[COMPLETE] English and Cantonese Dictionary, by John Chalmers - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Hi Guys,

This is an amazing addition to the catalogue :clap:

Just wanted to note that if you look under 'Cantonese Chinese' on the language tab in the catalogue, this one is not showing up, so I don't know if that is due to how the recording language was classified. I think this is our first solo in Cantonese?

Phil
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Since it is both English and Cantonese (as dictionaries tend to be), this is classified as "multilingual". There is no way to indicate (at the moment) which of the many languages in our catalog it contains exactly, sadly...
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
DavidReader

Post by DavidReader »

Thanks for Phil for raising up this question. I also think that this work is more appropriate to be placed under 'Cantonese Chinese'.
If I imagine myself to be someone who wants to search for anything bilingual related to Cantonese in the Librivox catalog, the most natural tendency is to look for 'Cantonese' under the 'Language' catalog. It is because the most unique feature of this recording is its 'Cantonese' element. Though this is a bilingual text, and to put it under 'multilingual' is the most technically correct classification, this may not be a most user-friendly choice. Of course, if it does not break any ironclad rule in Librivox, I would be glad to have it classified under both categories!
Any other opinions? :wink:
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

It cannot be classified under both. Not a rule, but a bug in the system. I can classify this as Cantonese, no big deal.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Well as you asked for opinions - I'd search under Cantonese :D in the title field
But I would probably use Cantonese as the Language not multilingual even though it is not exactly correct.

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

David sent me a zip file of the coverart and I've used what I can
There are a few points about the 3 pdfs
The covers were great - and look great :clap:
But they are very large - the latest one from another member was 434kb and that had 3 different layouts including an origami version and that is about the average size - it depends a bit on the images. Yours was 14,376 kb and took me some time to upload and I have a good fast internet, many of the people who use the actual covers do not, so we try to bear that in mind.
The project page can only link 1 pdf under the image so if you wanted both formats (which is fine) you would need them in the 1 pdf - that's what others do and the origami ones make their own case - which is nice :D .
But I think the booklet deserves to be linked separately so that people can choose to have the coverart or the booklet. So could you and Ava work this out between you and let me know?

Anne
DavidReader

Post by DavidReader »

Hi Anne and Ava,
I am a newbie to this cd design business, so please bear with my blunders. :oops:
I did not realized that I have created the cdJewelcase file in such a large size, this is now adjusted to a more civilized level. I have also merged it with the OrigamiCDsleeve file into one cdCase.pdf. I have reuploaded the whole bunch of files in a new zip file. As to the booklet.pdf, I hope Ava may assist in providing a link to somewhere in the Librivox universe so that anyone who is interested may have access to it.
Thanks and apologize for the mess.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The covers are now fine, and I uploaded the booklet at the same time https://archive.org/download/english_and_cantonese_dictionary_2005_librivox/englishcantonesedictionary_2005_booklet.pdf.

Ava- I linked it in the database and called it readers booklet just so it was safe but it is quite easy to change or add other places like a summary. Whatever the 2 of you come up with.

Anne
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Great, I also added a link to the booklet where it is mentioned in the last paragraph of the summary. I know that some places use our summary verbatim, so this may help in spreading the word, I mean: the booklet.

And I changed the language to "Cantonese Chinese" too.

Well done David! I have to say I am greatly impressed with your dedication towards this project. :clap:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
DavidReader

Post by DavidReader »

Hi Ava and Anne,
Thanks many times over for both of your assistance! :thumbs:
At last the message in the bottle is thrown into the ocean. I may now start to work on another message.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Well if this bottle didn't sink, you can manage anything that interests you that you can find. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I agree with that, absolutely! :thumbs:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com