Hundred Best English Poems. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Hundred Best English Poems, by Various. [Prefatory Note]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • [poem title] by [author]. Read for Librivox.org" [/i]
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Poem. This recording is in the public domain"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Hundred Best English Poems, by Various. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename bestenglishpoems_###_various_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ### is the section number (e.g. bestenglishpoems_001_various_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Rapunzelina
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Let see how long it takes us to go 0 to 100 :mrgreen:

Do you mean to make this into a compilation where each poem is linked to the authors in the catalogue by filling in the metadata,
or will you be adding the author name in the section title so the author is still searchable but the sections are not linked to the Author's page in the catalogue?
brucek

Post by brucek »

Rapunzelina wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 8:46 am Let see how long it takes us to go 0 to 100 :mrgreen:

Do you mean to make this into a compilation where each poem is linked to the authors in the catalogue by filling in the metadata,
or will you be adding the author name in the section title so the author is still searchable but the sections are not linked to the Author's page in the catalogue?
I'll set my tape recorder at 15ips. :)

Thanks so much for setting us up.

Yes, I would very much like each poem to be linked to the author's name in the catalogue. How would one go about that?

Thanks,
Bruce.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

In a compilation with different authors (and/or different sources), the metadata are also filled in. That is done via the little magnifying-glass icon under the "Meta" column in the Magic Window, for each section. By clicking on it a table appears above the Magic Window, where you fill in Author, text Source and Language. Here's a guide from the wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window#Special_Instructions_for_Collections_.E2.80.93_Entering_Section_Metadata

When the time comes to try it out, let me know if something is unclear or you have questions. I think the author input is the most tricky. By starting to type something, a drop-down list appears so you have to be quick to type as much as you can before that, so that the list contains less options! (when you try it, you'll understand what I mean!). Copy-pasting the author's last name via the keyboard shortcut (like ctrl+C in Windows) should work, but not copy-pasting via the mouse, for some reason (though it will work if you involve the keyboard after pasting, like deleting the last letter with the back space key).
brucek

Post by brucek »

Rapunzelina wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 10:17 am In a compilation with different authors (and/or different sources), the metadata are also filled in. That is done via the little magnifying-glass icon under the "Meta" column in the Magic Window, for each section. By clicking on it a table appears above the Magic Window, where you fill in Author, text Source and Language.
Thanks for the metadata info, Rapunzelina, great idea. :)

Just one thing. The editor of this anthology, Adam L. Gowans who writes the 'Prefatory Note' (000), is not yet in the metadata drop-down list. The other writers should all be there.

Thanks,
Bruce.
Last edited by brucek on May 22nd, 2020, 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brucek

Post by brucek »

Rapunzelina wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 10:17 am In a compilation with different authors (and/or different sources), the metadata are also filled in. That is done via the little magnifying-glass icon under the "Meta" column in the Magic Window, for each section. By clicking on it a table appears above the Magic Window, where you fill in Author, text Source and Language.
Oh, I do have another quick question, Rapunzelina. The editor sometimes inserts addenda such as source and date at the end of poems, for example "1609 Edition" (after poem 1) or "Henderson and Henley's Text" (after poem 15), etc.

These references seem to break the continuity and I feel inclined to omit them, do you agree?

Thanks for your advice.
Bruce.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

It's ok if you want to omit those; they look like footnotes, and footnotes are optional.

I'll let you know when I've added the editor in the database!

I've moved us to Going Solo. I hope Sara will find us here!
brucek

Post by brucek »

Rapunzelina wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 4:03 am It's ok if you want to omit those; they look like footnotes, and footnotes are optional.

I'll let you know when I've added the editor in the database!

I've moved us to Going Solo. I hope Sara will find us here!
Thanks so much, Rapunzelina, all the other authors were found perfectly.

There's a big reel of tape on the old Revox and we're rolling . . . :)

~~~~~
Bruce.
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Rapunzelina wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 4:03 am I've moved us to Going Solo. I hope Sara will find us here!

And here I am! Thanks for letting me join you again. :9:
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
brucek

Post by brucek »

SaraHale wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 11:24 am And here I am! Thanks for letting me join you again. :9:
Welcome Sarah. Good to have you here. :)

~~~~~
Bruce.
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

brucek wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 5:32 pm Welcome Sarah. Good to have you here. :)

~~~~~
Bruce.
Thanks! :9:
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

brucek wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 7:47 pm

Just one thing. The editor of this anthology, Adam L. Gowans who writes the 'Prefatory Note' (000), is not yet in the metadata drop-down list. The other writers should all be there.

Thanks,
Bruce.
I have just added Mr Gowans to our database!
brucek

Post by brucek »

Rapunzelina wrote: May 26th, 2020, 2:13 am
I have just added Mr Gowans to our database!
Thanks, Rapunzelina. I've updated the meta data.

~~~~~
Bruce.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I've checked the metadata and it all looks good! I thought you'd like to know. Filling in metadata for 100 sections is a gigantic endeavour and you succeeded! :thumbs:
brucek

Post by brucek »

Rapunzelina wrote: May 26th, 2020, 2:55 pm I've checked the metadata and it all looks good! I thought you'd like to know. Filling in metadata for 100 sections is a gigantic endeavour and you succeeded! :thumbs:
Thanks. I'm impressed with the scope and range of LV's author database.

~~~~~
Bruce.