COMPLETE[PLAY]The Double Dealer by Congreve - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

You are on your own for sword. Probably involves some sorta mythic quest, elves, dragons, ladies in lakes, etc....

Thanks, Todd
EltonTheSnowman

Post by EltonTheSnowman »

Hi, I'd like to claim Lady Touchwood. :)
Matea Bracic

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
LydiaCW

Post by LydiaCW »

Could I claim Cynthia?
Lydia

Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomine tuo da glorium!
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Could take the role of Saygrace?

I could also take the role of the Footman - it is very short and occurs in a different act.

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you both.

Todd
dlantz

Post by dlantz »

I would like to try to read the stage directions for all the acts, sections 2 through 6 in the Magic Window. I assume that includes, in addition to Dryden's laudatory poem, all the "Act 2, Scene Thirteen" as well as the list of characters on stage at the start of the scene. Does it also include the descriptions of how some lines are said, given in brackets at the ends of those lines?

I would be willing to fill in the BOY's two short lines, but I am a bass, so it would have be in falsetto.

And should it all be submitted in the same .mp3 file, leaving the task of cutting and splicing to others?

Thanks for your consideration and advice. Dave
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

dlantz wrote: May 19th, 2020, 3:58 pm I would like to try to read the stage directions for all the acts, sections 2 through 6 in the Magic Window. I assume that includes, in addition to Dryden's laudatory poem, all the "Act 2, Scene Thirteen" as well as the list of characters on stage at the start of the scene. Does it also include the descriptions of how some lines are said, given in brackets at the ends of those lines?

I would be willing to fill in the BOY's two short lines, but I am a bass, so it would have be in falsetto.

And should it all be submitted in the same .mp3 file, leaving the task of cutting and splicing to others?

Thanks for your consideration and advice. Dave
Thank you.

Mostly right although not including the Boy lines - I like to give more people a chance, and also it helps listeners keep characters distinct. Also, one file per act. Here are some guidelines Sonia and I (mostly Sonia) have provided in the forum at times.

**You read the intro and outro words for each act. The words to say are in the first posting. There will be one file for each act.

**Please leave at least 4-5 seconds of silence (more is better) between each "chunk" you have to read. I will have to copy/paste each bit out of everyone's original file and paste it in the correct spot in the masterfile - and I start with your file when making the master. So it's helpful if you leave enough cutting out/cutting in space.

**You need to read carefully through the text, to find all the stage directions, so basically everything that is not being read by a character. (example: "closes door" or "laughs", "scene 3", Enters and Exits, things like that). Often they are in brackets, but maybe not always. Include words that describe how a character is supposed to say a line if something is given - "sadly", "abruptly", etc.

**If you read a character-description right at the beginning of the character's speech, you need to read the name of the character as well so a listener will know who is involved (something that would be visually obvious in a true performance). While when the direction shows up in the middle of a speech, you don't have to read the name becuz we already know who is speaking.
example: John (putting down the book): Now listen to me... (closing the door)...I need to tell you a secret.
**Here you would have to read all that is underlined. So the name in the beginning, but not repeated in the middle.

**Note that sometime this gets messy: instructions like "(aside)" etc may be at the end of the line of text though they apply to the words spoken ahead of the (aside). If those character words start all the way back at the beginning of the character line, then you need to add the character name first.

**As far as Dramatis personae go in the Act 1 file, please read the entire characteristics as I have in the MW, for example: "Satan, the great devil, read by..." -- then 5 seconds pause for editing -- "Pug, the less devil, read by ..." -- 5 seconds pause -- "Iniquity, the vice, read by ..." and so on. This is to make sure we have a complete set of voice credits, just in case one of the readers vanishes without handing in their voice credit. Also don't forget to read "Stage Directions, read by_______" We need your voice credit as well.

**If in doubt, just record it - easier for me to cut than to track you down when I discover I need something.

Any questions, just ask.

Thanks, Todd
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Ambsweet13 »

I can do the boy’s lines!
A.M.B. :roll:

Between illnesses, work, and vacation, May wasn't my best Librivox month. But I'm back and ready to do some more recording, editing, and PLing!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

:lol: I simply adore the voice of Saygrace !!! This is so hilarious. And that you managed to get through the obvious double-entendre lines with a still serious face is a miracle. :thumbs: Both roles PL ok, thanks, Algy !!!

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Ambsweet13 wrote: May 19th, 2020, 6:05 pmI can do the boy’s lines!
thank you for joining and welcome to the project :) I'll sign you up. I see you skipped the one-minute test ;) but your poem in the weekly poetry project seems to have the correct settings, so we can go with that,

This seems to be your first drama recording, so here are a few special rules which differ from the other LV projects:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file, which here should be: "Boy, read by [your reader name]"

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. It may not be necessary to read the whole play, especially here for this small role, but it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role. ;)

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting :mrgreen:

4) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 2-3 seconds. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [sits down]), also leave 2 seconds of pause there, because our editor later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his master file and it's helpful if he has enough space to fiddle with

That should be all, now have fun acting out !

(and that makes this project fully claimed !)

Sonia
Ambsweet13

Post by Ambsweet13 »

Here's is my 1 minute test.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_ambsweet13.mp3

I also posted it on the other forum. I had originally posted it a couple of days ago but no one looked at it. I got impatient and submitted a poem for weekly poetry so I should be good but I keep getting asked about the test so I redid it.

Between illnesses, work, and vacation, May wasn't my best Librivox month. But I'm back and ready to do some more recording, editing, and PLing!
Ambsweet13

Post by Ambsweet13 »

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd