COMPLETE: Silhouettes of Russian Writers, Issue 3 -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chulsky wrote: May 8th, 2020, 12:09 pmit does change if there is a soft sign "ь" in front, between the consonant and the vowel, though, e.g. "польёт" vs "полёт," could you possibly mean that?
no I meant a short 'i' sound for example, compared to a longer dragged 'eee' sound (like in English "bit" versus" beat"). Or 'uh' compared to 'ooooo'. (like in English "foot" versus "food") Well, maybe you don't have that I just didn't really pay attention to it.

Is there a huge different between "польёт" and "полёт" ? I guess if I had to read it aloud it would probably sound the same. Could you give me a short soundfile of this please, so I can hear the difference clearly ? I'm curious about this.
No problem, I just used to add translations in other projects, and you did not mind clarifications for "мир" vs "мiр" and "Tворец" vs "творец", so I thought this might be okay too
well the "мир" difference or the one where you added "кавычки", is different. There the difference was written in the text, and just by reading it one wouldn't hear the difference, for example a capital T or a small t. So it's ok to add that to make the difference. Saying a whole translation of a sentence is a difference in my opinion.

but thanks, it's PL ok now :)
That's funny, I tried to make my Russian accent even worse, as Chekhov meant it to be a badly accented French. :-)
:lol: no it sounded good
Yes, exactly. Meaning "holy father", not just "father."
ah ok, yes thanks, understood

Will try to PL the other section soon. Probably not over the weekend though.

Have a nice one !

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and Chekhov is finished :9: very interesting parts about the Cherry Orchard. I still haven't read that play, but I guess I should, it's such a classic.

I only found one cut to make here:

> at 14:39-14:45: repetition can be cut: "бросить в колодезь ключи от хозяйства" and a snapping

thank you, and have a good start in the new week

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Kitty wrote: May 11th, 2020, 1:17 am
... Chekhov is finished
Not exactly... we still have Chekhov's children and letters 8-). Then there will be a few shorter sections and some poetry, for our respite :-)
interesting parts about the Cherry Orchard. I still haven't read that play, but I guess I should, it's such a classic.
That's between you and Eichenwald :wink: , I like Chekhov's stories better than his plays. My favorite of his plays is Uncle Vanya, and there is an excellent tongue-in-cheek screen adaptation "Vanya on 42nd Street" :-)
After a 100 years, we see those writers a bit differently, and many of Y.E. judgements do not hold today.
> at 14:39-14:45: repetition can be cut
Posted:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/silhouettes3_06_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [37:07] for spot-PL

Дети у Чехова I and II:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/silhouettes3_07_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [31:46]
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/silhouettes3_08_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [29:58]
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chulsky wrote: May 13th, 2020, 4:15 pmI like Chekhov's stories better than his plays.
well Chekhov is probably still way too difficult for me to understand
and PL ok now :)

Will try to get to the other sections tomorrow

Thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

finished one hour of listening and it's beautifully narrated again. :thumbs:

I only have two tiny notes for the intro, the text itself is flawless:

for section 7:

> at 0:10: missed part of intro: "Эта запись проекта ЛибриВокс находится в общественном достоянии."

for section 8:

> at 0:04: missed part of intro: "Выпуск 3-й."

thank you, and have a nice weekend

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

gives me something to do ;) and your level of accuracy is still very high so I am not complaining :)

both sections Spot PL ok. Will try to get to the new ones soon

thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I had time for a a shorty ;) so I listened to this one first. And it's PL ok :) Would be cool if the next parts were shorter :9:

thanks

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Another shorty:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/silhouettes3_12_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [14:17]
I know, it's getting boring to listen about unfamiliar stuff in a foreign language, I do admire and appreciate your determination!
Sorry, there will be more multi-part essays, and those parts won't be short :(
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

all right, I just finished up with Chekhov :) Section 9 is already PL ok

but I have quite a few annotations for section 10. To my feeling, many pauses over 2 seconds are way too long for a listener. Each time I get "thrown out" of the story when the sound stops for too long. :( Maybe you could have a listen here and crop them all a bit (1.5 is fully enough in my opinion)

