Adopt an abandoned Project

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Post Reply
tDucepec
Posts: 18
Joined: May 18th, 2020, 7:46 am

Post by tDucepec » May 18th, 2020, 3:16 pm

I would like to adopt and abandoned project:

[Tagalog] Noli Me Tangere ni José Rizal (abandoned May 2014)
Text: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20228
Project thread: viewtopic.php?t=40005
Total # of sections: 65
Sections completed: 7 (2 PL OK, 1 easy edit, 2 other edits needed, 2 need PL)
File location: ~uploads/abandoned/noli_me_tangere_tagalog

Thank you.

TonyD :D

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 16761
Joined: November 18th, 2006, 4:37 pm

Post by knotyouraveragejo » May 18th, 2020, 5:33 pm

Hi Tony. Welcome to LibriVox.

It will be great if you adopt and can finish this Tagalog project.

However, first please complete and get an OK on a one-minute test to check your technical settings. It's not an audition, but to simply confirm that your files meet our requirements. Post your test in the Listeners Wanted Forum and an experienced LVer will have a listen and check the specs for you. It would be a shame to record a whole section, only to have to redo it because of some simple setting that is incorrect.

1-Minute Test

Also as a new reader, we strongly recommend that you record a section or two in group projects before embarking on a solo, so that you can get a sense of the amount of time and effort a commitment to a solo recording would entail, as well as become a little familiar with the community here and our process for submitting files, prooflistening, etc. As a soloist, you will be responsible not only for recording and editing all the sections, but you will also be your own book coordinator (BC) which means you will be responsible for entering all the information (titles, time, links) into the workflow system.

Once you are have completed the above, if you still want to do this project, come back and post in this same thread. Meanwhile, the thread will be moved to Book Suggestions once you have seen this post.
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 18371
Joined: August 1st, 2009, 11:30 pm
Contact:

Post by Availle » May 18th, 2020, 6:00 pm

Hi there and welcome!

Jo is right, it's best to get a bit of experience before starting a solo; solos can be very lonely work.

I would not recommend starting with this one... The English translation of this that we have is almost 20 hours long; even if you subtract the 2 hours of translator's introduction and the one hour or so that the previous reader has done, you're still at more than 15 hours. Recording and editing will take you 50 hours or more; it took me months to complete the English version.

I think it is better to start with a significantly shorter work as your first solo, so that you know what you're getting yourself into if you do decide to adopt this one.

I'm sorry to throw yet more cold water...
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox. "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com

tDucepec
Posts: 18
Joined: May 18th, 2020, 7:46 am

Post by tDucepec » May 18th, 2020, 6:13 pm

knotyouraveragejo wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 5:33 pm
Hi Tony. Welcome to LibriVox.

It will be great if you adopt and can finish this Tagalog project.

However, first please complete and get an OK on a one-minute test to check your technical settings. It's not an audition, but to simply confirm that your files meet our requirements. Post your test in the Listeners Wanted Forum and an experienced LVer will have a listen and check the specs for you. It would be a shame to record a whole section, only to have to redo it because of some simple setting that is incorrect.

1-Minute Test

Also as a new reader, we strongly recommend that you record a section or two in group projects before embarking on a solo, so that you can get a sense of the amount of time and effort a commitment to a solo recording would entail, as well as become a little familiar with the community here and our process for submitting files, prooflistening, etc. As a soloist, you will be responsible not only for recording and editing all the sections, but you will also be your own book coordinator (BC) which means you will be responsible for entering all the information (titles, time, links) into the workflow system.

Once you are have completed the above, if you still want to do this project, come back and post in this same thread. Meanwhile, the thread will be moved to Book Suggestions once you have seen this post.

Thank you for your reply.

I will do the 1-minute test. I will also reach out to the other group projects.

Cheers!

tDucepec
Posts: 18
Joined: May 18th, 2020, 7:46 am

Post by tDucepec » May 18th, 2020, 6:24 pm

Availle wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 6:00 pm
Hi there and welcome!

Jo is right, it's best to get a bit of experience before starting a solo; solos can be very lonely work.

