1 Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Emmalee

Post by Emmalee » May 20th, 2020, 6:19 pm

Hello!
This is my 1 minute test. This is my unedited version, I left it "raw" so that I can get the best advice! I used Windows, Audacity, and a USB mic. Thanks!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_emmalee.mp3

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » May 20th, 2020, 9:37 pm

Welcome and thank you for your test! :thumbs:

You sound good! Well done on figuring out all technical stuff, that is all correct.

There is some background hum, which we can get rid of easily with the Noise reduction tool. Select a few seconds of background noise only (no speech) and click Effect | Noise Reduction | Get Profile. Then select the whole recording (Ctrl+A), click Effect | Noise Reduction again, and use settings:

Noise Reduction: 10 dB
Sensitivity: 6
Frequency smoothing (bands) 6

and click OK.
You'll want to do it twice.

Right now, before noisecleaning the volume is right smack in the middle of our range (86-92 dB), which is perfect. However, when we take away background noise, the overall volume also goes down a little. After noise cleaning, I'd recommend amplifying a little as well. Select the whole recording. Click Effect > Amplify and use the setting Amplification as much as it will let you, but no more than 3. Please make sure to NOT check the box where it says Allow clipping. (I tested it out on your test, and it let me amplify by 1.something. It should be enough).

Please save, upload and post again in this thread so we can listen again. You're doing well!
Kathrine

Emmalee

Post by Emmalee » May 21st, 2020, 6:59 am

Thanks! I think I have done all of the suggested corrections. Let me know if I made a mistake or I need to fix something else!
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_emmalee.mp3

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » May 23rd, 2020, 8:21 am

Sounds great! Your test is PL OK, and you can head over to the Readers Wanted forums to claim a section or two that looks interesting. Have fun!
Kathrine