> from 2:16-2:18: (p. 82) between "надоело собственное присутствие" and "Особенно с тех пор" - long pause

> at 5:50: (p. 83) "Маша (сестра Мария Павловна) во время дороги делала вид" – you unecessarily repeat Masha again after the brackets

> at 6:50: (p. 83) missed line: "Случилось Чехову и шафером быть, на свадьбе доктора с поповной:"

> from 7:55-7:58: (p. 83) between "за свое произведение" and "Весьма утешительно" - long pause

> from 8:04-8:07: (p. 83) between "я спокоен за Данию" and "Я буду там" - long pause

> from 8:15-8:17: (p. 83) between "Черномордик" and "На фотографии" - long pause

> from 8:33-8:35: (p. 83) between "в Могилеве" and "Все эти шутки" - long pause

> from 9:24-9:26: (p. 84) between "свете был рай" and "Какие свадьбы" - long pause

> from 12:42-12:45: (p. 84) between "под руку" and "Природа и жизнь" - long pause

> from 13:24-13:27: (p. 85) between "чего-то ждет" and "Поэтическая идиллия" - long pause

> from 24:44-24:46: (p. 87) between "человеческого жребия" and "Morituri te salutant" - long pause

thanks, now I need a break. Will tackle the other section tomorrow.

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Kitty wrote: May 19th, 2020, 3:59 am ... just finished up with Chekhov :)
Congratulations! :)
many pauses over 2 seconds are way too long for a listener. Each time I get "thrown out" of the story when the sound stops for too long.
Yeah, I hear you! Incidentally, Russian commercial audiobook standard allows for veeery long pauses, 5 and more sec, but I did not mean to imitate them, just tried to separate adjacent quotes taken from different letters, but you are right, shortened to 1.5 - 2 sec. Even with the inserted missed line the track got shorter :-)
THANK YOU for the efforts of tracing all the pauses, I greatly appreciate them :9:
> at 5:50: (p. 83) "Маша (сестра Мария Павловна) во время дороги делала вид" – you unecessarily repeat Masha again after the brackets
I did that intentionally. Chekhov wrote "Маша во время дороги делала вид," and Y.E. inserted the clarification in parentheses. I want listeners to hear what Chekhov wrote and not think that he himself explained to the addressee who Masha is.
now I need a break.
No problem! One of my poetry projects is waiting for over a month for the DPL to finish her job, no problem :-)
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/silhouettes3_10_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 is ready for spot-PL and can wait :)
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chulsky wrote: May 19th, 2020, 7:09 amIncidentally, Russian commercial audiobook standard allows for veeery long pauses, 5 and more sec
:shock: what ! I would fall asleep at that pace :lol:

To me some pauses still feel a bit long, but I'll mark it PL ok now. A bit of a breathing space in between is not bad after all.
I did that intentionally. Chekhov wrote "Маша во время дороги делала вид," and Y.E. inserted the clarification in parentheses.
ok makes sense, yes I thought this was an optional note anyway, just wanted to note it in case it was an oversight

I see there are more sections...will try to do one at least today

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chulsky wrote: May 18th, 2020, 9:36 amhttps://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/silhouettes3_12_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [14:17]
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/silhouettes3_13_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [22:52]
I know, it's getting boring to listen about unfamiliar stuff in a foreign language, I do admire and appreciate your determination!
don't worry about it, it's good practice for me, and I would love to listen to just the sounds and voices even if I didn't understand a word. And since I understand at least a bit, this is a special bonus for me. :9: I am definitely not bored at all.

I managed two more sections and they are both perfectly PL ok. :thumbs: Thank you. Надсон at least sounds like a romantic poet I would like. :9:

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Thank you! Next one:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/silhouettes3_15_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [27:18]
No more shorties for a while :-(