I would not recommend starting with this one... The English translation of this that we have is almost 20 hours long; even if you subtract the 2 hours of translator's introduction and the one hour or so that the previous reader has done, you're still at more than 15 hours. Recording and editing will take you 50 hours or more; it took me months to complete the English version.

I think it is better to start with a significantly shorter work as your first solo, so that you know what you're getting yourself into if you do decide to adopt this one.

I'm sorry to throw yet more cold water...

Hi Availle,

Thank you for sharing your concern. I think I just got too excited. Just a little background as to where I'm coming from. I used to produce audiobooks way back when and this book was one of my projects. I know the demand of this kind of a project. This book has a special place in my heart and seeing it as an abandoned project made me feel sad.

If you think I should start with group projects and short stories, I'm all for it.

Cheers.

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 18371
Joined: August 1st, 2009, 11:30 pm
Contact:

Post by Availle » May 18th, 2020, 6:28 pm

Well, if you know what you're getting yourself into, that's fine with me. Most newbies on here don't. :wink:

It's still best to do a few chapters in a group project first thing after your test. We have a few procedures that need to be followed for everybody to be happy and for things to run smoothly. It's best to try them with experienced people around you rather than on your own in an endless solo.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox. "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com

tDucepec
Posts: 18
Joined: May 18th, 2020, 7:46 am

Post by tDucepec » May 18th, 2020, 6:35 pm

Availle wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 6:28 pm
Well, if you know what you're getting yourself into, that's fine with me. Most newbies on here don't. :wink:

It's still best to do a few chapters in a group project first thing after your test. We have a few procedures that need to be followed for everybody to be happy and for things to run smoothly. It's best to try them with experienced people around you rather than on your own in an endless solo.
Thank you Availle. I will find a group project I can participate in. I agree with you. I also need to get a feel of how things are done here, and work with experienced people.

I wish all the best. Regards.

tDucepec
Posts: 18
Joined: May 18th, 2020, 7:46 am

Post by tDucepec » June 6th, 2020, 11:11 am

knotyouraveragejo wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 5:33 pm
Hi Tony. Welcome to LibriVox.

It will be great if you adopt and can finish this Tagalog project.

However, first please complete and get an OK on a one-minute test to check your technical settings. It's not an audition, but to simply confirm that your files meet our requirements. Post your test in the Listeners Wanted Forum and an experienced LVer will have a listen and check the specs for you. It would be a shame to record a whole section, only to have to redo it because of some simple setting that is incorrect.

1-Minute Test

Also as a new reader, we strongly recommend that you record a section or two in group projects before embarking on a solo, so that you can get a sense of the amount of time and effort a commitment to a solo recording would entail, as well as become a little familiar with the community here and our process for submitting files, prooflistening, etc. As a soloist, you will be responsible not only for recording and editing all the sections, but you will also be your own book coordinator (BC) which means you will be responsible for entering all the information (titles, time, links) into the workflow system.

Once you are have completed the above, if you still want to do this project, come back and post in this same thread. Meanwhile, the thread will be moved to Book Suggestions once you have seen this post.

Hi knotyouraveragejo,

Do you think I can proceed with adopting this project? I know this project would take some time and I would like to get a head start.

Thank you. Cheers!

tDucepec

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 16761
Joined: November 18th, 2006, 4:37 pm

Post by knotyouraveragejo » June 6th, 2020, 1:06 pm

Hi Tony,

I have moved the thread to the LaunchPad for you. I need to find the files and move them so you can listen to the existing sections. I will post in the project thread when that is done.
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

tDucepec
Posts: 18
Joined: May 18th, 2020, 7:46 am

Post by tDucepec » June 6th, 2020, 1:45 pm

knotyouraveragejo wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 1:06 pm
Hi Tony,

I have moved the thread to the LaunchPad for you. I need to find the files and move them so you can listen to the existing sections. I will post in the project thread when that is done.
Sounds good. Thank you.

tDucepec

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 16761
Joined: November 18th, 2006, 4:37 pm

Post by knotyouraveragejo » June 6th, 2020, 2:43 pm

Here is the link to the thread

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=40005
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

Post Reply